P-51 Dogfighting and Online Dogfighting? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #11
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
Be interested to see what he has to say.
Absolutely. And please tell us too what he thought about it. S!

Last edited by msalama; 10-11-2018 at 10:36 PM.
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
AureliusAugustus

Another questions guys, I have eject mapped to a switch and when I press it, nothing happens. I have tried pulling the canopy eject button first and then regular ejecting, but nothing happens. I never see myself flying out of or climbing out of the plane. Am I missing something here, or do I need to do something else first?

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
BuzzU

Hit the button 3 times

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:26 AM   #14
AureliusAugustus

Thank you Buzz! I did indeed eject and I did indeed splash down in the water, .... and then swam to shore quickly to avoid any sharks

My next question guys, is I see "Create Mission" but what I don't see is a place where I can pick a 1 vs 1 dogfight versus another P51 for example, and where I can set how much gas I start out with and what armament. I tried a dogfight vs another P51 but my plane handles like a hippo bc it is loaded with full gas tanks. If I can get the fuel load down to about 20%, the P51 handles very much better. In IL2 1946 there is a Quick Mission Builder that lets you set enemies, your plane, your gas level, ... everything. I don't see where that is in DCSW?

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Last edited by AureliusAugustus; 10-12-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 AM   #15
tom_19d

No QMB in DCS. You will have to place your aircraft and the enemy aircraft and set the initial altitude/airspeed/aspect. It isn’t that big of a deal once you do it a time or two, I would save them as “P51 1v1, merge” etc so you can adjust and use them again.

When you click on your aircraft in the ME, you will have a number of tabs to pick from to let you set your radio frequencies, enable equipment failures, etc. One of those is the loadout tab. You can set your weapon and fuel load there. The same is true for enemy aircraft.
tom_19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
Captain Orso

I would not suggest doing head-on-head with the same a/c while learning. There are literally no advantages you might exploit, unless you fly against a poor AI, which is also not a good way to learn.

I would suggest flying against the FW 190D-9 set to average pilot skills. If you need an handy-cap in the beginning, give your a/c an height advantage of 500 or 1000 feet and set your a/c to be flanking the FW, and leave Labels 'On'. You will have enough to do to keep up with the FW, without losing him every time he passes by. Sighting is a real bitch in VR.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #17
Cik

you should get used to having an altitude advantage, because you will need it as a crutch the majority of the time. get used to attacking with an energy advantage and then exiting the fight when it turns against you.
Cik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
AureliusAugustus

Guys, how do you dump fuel in the P-51? I don;t want to fool with learning the mission editor right now, I just want to dump some fuel until I have about 20% in my fuselage tank and fight.

As to fighting the AI, perhaps it is because I specialize in fighting online, and have fought so many great fighters in IL2 1946, IL2 BOS, and ROF, but I find the enemy dogfighting skills to be .... mehh. Perhaps I am missing some setting or something, but so far the fights are not hard at all.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #19
saburo_cz

If You want change fuel quantity, just open "Rearming and Refueling Window" and set it.
LAlt + ', keys are in Options - Controls - category : General

Your plane must be on ground, does not matter if engine is running or not, only plane must be stop.

If You want online fight, do not try it with 20% fuel in fuselage tank!
Mostly, planes spawn with 67% (it is default value in mission editor), this is full wings tanks and empty fuselage.

Your chance to do something will rise when you take less than 50% of fuel, and still You will have more fuel than Your enemies...
Remember people who recomended 30% of fuel, no more, I take 45% on BS server.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_181013_101557.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	195853  
Old 10-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
Captain Orso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
Guys, how do you dump fuel in the P-51? I don;t want to fool with learning the mission editor right now, I just want to dump some fuel until I have about 20% in my fuselage tank and fight.

As to fighting the AI, perhaps it is because I specialize in fighting online, and have fought so many great fighters in IL2 1946, IL2 BOS, and ROF, but I find the enemy dogfighting skills to be .... mehh. Perhaps I am missing some setting or something, but so far the fights are not hard at all.
You cannot "dump" fuel, you can only refuel on the ground and set the fuel level you wish to use to whatever it is, basically as saburo explained. So it is not practical from within a running mission.

You don't need to learn very much Mission Editor to setup a simple dog-fight mission, but even easier than that, there already is a simple P-51 vs FW-190 mission in your installation.

From the main UI front page, open Instant Action -> P-51D -> P-51D vs FW-190D9 Dogfight. Read the mission briefing and start the mission.

As soon as you star the mission by clicking [Fly], press <Pause> to pause DCS, and then <F10> to look at the map to get an over view of the situation.

When you are ready, press <F1> to return to the cockpit, and <Pause> to un-pause DCS, and off you go

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote