LANTIRN Control for Pilot

VampireNZ

But he's right. It's a sim that aims at realism and it should stay that way.

But the guys in Charge have already announced that this mod will be disabled when Jester gets the ability to use LANTIRN. So, if you want to use the LANTIRN without a human RIO, you will have Jester to do so. No need for such a cheat mod.

My God QuiGon, what´s your problem man,you have posted in this thread several times your intransigent position not respecting OTHER people's opinion.

If you didn´t read the first post or the title, this thread is to ask Heatblur about the possibility of PLEASE including LANTIRN control for the pilot as AN OPTION (for those who DID NOT understand) in the future.

If you or other are against, simply DO NOT use THE OPTION or the MOD (that already reached 630 downloads), every person who posts something against your opinion you write another post wanting to impose your opinion.

Why do not you ask ED to remove labels, Game mode, easy comm, easy AAR, etc.

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and that totally unrealistic tracking pipper option in one of my favourite planes the Mig21. (That drives me crazy but I have learnt to let it go) :megalol:

If they do decide to gimp the mod then jester better up his game big time before they do.

I don't really have a dog in the race when it comes to LANTIRN, but I hope HB don't decide to prevent the mapping of any RIO functions to the front seat.

Jesters an adorable little guy but he's not really all that bright...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

My God QuiGon, what´s your problem man,you have posted in this thread several times your intransigent position not respecting OTHER people's opinion.

If you didn´t read the first post or the title, this thread is to ask Heatblur about the possibility of PLEASE including LANTIRN control for the pilot as AN OPTION (for those who DID NOT understand) in the future.

If you or other are against, simply DO NOT use THE OPTION or the MOD (that already reached 630 downloads), every person who posts something against your opinion you write another post wanting to impose your opinion.

Why do not you ask ED to remove labels, Game mode, easy comm, easy AAR, etc.

My problem is quite simple: I don't want DCS to become another arcade game and I would love labels, game mode easy comms and easy AAR to be gone, but that is not the topic here.

I don't really have a dog in the race when it comes to LANTIRN, but I hope HB don't decide to prevent the mapping of any RIO functions to the front seat.

Jesters an adorable little guy but he's not really all that bright...

They already did: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3899819#post3899819

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This discussion doesn't even belong here. Please move this to the mods subforum. Nobody's against mods unless they try to get into MP, esp. fictional ones like this one. Asking for it is like requesting flight stick for RIO.

LOL, that made my day. I'd like to see one demanding money back because they were not warned about the pilot disability to operate the targeting pods.

Btw: yes, I'm all for removing game modes, fast repairs, invisible sticks and whatnot.

It's a lie to say you cannot operate pods now - just seat back!

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

My problem is quite simple: I don't want DCS to become another arcade game and I would love labels, game mode easy comms and easy AAR to be gone, but that is not the topic here.

Fine by me, as long as you aren't requesting that your list be enforced in SP or on all MP servers*

You can enjoy your own hyper realistic server with all your like minded friends and the rest of us ( who can't see contacts without dot labels until they are at unrealistically short ranges ) can enjoy DCS too. It's called live and let live :)

*Ultimately you wouldn't get your way with your complete wishlist of things that should be Verboten ! anyway - because that would cripple ED's ability to sell modules.

Their userbase would shrink to a tiny handful of fanatics, which isn't a great business model :)

I think of it like this to keep the realism, I'm not pushing the button, I'm telling Jester to push the button. "Now Jester please turn the laser on" "Thank you" :)

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Fine by me, as long as you aren't requesting that your list be enforced in SP or on all MP servers*

You can enjoy your own hyper realistic server with all your like minded friends and the rest of us ( who can't see contacts without dot labels until they are at unrealistically short ranges ) can enjoy DCS too. It's called live and let live :)

*Ultimately you wouldn't get your way with your complete wishlist of things that should be Verboten ! anyway - because that would cripple ED's ability to sell modules.

Their userbase would shrink to a tiny handful of fanatics, which isn't a great business model :)

Or healthy to the flight sim world as a whole.

Or healthy to the flight sim world as a whole.

