"Predicted" target distance?? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

You do exact same thing in the Eagle. You move the TDC to the predicted range, then move the elevation to the right altitude at that range. You don't care what angle is that or search manually guessing.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Poopskadoop

I dunno, I still feel the Su-27 and MiG-29 radar systems are more intuitive than the F-15 or F-18, which I have recently put many hours into. First time I looked at the F-18 radar screen, I was like "wtf is this jumbled mess?" I understand it now, but I still have a preference for the Soviet fighters.

I don't know what you mean by predicted target distance. You simply change the scale of your detection zone, just like on the F-18, from 20 to 40 to 80 or whatever it is. Elevation is controlled by notching up + or - 1000 meters, but this isn't usually necessary unless the target is way, way above or below you. Then you have the option to slew the radar left or right to find targets off your heading. I suppose the F-18 does this automatically. Still, I've always loved the HUD radar scope. Modernized flanker when, ED? I want my multiple target engagement with TWS and R-77s! I wonder if they retained the HUD scope on newer flankers.
Poopskadoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
Frostie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopskadoop View Post

I don't know what you mean by predicted target distance. You simply change the scale of your detection zone, just like on the F-18, from 20 to 40 to 80 or whatever it is. Elevation is controlled by notching up + or - 1000 meters, but this isn't usually necessary unless the target is way, way above or below you. Then you have the option to slew the radar left or right to find targets off your heading. I suppose the F-18 does this automatically. Still, I've always loved the HUD radar scope. Modernized flanker when, ED? I want my multiple target engagement with TWS and R-77s! I wonder if they retained the HUD scope on newer flankers.
Predicted target distance is used in combination with elevation. It is 10 by default at the bottom of the hud. It can have a dramatic effect on the angle of elevation.
When at 10 with +1 elevation your radar centralises +1000m at 10km range. If you set predicted at 40km with +1 elevation it would centralise +1000m at 40km range which would be a shallower elevation. Its use is for GCI calls to focus the radar on where the target is expected, eg. Bandit range 40km @12000m when you're at 3000m would be predicted set to 40km with +9 elevation.
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
LordOrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopskadoop View Post
I dunno, I still feel the Su-27 and MiG-29 radar systems are more intuitive than the F-15 or F-18,

Well, in may cases, like this one, 'intuitive' and 'counterintuitive' are subjective: I've grown up as a virtual pilot flying western planes for 30 years (F-15,m F-16, F-18 mainly) and hence I'm more experienced in western radar elevation handling.

Now, after 3+ months and 30+ hours of flight with Su-27 and Su-33 since I've opened this thread I can handle the eastern system without problems but it took a little while to get into its philosophy.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
Fri13
Veteran

I like the Su-27 style where I don't need to care nothing about the degrees or angles. I can fully concentrate to the altitude (from the ground to the sky) and range.

The soviet philosophy was to lower the workload the pilot needs to do under heavy stress and quick moments. That lowers the training requirements as you don't need to spend so much time to learn the complex processes.

Many of the soviet aircrafts functions are based to flying the aircraft itself, instead playing around the systems to do things. So like using the RWR you are combining it with the flying aircraft direction, roll angle and even map on your kneeboard. So you can quickly and effectively place on the map the threats your RWR is giving. You fly and you automatically by flying create the geometrical mapping to pinpoint targets etc.

There are always some functions that are fancy useful, like western radars targeting gates having the altitude range the selected bars is scanning at the gate distance location.
So it is easy to see that at given range the vertical volume radar scans is between -12 and 32. So -12 000 and 32 000 feets. That is fairly nice to know that is your scanning volume.

With Su-27S I have zero knowledge that what is my scanning volume. I don't even have idea about the degrees of one bar etc. But then again, do I need to know?

If I am flying solo in Su-27S without any other help, it is little frustrating. But once I have EW radar somewhere rear or a wingman flying 10 km behind me, the datalink provides so important situational awareness that the overall picture of combat and target finding becomes breeze. It is no thinking at all to organize the attacks.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #16
=4c=Nikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
You do exact same thing in the Eagle. You move the TDC to the predicted range, then move the elevation to the right altitude at that range. You don't care what angle is that or search manually guessing.
The difference is that western TDC doesn't change elevation angle of antenna while russian "expected distance parameter" does. That's because elevation in russian aircraft is delta while in western is absolute.