F-14B Cockpit _continued_ - Page 3 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #21
Nexus-6
Junior Member
 
Nexus-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy31 View Post
The F-14B has always been my favorite variant of my favorite airplane. Like many of you I am excited for this release. I just hope Heatblur will continue development of the B model after release and incorporate the Sparrowhawk HUD somewhere down the line.
I seem to remember reading a post that Cobra made in regards to the Sparrowhawk.

Something about preferring to just make the 'D' 'Cat instead of the upgraded 'B' if and when they ever decided to model it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
__________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 AM   #22
Gunslinger22
Member
 
Gunslinger22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 119
Default

I see no point in adding the Sparrowhawk, considering it only really came very late in the A+/B’s life, it really isn’t that great in its history. When I think of the Tomcat I don’t think of its last years of service. I think of the era the thankfully Heatblur is simulating. The glorious 80’s and to a lesser extent the 90’s.
__________________
"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."
Gunslinger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #23
CheckGear
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger22 View Post
I see no point in adding the Sparrowhawk, considering it only really came very late in the A+/B’s life, it really isn’t that great in its history. When I think of the Tomcat I don’t think of its last years of service. I think of the era the thankfully Heatblur is simulating. The glorious 80’s and to a lesser extent the 90’s.

1985 - 1995 seems to be the time period they're aiming for. Especially since they've got the AI A-6 coming out as well. By the time Sparrowhawk was introduced, the A-6 was long gone. I do agree that the Sparrowhawk is unnecessary.
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #24
BlackLion213
Senior Member
 
BlackLion213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Fransciso Bay Area
Posts: 1,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Just wanting some clarification if we could get it.

In the livestream the B model is clearly being flown with the GE engines. But the A model cockpits are the ones being shown.





Thanks!
So this photo is pretty good, but with one notable error: there is no "F-14A+" cockpit since it is the exact same as the F-14B (logically since the F-14A+ and F-14B are the same airplane).

The cockpit labeled as "F-14A+" in the photo is a F-14A cockpit upgraded with the ALR-67, which is an upgrade applied to some F-14A squadrons that were expected to stick with the aircraft past the late-90s (like VF-154 and VF-211).

All F110 powered F-14s have the LCD engine gauges as depicted in the photos to the right.

There is a consistent confusion around the issue of "F-14A+" vs "F-14B", but they are the same airplane. Before 1992 the airplane was called the F-14A+, but after 1992 it was re-designated the F-14B with no associated hardware or software changes - just a "label" change.

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
steven43291
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLion213 View Post
So this photo is pretty good, but with one notable error: there is no "F-14A+" cockpit since it is the exact same as the F-14B (logically since the F-14A+ and F-14B are the same airplane).

The cockpit labeled as "F-14A+" in the photo is a F-14A cockpit upgraded with the ALR-67, which is an upgrade applied to some F-14A squadrons that were expected to stick with the aircraft past the late-90s (like VF-154 and VF-211).

All F110 powered F-14s have the LCD engine gauges as depicted in the photos to the right.

There is a consistent confusion around the issue of "F-14A+" vs "F-14B", but they are the same airplane. Before 1992 the airplane was called the F-14A+, but after 1992 it was re-designated the F-14B with no associated hardware or software changes - just a "label" change.

-Nick
I can tell you that in the fleet there was a distinction. I was in VF-101 from 90-93 and we had birds we called A+ (avionics upgrade with old engines) and birds we called B (avionics and engine upgrade). Now maybe in the Navy official history there is no difference, and these birds had simply had their avionics upgraded and were waiting on a slot to go to NADEP NORVA to get their engines done, I don’t know. But I can tell you that to the folks in the fleet there was definitely an A+ and a B.
__________________
steven43291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #26
brianjmac
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckGear View Post
1985 - 1995 seems to be the time period they're aiming for. Especially since they've got the AI A-6 coming out as well. By the time Sparrowhawk was introduced, the A-6 was long gone. I do agree that the Sparrowhawk is unnecessary.
The LANTIRN pod was introduced to the fleet in 1996 so it would seem that the time period of our Tomcat would extend to at least that year.
__________________
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel i5-7600K @4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11GB | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4/3200MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB and 250GB | ASUS Prime Z270-A | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 | Dell 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz GSYNC | Saitek X-55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset
brianjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #27
CheckGear
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmac View Post
The LANTIRN pod was introduced to the fleet in 1996 so it would seem that the time period of our Tomcat would extend to at least that year.

How did the Tomcat drop laser-guided bombs during Operation Deliberate Force in August - September 1995? Buddy-lasing/FAC?
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #28
Dudikoff
Senior Member
 
Dudikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Croatia / Lebanon
Posts: 2,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmac View Post
The LANTIRN pod was introduced to the fleet in 1996 so it would seem that the time period of our Tomcat would extend to at least that year.
Well, yes and no. When the LTS pod was introduced operationally, it was used with the PTID display, but HB are simulating some supposed test variant where the LTS pod picture was shown on the TID screen (the bowl). These tests were done in 1995.

I say supposed, because I don't remember seeing any unambiguous proof that the TID display was used there or even being capable of this.
__________________
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 10-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #29
brianjmac
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckGear View Post
How did the Tomcat drop laser-guided bombs during Operation Deliberate Force in August - September 1995? Buddy-lasing/FAC?
From what I have read, yes, the targets were lased by Hornets.
__________________
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel i5-7600K @4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11GB | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4/3200MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB and 250GB | ASUS Prime Z270-A | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 | Dell 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz GSYNC | Saitek X-55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset
brianjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #30
steven43291
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Well, yes and no. When the LTS pod was introduced operationally, it was used with the PTID display, but HB are simulating some supposed test variant where the LTS pod picture was shown on the TID screen (the bowl). These tests were done in 1995.

I say supposed, because I don't remember seeing any unambiguous proof that the TID display was used there or even being capable of this.
I can’t say if it was used since that was after my time on Tomcats (I was an AT, got out in 95), but the F-14A TID was certainly capable. One of our favorite time killers was playing with the TCS in the back seat, tracking people walking around the line and whatnot. The RIO was the primary user of the TCS.
__________________
steven43291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:17 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.