Red Flag Mirage campaign impressive work! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Accipiter

Default Red Flag Mirage campaign impressive work!

So, after the flight in to Nellis and the first mission completed, introduction to the range, here's my first impressions.

Its a brilliant!

The only thing I noted was, after landing (tour of Red Flag area) I received a radio message from AWACs about the Aggressors, who came up for a play. Apparently, when I was showboating with an Aggressor Tiger, there was some AWACs message that wasn't played right away. It got played after I landed. But that's the only minor glitch! There are so many messages, its totally compelling and makes the campaign come alive.

The first flight over the range really put me there. I especially enjoyed the banter about area 51 and the way the Eagle driver didn't want to talk much about it, especially when the French leader got cocky and mentioned "conspiracy theories!...LOL!!

Well done Baltic Dragon.

Now I'm off to do mission 2. Lets see if I can protect those chaps in the Dambuster squadron from Lossiemouth!

Tally Ho!

Regards
David
Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Accipiter

Mission #2 was a botch. Had to re start the campaign.

After missing a radio call, a space bar hit, during the wp#4 to wp#5 patrol. Nothing happened for 35 minutes. The Monsters, Tornado's, flew their pattern and RTB. However after hitting the space bar, after 35 minutes, the Tornados suddenly began reporting all their targets, trouble was, they were back at Nellis?

Seems like, after hitting space bar late, the mission kept running its program, from where it thought the mission was, but the aircraft were all out of place?

By this time I was Bingo so had to RTB. Then all hell broke loose over the FEBA. The F15 and F16 mopped up the Phantoms and Migs. I crashed after running out of fuel! LOL

The moral of the tale is, don't miss a space bar hit, keep on the correct freq. The mission seems to run on a time from space bar hit, clock. Get that wrong and your sunk!

I will try again tomorrow.

Regards
David
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
baltic_dragon
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Mission 2 = third mission, the first "combat" one with ELINT?

Yeah, there you need to do a recon and try to find and identify the ground forces, if you don't the triggers for you won't work properly, but the rest will play out normally. My one advice is to really carefully read all the briefing materials and study the kneeboard with notes and frequencies before each take off. Radio discipline is one of the hardest aspects of this campaign, and even I - testing each mission many times over - did some mistakes there, so no worries.
Let me know how it plays out on the second try!

One question - was the turning sequence at waypoints OK or did the lead in F-15 commence turns after / before the countdown? It tends to change every other update
M-2000C RED FLAG (more info) (trailer)

Last edited by baltic_dragon; 10-11-2018 at 06:01 PM.
baltic_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Accipiter

Hi, the Eagles seemed to turn OK.

I missed just the one "reply", the press space bar.....?

I didn't realise I had missed it until I saw the Tornados leaving the area without any ID of any targets?

I finally hit space bar after 30 minutes and down to 1800 lbs fuel. Then the Tornados began reporting the enemy ID's? By that time they were back at Nellis. I figured that perhaps the missing space bar acknowledgement, messed up all the mission timings? The whole area then went active with bogeys and all sorts of positions!

After crashing, I re started the whole campaign. Enjoyed the fly in again and the recce of the Red Flag area. I heard some more speech that I'd missed the first time!!

However, after two perfect first missions, I got a score of 85? Previously it was 100!

Also noticed after landing after the recce, I couldn't select Tower and space bar wasn't giving me the acknowledgement! Maybe that's why I only got 85?

I am sure I was on the correct freqs but just missed the vital acknowledgement to activate the Tornado's on their ELINT!

All great fun!

Cheers.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
baltic_dragon

What do you mean that you couldn't select the tower? On the radio? You probably do, but can you confirm that you have the Easy Comms OFF?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Accipiter

Confirm easy comms are off.

After landing, the mission requested I tune to tower and gave the frequency. So I saw it was channel 3 frequency. Tuned to 3 and hit space bar. No result. I tried manually tuning the freq. Selected manual mode on tuner, still no response. Info message stayed on across the screen, like it had stuck or something?

So I taxied to parking, shut down and exited mission. Mission was shown completed, but only got 85 score.

Cheers

David
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
baltic_dragon

Thanks, I'll check. Probably some bogus flag somewhere.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
Accipiter

Hello again.

Mission 3, ELINT, completed. Here's the review.

BTW I am not moaning here. I think the Campaign is superb! But there are funny things that you may be able to fix? Please tell me if these reports are no use to you, and I will shut up!

First, the enemy AI Phantoms launched a barrage attack, 4 in all, of Sparrows, I died.

Re did mission. LOL.

This time Super A.I. Eagles mopped up all enemy aircraft with their Amrams. I got one Magic off, only to miss as it was spoofed by flares! LOL!

Monster flight survived, but only because of super AI Eagles.

Tried to direct my wingman on to tanker. He just says "negative". I think maybe you have to put something in the campaign to get the wingmen to obey refuelling order? Or maybe not, since they are difficult. Anyway, he made it back to Nellis and landed!

After landing at Nellis, I got the "hit spacebar and tune to ground for taxi". The space bar did not trigger any message to or from ground. So I taxied in, shut down, and mission was complete. Looks like that last flag is missing?

I then noticed Monster 1 was circling at the west side of Nellis. They continued to circle for 15 minutes, then they collided with each other and ejected. The mission result was unchanged. I guess they didn't want to land since they were enjoying the view so much...LOL!

Anyway, on to the night mission.

Regards
David
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
baltic_dragon

Thanks! Feedback like this is always useful!

So: I have very little control over AI. Most of the times they are doing OK, but they do stupid things every now and then - something you have to get used to and ignore. Like what Monster did at the end... or wingmen who will run out of fuel and crash. Until ED addresses that there is not much I can do.

For Ground you sure it wasn’t in reverse order? First tune to Ground then press space bar + I think it only works when you are clear of the active runway. I will check that.

Sorry about the trouble with AI, hope it will be better later on!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
Accipiter

That's OK Baltic, so long as you don't mind my feedback!

Just did the follow on mission, night mission, number #4.

Did better here, strangely?

Noticed again after landing, selecting ground on channel 3, space bar didn't trigger anything. You could be right, it may be me that's not selecting ground and then pressing space bar? Anyway, doesn't affect mission if its successful.

Re A.I. They acted stupid on return to base on this mission. Two Mirages ejected, almost home!! Annoyingly we were loss free up to that point!

The most important report, is the self destructing Mig 29's?

I crossed FEBA, with permission, engaged the Mig 29's, killed a clever arse Mig doing a climb up and zero speed tail slide??? However, then the 3 remaining Migs flew away a couple of clicks and then self destructed?

I only saw what they did on TACVIEW replay. Otherwise I wouldn't have known where they went!

I don't know if you intended them to self destruct, but that's what happened. They didn't crash into the ground, they just blew up! Then the Tigers joined the melee and were mopped up by the F15's who had dropped their bombs.

Seemingly, the A.I. is the PITA for designers like you. You try to crate a balanced mission, but are up against all odds with A.I who are super human killers one minute and dumb arsed idiots the next!

Anyway, enjoying the Campaign greatly.

Regards
David