I don't think so. Imho couple of good game decissions, few tutorials here and there and everyone could be pointed to the right track, becoming a better pilot in the process with proper sim attitude. We need that in DCS and many are here to help newcomers.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Maybe, but lets behonest its a dying genre so the more player skill levels that can be catered for the better. If like me then they will naturally want to progress to harder andmore realistic playing levels. But the bottom line is to get more and more people flying pc planes.

Maybe, but lets behonest its a dying genre so the more player skill levels that can be catered for the better. If like me then they will naturally want to progress to harder andmore realistic playing levels. But the bottom line is to get more and more people flying pc planes.

The "hyper-realistic" Ka-50 was launch on 2008 and after 11 years, maintain very alive the franchise, with 20 "realistic" modules released, and more has incoming......

Edited by Silver_Dragon

In two months of online flying, I have had two people ask to sit in the back. Two. I feel as if some of the commenters in this thread would be happy for me to leave the Tomcat in the hangar for 58 nights out of 60.

It is unrealistic that the premier long range precision strike platform of the USN from the late 90s to the mid 00s cannot employ the LANTIRN pod. I hope HB considers making the workaround official and then provide some control for server admins to allow or disallow it.

In two months of online flying, I have had two people ask to sit in the back. Two. I feel as if some of the commenters in this thread would be happy for me to leave the Tomcat in the hangar for 58 nights out of 60.

Of course they would - as long as you are leaving the Tomcat in the hangar realistically :D

I can't understand all the whining:

1. Tomcat is a 2 man ship. it was always designed as such and always used as such. You know that when you bought it.

2. Jester is a great add-on to fly it alone. Fly once with a real RIO, and you won't fly with Jester anymore.

3. If you want a RIO/PILOT online, you'll find one. Of course, they are not waiting at the parking spots and waving with a big sign. You may also have to get your ass up to find one.

4. When reading here, it feels like the A2G role with the Lantirn is the only job the cat can do.

Be happy that HB plans to add Jesters ability to Lantirn, until there, use SP and 1 & 2 to learn it. Get a RIO/ PILOT for MP to get the most fun out of it.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

It is unrealistic that the premier long range precision strike platform of the USN from the late 90s to the mid 00s cannot employ the LANTIRN pod. I hope HB considers making the workaround official and then provide some control for server admins to allow or disallow it.

You will get the ability to employ the LANTIRN with Jester. No need for such a cheat mod anymore then. I think this is the main reason why a few people here are deliberatly fighting to make a cheat an official feature, because currently it is not possible to use LANTIRN without either using the cheat or having a human RIO, as Jester still lacks the ability to use LANTIRN. Once JESTER gets the ability I hope people will stop asking for cheats to become features.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Maybe, but lets behonest its a dying genre.

giphy.gif

I do so get tired of these kind of statements that are just blatantly not true. Sims have always been around and they'll continue to be.

---

I don't get the whining either, if you'd like to do it so much by yourself why get a 2 man crew module instead of the single seat modules like the A10, F18 to do strike missions with?

I didn't get the Tomcat just because of the iconic aircraft it is, it being multicrew and the inclusion of Jester AI if you're people shy or just like to fly solo also had to do with it for me. That my strike missions are currently limited because Jester AI can't use the lantirn yet is ok, I can wait and if I want I could just ask someone to jump in the back to do it instead. Never did it cross my mind that I'd like to take the job of the RIO in my own hands whilst also being the pilot.

It is unrealistic that the premier long range precision strike platform of the USN from the late 90s to the mid 00s cannot employ the LANTIRN pod. I hope HB considers making the workaround official and then provide some

control for server admins to allow or disallow it.

Like Viper said, you know there are other rolls, for instance interceptor/cap, that the Cat is fairly good at. Horses for courses. I have never used a LANTIRN pod on my own A/C to deploy GBUs. I'll fly the Harrier if I want to plink tanks or for serious CAS work. And no-one ever joins me as my RIO in MP either (because most prefer to pilot and I don't blame them), but as I said pages ago, get someone else to laze for you. Get on the radio and talk to other players.

And who said the Tomcat can't use the LANTRIN? We're just saying the PILOT can't do it. The only reason this mod even exists is because of the way the Pilot and RIO keybindings are programmed and exploited by the MOD. What you do on your personal computer is your choice, although it still won't make you a better Aviator.

