DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

Is there a way to override the AoA limiter?

Not that I am aware and not sure how that can help with overpeed. Are you staying below 800 knots CAS below 32k feet?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on, I am full off it. I just tried in NTTR and it did not work. I guess we need to wait for the systems to advance. The main thing do not press TMS aft, since the pod will center to the HUD and move the waypoint with it. I guess you can try that and then re-enter the waypoint original lat/long but I did not try that.

The TMS aft (boresight) mode is actually quite usable if you want to pick up a visually aquired target with your TPOD. Otherwise it's a huge hussle.

But yes, sadly you can only use assigned steerpoints at the moment and not all slots available, while also at the same time having an excuse for a tpod, which means that you should have the coordinates of the original waypoint stored somewhere else (in written form).

Guess it's back to dumb bombs for now then ;)

I assume that irl, waypoints don't move when you slew the tpod anyway :P

Irl you would have "fixed" steerpoints, and slew corrections to them. Meaning, you set steerpoint 4 to your target farp or something. and then you can control the tpod to for example 100m south, 400m east.

The system will still have original steerpoint 4 saved, but it will have the offset as an additional information. So if you switch to Steerpoint 5, it will be dead on the money, and if you change back to 4, it will give you that + your last offset.

To "reset" that offset if you will, you press the CZ button zo "zero" the cursor.

Combined with the easy marking system in the F-16 where you can fill additional steerpoint slots with targets either overflow, looked at by TGP, pointed by TDC on FCR, etc. gives you the option to take one steerpoint as an anchor, look around and quickly "mark" and thus save individual targets to your computer.

These targets can then be shared via IDM with your wingmen, or they can be used to unleash JDAMs / SDBs on a multitude of targets at once.

tl;dr: One everything is running, it will be glorious!

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Nope. It's there for a reason, because of the aircrafts divergent nature in pitch, above the AoA limit the aircraft departs from controlled flight and rather enjoys flying backwards.

That sounds exciting. Has anyone been able to replicate this in DCS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That sounds exciting. Has anyone been able to replicate this in DCS?

Yes. I have several times. It’s easier with a heavily loaded jet/asymmetrically loaded jet. What usually works is getting up to high altitude. Pitch up to 50ish degrees and start rolling in whatever direction you like. After a couple of rolls add and hold full into roll rudder and full up elevator and you should be able to defeat the AoA limited and depart from controlled flight. Make sure you’re in Cat-1 as Cat-3 is designed to help protect against that kind of departure in the first place. I think the jet is a little too departure resistant so far but sure, you can get it into a falling leaf or flat spin that requires MPO to recover.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes. I have several times. It’s easier with a heavily loaded jet/asymmetrically loaded jet. What usually works is getting up to high altitude. Pitch up to 50ish degrees and start rolling in whatever direction you like. After a couple of rolls add and hold full into roll rudder and full up elevator and you should be able to defeat the AoA limited and depart from controlled flight. Make sure you’re in Cat-1 as Cat-3 is designed to help protect against that kind of departure in the first place. I think the jet is a little too departure resistant so far but sure, you can get it into a falling leaf or flat spin that requires MPO to recover.

Neat! Thanks, off to go virtually kill myself! :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

anyone know how to use tcts smoke pod?

TCTS= Tactical Combat Training System

it's not a smoke pod. it's a telemetry pod. In DCS the simulator saves the telemetry as a .trk file, so no pod is necessary. In DCS it's a dummy pod, used to recreate training loadouts and add to the training atmosphere.

I do not know if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong during startup, but after takeoff, my hud looks like this. Its only started to happen after the update leading me to believe its something new that they added and I'm starting up incorrectly or that its a bug. It has Happened to me multiple times.

image0.jpg

Edited by magmasta

[HVY]Mag

https://www.jointtaskforceheavy.org/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TCTS= Tactical Combat Training System

it's not a smoke pod. it's a telemetry pod. In DCS the simulator saves the telemetry as a .trk file, so no pod is necessary. In DCS it's a dummy pod, used to recreate training loadouts and add to the training atmosphere.

oh :( Thanks, so there is no smoke pod for f16..?

I do not know if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong during startup, but after takeoff, my hud looks like this. Its only started to happen after the update leading me to believe its something new that they added and I'm starting up incorrectly or that its a bug. It has Happened to me multiple times.

image0.jpg

I turned off wind in this mission.

Could you post a track? What versions are you using?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

magmasta,

The smoke from the chimneys in your screenshot are nearly horizontal to left. This indicates a very strong wind originating from the right. I doubt the wind is disabled in that mission, you should check it again.

But if there's a right crosswind, your TVV should be to the left of the aircraft nose (aircraft drifting left with the wind). Yet it shows a very strong drift to the right, into the wind!

My suspicion is an improperly aligned INS.

magmasta,

The smoke from the chimneys in your screenshot are nearly horizontal to left. This indicates a very strong wind originating from the right. I doubt the wind is disabled in that mission, you should check it again.

But if there's a right crosswind, your TVV should be to the left of the aircraft nose (aircraft drifting left with the wind). Yet it shows a very strong drift to the right, into the wind!

My suspicion is an improperly aligned INS.

Before I updated to 2.5.6 My hud was perfectly fine while doing this exact same mission. After the update, it has been like this. I believe it is possible something new the ED added to the INS I have to adapt to or it’s some kind of bug. Multiple of my friends have had the same problem in different aircraft.

[HVY]Mag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is possible the mission was corrupted, did you re-save the mission on the new versions? Open Beta version 2.5.6.43503. If you re-save the mission and still have problems, can you duplicate the problems on a new mission created on new version of the open beta? If you supply a track, I lot of the guessing work would be gone and it will be far easier to troubleshoot

To whom it may concern,

It is possible the mission was corrupted, did you re-save the mission on the new versions? Open Beta version 2.5.6.43503. If you re-save the mission and still have problems, can you duplicate the problems on a new mission created on new version of the open beta? If you supply a track, I lot of the guessing work would be gone and it will be far easier to troubleshoot

Yes I did. I added some new aircraft as options to fly. This hud thing happens in multiple servers and missions for me though. Should I report it to ED? Not at my computer right now so don’t have a track for you now but expect one soon.

[HVY]Mag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I did. I added some new aircraft as options to fly. This hud thing happens in multiple servers and missions for me though. Should I report it to ED? Not at my computer right now so don’t have a track for you now but expect one soon.

Delete the fxo and metashaders2 folders from the DCS saved games folder if you haven't already.

Remove mods, do a DCS repair and then try again.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Nope. It's there for a reason, because of the aircrafts divergent nature in pitch, above the AoA limit the aircraft departs from controlled flight and rather enjoys flying backwards.

Manual pitch override is for getting the aircraft out of the deep stall/falling leaf/flat spin that usually follows once you somehow overcome the AoA limiter. You have to hold the MPO switch on and then rock the nose up and down like a swing in order to get it back under the AoA limit and get it flying again.

I heard about this before.. but surely being able to attempt something than flying straight into the ground would be better, even if it results in an upside down flatspin?

Not that I am aware and not sure how that can help with overpeed. Are you staying below 800 knots CAS below 32k feet?

Aren't there any circuit breakers like in the others to kill the FBW?

Typically problematic when you start split S-ing close to 10-15kft depending on terrain, once it gets past 600 to 650 you're almost doomed. The fact that the thing won't lose airspeed at that point doesn't help either, those airbrakes are about as goddamn useful as the brakes on the wheel. I've had as much as 20-30 degree dive angles kill me, although that particular case was just once. Otherwise I guess I got a lot more used to it, haven't crashed it in a while.

Definitely cannot fly it like any of the other jets.. Eagle and Cat have a pretty easy time pulling out of anything, Hornet is doable but this.. once you overspeed it it's a flying coffin.

I heard about this before.. but surely being able to attempt something than flying straight into the ground would be better' date=' even if it results in an upside down flatspin? [/quote']

Well If you're going as fast as you say then you're not AoA restricted (25 degrees) but you're G limited, at which case if you removed the G-limiter you'd probably either GLOC or pull the wings off, neither are great results.

Aren't there any circuit breakers like in the others to kill the FBW?

The aircraft only flies using FBW... It's not like the Hornet where it has a manual reversion. If you "kill" the FBW you'd have no control of the aircraft.

Typically problematic when you start split S-ing close to 10-15kft depending on terrain, once it gets past 600 to 650 you're almost doomed. The fact that the thing won't lose airspeed at that point doesn't help either, those airbrakes are about as goddamn useful as the brakes on the wheel. I've had as much as 20-30 degree dive angles kill me, although that particular case was just once. Otherwise I guess I got a lot more used to it, haven't crashed it in a while.

Definitely cannot fly it like any of the other jets.. Eagle and Cat have a pretty easy time pulling out of anything, Hornet is doable but this.. once you overspeed it it's a flying coffin.

I think we might be flying different aircraft. With the airbrakes out, and the throttle at idle, and loaded up to 9G, my F-16 bleeds energy FAAAAAST.

I don't really get what you mean by "overspeed" the jet, with the FCS in the Viper you are either in one of two states most of the time, you're either G-limited when you're going quick or AoA limited when you are going slow. If you're having issues hitting the ground while going 650 knots when you have 9G available to pull out then I don't really know what to tell you...

Proud owner of:

Well If you're going as fast as you say then you're not AoA restricted (25 degrees) but you're G limited, at which case if you removed the G-limiter you'd probably either GLOC or pull the wings off, neither are great results.

The aircraft only flies using FBW... It's not like the Hornet where it has a manual reversion. If you "kill" the FBW you'd have no control of the aircraft.

I think we might be flying different aircraft. With the airbrakes out, and the throttle at idle, and loaded up to 9G, my F-16 bleeds energy FAAAAAST.

I don't really get what you mean by "overspeed" the jet, with the FCS in the Viper you are either in one of two states most of the time, you're either G-limited when you're going quick or AoA limited when you are going slow. If you're having issues hitting the ground while going 650 knots when you have 9G available to pull out then I don't really know what to tell you...

You must have not flown the Eagle very often then :)

Most of the current BVR revolves around supersonic 6-8 mile flying beating the NEZ numbers with speed and high alpha maneuvers. After the initial exchange you're almost never above 15k ft because that alone would get you killed. Afterwards you're either stuck doing this again but from lower altitudes or notch / terrain mask which creates an armada of additional SA problems.

In an Eagle in these scenarios pretty much you'd be gate all the time to get as much energy as possible and you can usually still do whatever you want since there is no restrictions on either AoA or G (the latter being a bit foolish, but regardless the jet is capable of handling 14G).

In the early weeks I had a lot of issues barely scraping the ground while idle and brakes out but I got more used it now, especially in high dive angle vertical maneuvers you really need to be idle and very often airbrakes out and your split S exit altitudes are definitely a lot more conservative than the other jets.

I was simply trying to find if there is a way to override anything in an "oh shit" scenario but if there isn't, just gotta watch out for it then. I'll add it the list of things I dislike about the jet :P

Trying the refuelling mission, was able to use the ICP to turn on Tacan to the Tanker (1 X-ray) and I ask for refuel and tanker says 24000 at 270 (which places me 3km to the left of him).

So I go ready pre-contact and he goes "Return pre-contact"... I'm EXACTLY where he tells me to be, so I go ready pre-contact, same answer.

I restart mission and try again, same thing, he nags on about returning to pre-contact WAY off where he actually is.

So I google it and people say get right up his tailpipe, slightly behind, before sending any requests, I try that, same thing, nags on about return pre-contact.

So I restart and go right up his tailpipe slightly below and then start the entire procedure from there, STILL getting told to return pre-contact... I MASH the buttons in complete fury, ready pre contact ready pre contact JUST WORK, but he goes on about return pre-contact.

Ok so what the ..? :D

Been a long time since I got this angry at this sim (Back when I still was sado enough to fly F-86).

Edited by RedVonHammer

Finally got it working.

Now the problem is actually refuelling, worst is throttle, I cant find neutral throttle, the response on it is all over the place, tried changing it so curve is flatter near where I THINK neutral throttle is = No go, refuelling constantly aborted, just 1 knot difference and its instant abort, no way to have the tanker tell me his speed either so I'm left guessing, by the time I have the speed right and look at hud to check = altitude is wrong meaning speed is off, adjust altitude = speed is more off.

Edited by RedVonHammer