Awesome video that shows what DCS looks like in a wide FOV VR HMD!

glassy99

SweViver has just released this awesome video that shows the difference between wide FOV VR and normal VR:

(DCS is at 7:41)

He is using wide angle cameras to capture through the lenses videos of the whole field of view available in Pimax 5K+ compared to Oculus Rift.

As you can see, there is a really big difference!

This is why I've been blown away with DCS in my Pimax 8K .. the immersion factor is so high.

DCS really is an awesome experience in Pimax HMDs.

It is true some newer HMDs might have a bit of edge in terms of clarity .. but for FOV Pimax is definitely still the best. I hope other manufacturers begin doing wide FOV soon. For now I am waiting for the Pimax 8K-X which will be high res plus wide FOV.

Edited by glassy99

I would be interested in pimax, but I just can't imagine how a game like DCS which is far from perfect on one of the older headsets, could possibly handle the demands of one of these better headsets. So it might look good, but does it run smooth in comparison to say a rift or a Vive?

I feel like I've waited 3 years for performance to get as good as it presently is on my VIVE, but if I were to buy a new VR head set, I'd get an increase in VR wow factor maybe, but be set back to the start again performance wise!

There is nothing more immersion breaking than bad performance, and I think its the kind of thing people overlook when they get a new toy, but over time it will begin to frustrate.

I really like the sound of the new reverb and I'm probably going to get one, but I want to hear more about the performance side of things before investing. Not sure either, because of the CPU limitations of DCS itself, if a GPU upgrade would really do much in that regard either, or at least not relative to the cost.

So as honestly and as objectively as possible, how do you think the Pimax performs in VR in comparison to say a rift/vive? Same question for the reverb as well if anyone knows.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I would be interested in pimax, but I just can't imagine how a game like DCS which is far from perfect on one of the older headsets, could possibly handle the demands of one of these better headsets. So it might look good, but does it run smooth in comparison to say a rift or a Vive?

I feel like I've waited 3 years for performance to get as good as it presently is on my VIVE, but if I were to buy a new VR head set, I'd get an increase in VR wow factor maybe, but be set back to the start again performance wise!

There is nothing more immersion breaking than bad performance, and I think its the kind of thing people overlook when they get a new toy, but over time it will begin to frustrate.

I really like the sound of the new reverb and I'm probably going to get one, but I want to hear more about the performance side of things before investing. Not sure either, because of the CPU limitations of DCS itself, if a GPU upgrade would really do much in that regard either, or at least not relative to the cost.

So as honestly and as objectively as possible, how do you think the Pimax performs in VR in comparison to say a rift/vive? Same question for the reverb as well if anyone knows.

This is part of my concern as well.

The other part is I'd need a new CPU,GPU, and then the lighthouses and Pimax headset. We're talking over $2000 in upgrades, closer to 3000, for a wider FOV.

Just not convinced of the return on investment over my Oculus CV1 at this time.

Whilst I would not mind the increased FOV, I have just never been much a fan of Pimax and have ruled them out for me personally.

I would consider Reverb, but seeing some disturbing early reports and I am not sure the clarity would be enough of an improvement over my Rift S to justify the dollars. Will see after the dust settles from these early units they are sending out.

Keeping an eye on Index, but there again hard to justify the dollars for it especially as I am not

sure the image clarity would be enough of a bump over Rift S. I will wait and see some user feedback on the forums when more of them get out in the field.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well for starters, SweViver works for Pimax now so of course he's going to champion the company's primary selling point.

Second, spotting at range, image clarity and cockpit readability is far more important to me than some peripheral vision. I'd rather have 110 FoV and a crisp image than 150+ with everything blurry.

Well for starters, SweViver works for Pimax now so of course he's going to champion the company's primary selling point.

Second, spotting at range, image clarity and cockpit readability is far more important to me than some peripheral vision. I'd rather have 110 FoV and a crisp image than 150+ with everything blurry.

:thumbup:

I am with you there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You can spot planes from 5 and 10 miles out in P5K+. You can't identify what plane it is, because my test mission has the planes flying in the (near) same horizontal plane as my plane.

But I intend to create another mission that lets me look down on planes.

This weekend, I will upload some P5K+ visual clarity/commentary videos. My Reverb should be here NLT Monday so I want to repeat like for like missions.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can spot planes from 5 and 10 miles out in P5K+. You can't identify what plane it is, because my test mission has the planes flying in the (near) same horizontal plane as my plane.

But I intend to create another mission that lets me look down on planes.

This weekend, I will upload some P5K+ visual clarity/commentary videos. My Reverb should be here NLT Monday so I want to repeat like for like missions.

Are you going to zip tie the cable to the back of the headset or free ball it and see if the cable connection holds up ? Mine should be here Wednesday ...think I'm gonna zip it .

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

:thumbup:

I am with you there.

Me three :thumbup:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Whilst I would not mind the increased FOV, I have just never been much a fan of Pimax and have ruled them out for me personally.

I would consider Reverb, but seeing some disturbing early reports and I am not sure the clarity would be enough of an improvement over my Rift S to justify the dollars. Will see after the dust settles from these early units they are sending out.

Keeping an eye on Index, but there again hard to justify the dollars for it especially as I am not

sure the image clarity would be enough of a bump over Rift S. I will wait and see some user feedback on the forums when more of them get out in the field.

Why have you ruled Pimax out?

Yeah not high on my priorities either, I’ve never thought to myself god I wish I had a better FOV, just kind of role play that my view is somewhat restricted due to wearing googles or something. Better resolution though would be fantastic, once we can get the kind of image clarity we can get in 2D I think a game like DCS will look basically real!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I'm a Pimax 5k+ owner and formerly Rift CV1 user,I can tell you Large FOV in game is a Huge difference for me,Yes,There is some distortion on the outer edges of the lens but the more Panoramic view you get makes up for it in immersion.

Patrick

mini.gif

Yeah not high on my priorities either, I’ve never thought to myself god I wish I had a better FOV, just kind of role play that my view is somewhat restricted due to wearing googles or something. Better resolution though would be fantastic, once we can get the kind of image clarity we can get in 2D I think a game like DCS will look basically real!

I can tell you (having used P5K+) FOV is a big deal. But it's one of those things that you'll never know until you've used it.

Kind of like our perennial "my 4K is awesome and you VR people suck" debate. You can't convey the value of VR with words. And for the same reason, you can't convey the value of FOV with words"

There's a part of me that wishes I've never purchased the 5K+. I believe Reverb will be clearer than Pimax. But if the Reverb is "little bit" better than P5K+, I'll likely keep the latter.

But I'll know when it gets delivered on Monday. But since signature is required, I'm going to have to go to Mission Impossible mode. My wife is going to need a plan every time she is more than 3 seconds away from the buzzer to answer the door. :D

With UPS I can track where the truck is in real time. With Fedex it's "you'll get it when you get it" How times have changed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Im on the fence between pimax and the index. with the pimax you dont have to iinstall steam VR just launch DCS from occulus home inside pitools right?but Ive been reading quite people are having difficulty with pitools and other software related issues ,also I read somewhere that the wider the field of view in pimax degrades the image drastically?I also noticed in that youtube video that the images of the dashboard in the fa 18 over lapped quite a bit.

Edited by SkipCarey

I can tell you (having used P5K+) FOV is a big deal.

I'm sure it feels like a big deal and is very immersive.

But from a practicality standpoint, I need to be able to clearly read my instruments and indicators without zooming before I need to see the ground blurring off to the side of my head.

I would think the Pimax gives a better impression of speed , as well as conferring other benefits . However , i have the same concern regarding it as i do the Lenovo Rift - build quality .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I would think the Pimax gives a better impression of speed , as well as conferring other benefits . However , i have the same concern regarding it as i do the Lenovo Rift - build quality .

Yea, I would love the wide FOV, but seeing on Reddit the posts about the cracks on the HMD, seeing the black dots, seeing how poor Pimax CS is, and seeing how bad PiTools is...I think the Index is what I'll get.

I don't think the image clarity will be that noticable over Rift S tbh. For me I want the FoV the Index will give me, in addition to the clarity over Gen 1. That isn't to say it's big - the point being, as I mentioned in another thread, with my 69mm IPD, the Rift S FoV was appalling - far worse than CV1, so the Index should fix that for me. Having a possible extra 10-30° over CV1 is just a bonus.

That FoV in -S was the sole reason for sending it back. I'm fine with the FoV in CV1, but if we can have more at a reasonable price as far as price and required hardware is concerned, so much the better.

I'm with you on Pimax, though - from the first vids I had my doubts and this year just confirms my choice - and I couldn't really care about not having that headset's FoV right now. It's the whole package that counts.

If the Index comes out and bombs or has serious issues, I will simply not go through with the order and rebuy Quest, using ALVR/VD for sims and continue with CV1 as ness.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm sure it feels like a big deal and is very immersive.

But from a practicality standpoint, I need to be able to clearly read my instruments and indicators without zooming before I need to see the ground blurring off to the side of my head.

That's exactly what P5K+ allows you to do. That's why I can see the planes at 5 and 10 miles out. The clarity between Rift CV1 and P5K+ is dramatic.

Their customer service is horrible. Just ignoring customers is a horrible move. I'll be the first to point that out. But the build quality is no worse, no better than Vive, Odyssey, or CV1. I've had them so I can make the contrast.

The software is not up there. But the key part is that it's being updated frequently. It's no where near where CV1 is, but they also had 3-4 years to get it right with DK1 and 2. So I'm not at all concerned about them achieving rock solid software soon.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

For people who want plug and play and don't want to spend a single minute tweaking things .. then Pimax would not be a good choice. But for the sake of immersion, I think the tweaking is worth it.

People dismiss Pimax too easily, while many who use it say they love it. (It is also true though that some didn't like their Pimax.)

My recommendation is to find a chance to try it and see if you like it. Maybe meet a friend who has one.

But actually, right now my recommendation is to wait for the 8K-X if you want the best (resolution PLUS fov). However, it could be a while and the price will probably be expensive. So a 5K+ now or an Index seem to be good choices.

For people who want plug and play and don't want to spend a single minute tweaking things .. then Pimax would not be a good choice. But for the sake of immersion, I think the tweaking is worth it.

People dismiss Pimax too easily, while many who use it say they love it. (It is also true though that some didn't like their Pimax.)

My recommendation is to find a chance to try it and see if you like it. Maybe meet a friend who has one.

But actually, right now my recommendation is to wait for the 8K-X if you want the best (resolution PLUS fov). However, it could be a while and the price will probably be expensive. So a 5K+ now or an Index seem to be good choices.

I would say the reverse and I truly mean it. Once you see the wider FOV, Rift CV1's of the world will feel positively claustrophobic. So if you're just curious and have no intention of getting Pimax, don't take it for a test spin.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

That's exactly what P5K+ allows you to do. That's why I can see the planes at 5 and 10 miles out. The clarity between Rift CV1 and P5K+ is dramatic.

I have no doubt that it's better than the 1st gen Rift and I'm glad you're happy with yours.

But I've seen the through the lens comparisons and I've read the opinions of the owners of multiple HMDs. The clarity, sharpness and PPI is squarely in the top end of the 1.5 generation. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's not good enough for me and it's not good enough to justify the $8-900 asking price compared to something like the Reverb.