Right. Just as well as it worked for Microsoft Flight. The standard ADD gamer out there is not going to be enamored by the level of simulation DCS employs. Yesterday I was flying over the Black Sea to a tanker. Spent the better part of 20 minutes just staring at blue water followed by having to do AAR. How many of the regular gamers, you are trying to recruit, are going to have the patience to fly deep strike missions just to get shot down after 45 mins in the air, without the ability to load their last quick save? They will buy it, get bored, and ditch it after a few hours. And probably complain that they had to pay $80 to do so. That's why arcade fighters exist. And that's fine. I'll play those if I'm looking for a different experience.

I am very concerned about what happens when a developer starts chasing new "majority" of players for revenue over fundamentals. Any studio that got swallowed by EA? Origin? Bioware? Bethesda?

I am very concerned about what happens when a developer starts chasing new "majority" of players for revenue over fundamentals. Any studio that got swallowed by EA? Origin? Bioware? Bethesda?

This! It worries me a lot and I wonder what MAC will do about it. In the best case it will give the arcade players a place where they feel happy and allow DCS to focus on the hardcore simmers.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can't see ED suddenly abandoning high fidelity combat sims to become a clone of one of those free to play, pay to win 'sims' where you sit above and behind your aircraft like it's Super Mario Kart :D

Modern era combat flight sims may not be the biggest pond at the moment, but ED are the biggest fish in it. The only fish actually. So why hop out of it for an uncertain future, competing with very well established companies that have the market sewn up ?

How's that for a metaphor ? :D

You and all the people who argue that there is no difference between doing something yourself and telling someone else to do something either have no experience in that regard or just ignore the differences that are there. It starts with the factor time, because if you tell someone to do something means it won't happen instantly unlike you're doing it yourself. Even Jester does simulate that for some functions. Then there is the factor of misscommunication, meaning that when you tell someone something you might mean something different than what the other person understands. And then there is of course the factor of independent behaviour, meaning that the other person can do things on his own without you asking him to do that, which can be positive as well as negative.

So no, it's not the same at all!

I don't have the energy to read this entire thread. But to respond to you, specifically:

Your position seems utterly nonsensical. Why should the pilot be able to give specific commands down to antenna position to Jester to operate the radar, but not the LANTIRN? Until you explain that, your entire argument is a complete illogical mess.

Jester is far from being realistic, which is why I would prefer him to not be there at all.. . . . if Jester wouldn't be a thing that would free up a lot of resources that could be used for the development of other functions.

Except they wouldn't have any of said resources, because almost nobody would have bought the Tomcat. Good job

Edited by Jester2138

I can't understand all the whining:

1. Tomcat is a 2 man ship. it was always designed as such and always used as such. You know that when you bought it.

2. Jester is a great add-on to fly it alone. Fly once with a real RIO, and you won't fly with Jester anymore.

3. If you want a RIO/PILOT online, you'll find one. Of course, they are not waiting at the parking spots and waving with a big sign. You may also have to get your ass up to find one.

4. When reading here, it feels like the A2G role with the Lantirn is the only job the cat can do.

Be happy that HB plans to add Jesters ability to Lantirn, until there, use SP and 1 & 2 to learn it. Get a RIO/ PILOT for MP to get the most fun out of it.

1. Yeah...so? This is DCS & HB promised this : "JESTER" AI: A new, lifelike AI that fills the role of RIO when flying in single-player or multiplayer mods without a human RIO." go & read the sales page!

2. Sure it's best to have a human RIO. But in my squad there's 4 Pilots for 1 RIO. And just because we like human RIO's doesn't mean everybody else like them. Besides see point 1.

3. And if you don't want one? The good ones are in the closed squads. There will always be a shortage of them.

4.This thread is about LANTIRN.

I don't have the energy to read this entire thread. But to respond to you, specifically:

Your position seems utterly nonsensical. Why should the pilot be able to give specific commands down to antenna position to Jester to operate the radar, but not the LANTIRN? Until you explain that, your entire argument is a complete illogical mess.

"Originally Posted by QuiGon viewpost.gif

Jester is far from being realistic, which is why I would prefer him to not be there at all.. . . . if Jester wouldn't be a thing that would free up a lot of resources that could be used for the development of other functions."

Except they wouldn't have any of said resources, because almost nobody would have bought the Tomcat. Good job

Exactly, very well said :thumbup:.

QuiGon you talk allot about how "cheating" this mod is & you don't want it in MP. But you seem not have any problems flying together with unrealistic, FC3 aircrafts, judging from your banner.....

All we are asking for is that this mod will be an Option in MP. If you don't like it don't use it ;).

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

1. The Tomcat is not able to be flown alone. HB promised Jester, they delivered Jester. You are able to fly the cat alone. Only Jesters ability to use the Lantirn is missing. Heatblur also said that he will learnt that. Its EA, not finished, so this function will also be coming.

You make a big failure: You think the cat was done to fly with Jester, and probably, if you like, with a human RIO.

Its the opposite: It was always designed to fly it together with someone else, Jester is only a solution to be able to fly it alone.

2. Its not the problem from our all that your squad is missing RIO's. And if so, then the cat might not be the right thing for you or your sqad. Have you ever been self flying as a RIO? Can you motivate people to fly as RIO? Maybe that would be a point to start for you in your squad.

I'm also a pilot, but I'm also capable of doing the RIO. And guess what, its always a lot of fun. And I can teach the guys in my squad being RIO, so also other see that this is great fun also. Thats a good way to get some great RIOs.

3. I already found some online and had a lot of fun with them. So if you want, you will. Once again, they are not waiting at the parked position wavung a sign. And if you don't want one, well, then...

4. Yeah, but if you don't have a RIO, then the Lantirn job is probably not the right one for you. The RIO in the backseat has so much more to do then just slewing and latching the laser. Don't forget, its a two man ship.

For me, this whole mimimimi that the LANTIRN can't use from the pilot seat shows me only one thing:

You bought the wrong plane. You did not know how it is / was used and what you can do with it and what not.

Its for me the same category like the whining that there is no speed and altitude on the HUD.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

This is DCS & HB promised this : "JESTER" AI: A new, lifelike AI that fills the role of RIO when flying in single-player or multiplayer mods without a human RIO." go & read the sales page!

Oh, boy, they really worded it like that! :music_whistling:

1. Yeah...so? This is DCS & HB promised this : "JESTER" AI: A new, lifelike AI that fills the role of RIO when flying in single-player or multiplayer mods without a human RIO." go & read the sales page!

Nowhere on the Heatblure store page does it say multiplayer mods

go read again also you might want to scroll further down to see quite a important note.

NOTE: Some features may not be available immediately at Early Access.

link:https://store.heatblur.com/products/test-product

Jester AI is there already, he's missing the capability to use the Lantirn but he'll be getting that and will be improved to do his job even better.

2. Sure it's best to have a human RIO. But in my squad there's 4 Pilots for 1 RIO. And just because we like human RIO's doesn't mean everybody else like them. Besides see point 1.

1st of all, you should revise point 1. 2nd if people don't like to fly it with a other person HB is providing a AI to do the job so you can fly solo.

3. And if you don't want one? The good ones are in the closed squads. There will always be a shortage of them.

If you don't want one then you have to do with the Jester AI, so far what I see on public servers there's no shortage for RIO's from what I can tell, you just have to wave one down to join your aircraft by at least announcing you're looking for a RIO to do a mission. Ofcourse I can't guarantee there's always one right away every day.

4.This thread is about LANTIRN.

I thought this thread was about the pilot being able or should not be able to do a job that's not his to do.

QuiGon you talk allot about how "cheating" this mod is & you don't want it in MP. But you seem not have any problems flying together with unrealistic, FC3 aircrafts, judging from your banner.....

Well I don't have FC3 aircraft but from what I've heard apart from not having a clickable cockpit their modelling in terms of avionics and weapon systems is not as simplistic as you're making them to be. Others that know more about this may correct me if I'm wrong.

All we are asking for is that this mod will be an Option in MP. If you don't like it don't use it ;).

I think that's more for the server(s) to decide. I personally don't care what people do in Single player or Private server with their installations. I'm however not going to complain if HB makes it impossible after Jester can use the Lantirn himself. Should it be a option ? Well that's up to HB to decide and if they do then MP use should be for servers to decide.

Edited by HunterICX

Nowhere on the Heatblure store page does it say multiplayer mods

go read again...

Unfortunately it is on DCS e-shop page:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tomcat/

I know, misspelling, or is it? ;)