Vulkan API - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #181
Reflected

As a VR user desperately needing FPS, I just read through this thread. I'm really dumb when it comes to IT stuff. So as far as I understand, a new APi is coming that will make DCS much, much less GPU needy. I mean the API is out, it's DCS that will start using it. That's great.

But tell me something: everyone keeps saying DCS doesn't use multicore CPUs well, so those always end up being a bottleneck. (I have a Ryzen 1600x). Will Vulkan make DCS easier on the CPU too? What exactly will get better once it's implemented?

PS: Will I have to download/ install this Vulkan thing? (sorry)

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #182
Knock-Knock

The way I understand it is, that Direct X is heavy on draw calls to the cpu. So basically, before the GPU renders anything, it needs an OK from the cpu. So its constantly waiting on the cpu to give it a go ahead to render all that a frame consists of. So when the cpu is stressed, the GPU will end up waiting on the ok to proceed, and thats when we see low GPU usage.

Vulkan remedies this, by GPU not having to ask the cpu for permission all the time, so the GPU is more independent and can just run with the ball. It still needs some synchronization though.

If it'll be all that we hope it will be and free up vast computation resources, well, guess we just have to wait and see.

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #183
sobek
Veteran

I wouldn't expect too much from it, just to be safe. It really depends on how much they are able to refactor the software architecture. A lot of stuff in DCS still runs in one thread.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #184
blkspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
I wouldn't expect too much from it, just to be safe. It really depends on how much they are able to refactor the software architecture. A lot of stuff in DCS still runs in one thread.
That's kind of a huge point for Vulkan, in that render phase doesn't have to be trapped behind the single threaded parts.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #185
ruskybeaver

Forget it. They just moved to the new engine in 2.5, and most likely will stay on it for a long while.

Universal Radar for DCS ver 3.0
ruskybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #186
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskybeaver View Post
Forget it. They just moved to the new engine in 2.5, and most likely will stay on it for a long while.

It'll be a while, but Wags already stated that the framework has been created. The work of moving shaders over it hasn't started, but certainly not "forget it...."
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #187
lazduc

Please don't encourage ED to try and make changes to the graphic engine. Edge t-5 t-6
t-8 or what they are currently up to and the lighting etc. Now vulkan? May I remind you of how long these changes take. Then every aircraft has to be updated and the maps and then a boot full of bugs and fixes and changes and the list goes on.

How do they keep up with the constant changes?

I would like to see all parties catch up their models to the current (whatever that is) version number and have all of the products I have purchased become released, with all the promised features and fixes.

Awaayyaaa think that will ever happen lol. How many modules that have been coded in the last, hmmmmm 10 years have been finished? Seems like the current software development status is put out a offer of Pre-alpha and lots of hype followed by a broken alpha version and then 2-3 year waiting period as several excuses and more hype about how great the next version will be and all the mind-bending features that will be added.

Then another year or so and the alpha version with a huge announcement will be presented but only as a (whats the next version after alpha called, can't seem to keep up with all the jargon they call all the versions.) Pre-early access? and the beat goes on. LOL

I have heard all the explanations. By the way I do not see the F-14 listed in the E shop. With all the ho ray about this I would think I would have seen,heard or mind melded about this. But nada.

Anyway have a great Halloween or what ever your flavor is.

Laz..grouchy as ever.
lazduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #188
unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazduc View Post
Please don't encourage ED to try and make changes to the graphic engine. Edge t-5 t-6
t-8 or what they are currently up to and the lighting etc. Now vulkan? May I remind you of how long these changes take. Then every aircraft has to be updated and the maps and then a boot full of bugs and fixes and changes and the list goes on.
They updated the tech-level with the update to DCS 2.5. So to say they switched from a bicycle to a car. The change to vulkan is "just" choosing which car you want to use for getting from A to B. The tricky part is the knowledge/skill of ED if DCS will profit from vulkan or to stay by the cars, if you use a family car(like now) or a sports car. We will see in the future.

Quote:
I have heard all the explanations. By the way I do not see the F-14 listed in the E shop. With all the ho ray about this I would think I would have seen,heard or mind melded about this. But nada.

Laz..grouchy as ever.
It's there since the reveal stream: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...odules/tomcat/

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 1800X, 32gb RAM, Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti XE

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #189
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
That's kind of a huge point for Vulkan, in that render phase doesn't have to be trapped behind the single threaded parts.

It doesn't have to be, but it can be. It hinges on how the rest of the application is designed.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #190
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazduc View Post
--snippage--

How do they keep up with the constant changes?

I would like to see all parties catch up their models to the current (whatever that is) version number and have all of the products I have purchased become released, with all the promised features and fixes.

Awaayyaaa think that will ever happen lol. How many modules that have been coded in the last, hmmmmm 10 years have been finished? Seems like the current software development status is put out a offer of Pre-alpha and lots of hype followed by a broken alpha version and then 2-3 year waiting period as several excuses and more hype about how great the next version will be and all the mind-bending features that will be added.

Then another year or so and the alpha version with a huge announcement will be presented but only as a (whats the next version after alpha called, can't seem to keep up with all the jargon they call all the versions.) Pre-early access? and the beat goes on. LOL

Laz..grouchy as ever.

If people followed your mantra, we'd still be playing in VGA. So I want progress and adoption of better technology. Things will break, and bugs will be present.

But I don't want ED to *STOP* early releases as the feedback to the devs can be an incredible gold mind. And people who don't mind the "not yet complete" aircraft can still be enjoyed.

Finally, the *ONLY* operating system that NEVER had a dot release was MS-DOS 5. So living with bugs, in a very complicated platform, is a way of life. But it's not like they go out of their way to break stuff (except the latest key bindings ) so I'm good with progress.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote