Noob! Help!

Goose12

Hello All,

Found DCS World just recently and I am super excited to get to learn this game. I have some basic flight sim experience but nothing to extensive. Had a few questions to get me started.

1. I purchased a TM T16000 and matching HOTAS controller. Totally lost on how to map it. Does downloadable mapping exist?

2. Went ahead and purchased FC3 but doesn't look like there is much in the way of specific training for each plane. Does a virtual flight trainer exist? Happy to pay for peoples time to get up to speed quickly. Not really the type that sits around and watches videos. I find in the moment instruction much more helpful.

3. Is there a way to play online for newbies like me? Not sure how to get that started.

4. Any recommendations on a HiFi model to start with? I am most interested in dogfighting first and air to ground at a later date.

Thanks for any help! Looks like a great community!

It takes time to learn DCS bcoz its not an arcade type game its a simulator very close to reality.

Best way to learn is either by hit and trial or If you totally fail to understand certain thing, then youtube has lots of tutorials. Thats what I do.

Do not buy a hifi model as yet. Best bet is to get F15C and learn the A2A basics. For ground attack SU-25T is one of the best aircrafts with laser and TV guided weapons.

Welcome, Goose!

1. Some aircraft may be preconfigured for your T16k. For download you can look here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

change "file type" to "device profiles", choose "unit" and click "filter"

I would advise you to make a profile for yourself. Just add what you need most during the training flights or mission on the go. Check to avoid crossbindings for main axis like pitch, roll, rudder and throttle.

2. Do the training for both Su-27 and Su-25T. It will get you started. Then look for some squad here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=665

Maybe DCS Academy? But there is really no way around some reading. I mean there are some basics in the manual and tutorials. Nobody will tell you every detail and neither you should expect that from anyone.

3. Just click Multiplayer button, choose server, choose aircraft and start the journey. The better trained you were on SP the better you will perform in MP, but don't wait for too long to join as you can't beat the MP experience.

4. Just choose aircraft you like the most and it'll keep you interested. Ask yourself if you're more into WWII, Early Cold War, Later CW or pure modern stuff. You want mostly A2A or A2G, maybe multi-role?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I personally found the Grim Reapers' video tutorial on mapping the F15 to be very helpful, same principles apply to every jet. Map everything in game, has to be repeated for each jet, gets easier after the first.

I'd suggest learning how to fly first, then learn how to blow stuff up. Saves you from having to un-learn bad habits later.

MB-339 is a free mod and that's a great trainer, among other things you can get someone to hop in the back seat with you for coaching. A4 is another free mod with more stuff, and ability to practice carrier ops, see how you like that.

The C-101 is a high fidelity trainer, frickin excellent mod, can't say enough about it. Outstanding instrument trainer. In game tutorials are really good.

Really want to nail things down, get the C101, do the in game tutorials, practice your takeoffs and landings, have some fun flying around. Learn some aerobatic maneuvers, do some manual bombing runs. Then start thinking about a modern combat aircraft now that you have some transferable skills

Attached an orientation file I used to use for the Academy, perhaps some useful stuff in there for ya

FirstFlight.pdf

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hello All,

Found DCS World just recently and I am super excited to get to learn this game. I have some basic flight sim experience but nothing to extensive. Had a few questions to get me started.

1. I purchased a TM T16000 and matching HOTAS controller. Totally lost on how to map it. Does downloadable mapping exist?

While flying you can press Esc and selecte 'ADJUST CONTROLS' to assign your HOTAS buttons/switches. This way you can get back into the game and test them out and tweak them as you fly.

2. Went ahead and purchased FC3 but doesn't look like there is much in the way of specific training for each plane. Does a virtual flight trainer exist? Happy to pay for peoples time to get up to speed quickly. Not really the type that sits around and watches videos. I find in the moment instruction much more helpful.

I would suggest that you join the DCS Facebook page and if you ask for someone to help you learn an aircraft, usually someone will happily do it for free.

3. Is there a way to play online for newbies like me? Not sure how to get that started.

You click on MULTIPLAYER on the main menu and pick a server. But obviously I would practice a lot first offline. And maybe even ask on that FB page to have someone to practice with? They can setup their own server to host a mission...

Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I personally found the Grim Reapers' video tutorial on mapping the F15 to be very helpful, same principles apply to every jet. Map everything in game, has to be repeated for each jet, gets easier after the first.

I'd suggest learning how to fly first, then learn how to blow stuff up. Saves you from having to un-learn bad habits later.

MB-339 is a free mod and that's a great trainer, among other things you can get someone to hop in the back seat with you for coaching. A4 is another free mod with more stuff, and ability to practice carrier ops, see how you like that.

The C-101 is a high fidelity trainer, frickin excellent mod, can't say enough about it. Outstanding instrument trainer. In game tutorials are really good.

Really want to nail things down, get the C101, do the in game tutorials, practice your takeoffs and landings, have some fun flying around. Learn some aerobatic maneuvers, do some manual bombing runs. Then start thinking about a modern combat aircraft now that you have some transferable skills

Attached an orientation file I used to use for the Academy, perhaps some useful stuff in there for ya

This is great. Thanks!

Welcome, Goose!

1. Some aircraft may be preconfigured for your T16k. For download you can look here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

change "file type" to "device profiles", choose "unit" and click "filter"

I would advise you to make a profile for yourself. Just add what you need most during the training flights or mission on the go. Check to avoid crossbindings for main axis like pitch, roll, rudder and throttle.

2. Do the training for both Su-27 and Su-25T. It will get you started. Then look for some squad here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=665

Maybe DCS Academy? But there is really no way around some reading. I mean there are some basics in the manual and tutorials. Nobody will tell you every detail and neither you should expect that from anyone.

3. Just click Multiplayer button, choose server, choose aircraft and start the journey. The better trained you were on SP the better you will perform in MP, but don't wait for too long to join as you can't beat the MP experience.

4. Just choose aircraft you like the most and it'll keep you interested. Ask yourself if you're more into WWII, Early Cold War, Later CW or pure modern stuff. You want mostly A2A or A2G, maybe multi-role?

Will do. Appreciate it!

Welcome, Goose!

Started the Su-25T training module. The landing modules have massive instructional errors. Tried a couple lessons after that and the instructions are completely wrong. IE instructions don't match commands within the aircraft.

I figured it out though.

Edited by Goose12

Sorry to hear that. I find a skill of flying other airframes highly transferable which makes you better pilot in the end. Stick to the aircraft of your choice then. If in doubt ask here or in the specific aircraft subforum.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria