Another Absolute Noob

FudBucker

Hi Guys

New to DCS / Flight Sims / Windows / VR

So I decided to take the plunge into all 4 simultaneously. Added to that, the rig I'm putting together is designed to be partially portable ( Ill leave the chair and the A10 HOTAS at home when I travel and find a suitable, portable alternative )

Have bought an HP Reverb, Alienware Area 51 with i9 9900K and RTX 2080, and a couple of aircraft from DCS whilst the sale was on. Thus far I've avoided Steam.

I fly in my day job so I'm hoping that in all the frustrations I'm setting myself up for, the actual flying side should be the least taxing... but you never know.

I hope to plan reasonably regular updates here as to how it's going so others may follow.

Sadly, im away from home while all the bits get delivered!

Thanks in advance for any encouragement, trolling or comments :lol:

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster 6000 for portability when travelling

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

1TB SSD RAID 0 + 1TB Hybrid

F-18 / AV8-B / A10 / F-14 / F-15 / F-16 / P-51 / Spitfire

Welcome and good luck! I think the thing you'll miss the most is the seat-of-the-pants feel but there are some solutions like buttkicker or jetseat.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Welcome to DCS! Sounds like your home rig will be perfect for running DCS in VR or on a flat screen.

In terms of learning DCS aircraft, expect the process to be fairly similar to learning an actual new aircraft in terms of time taken, reading manuals etc. just without the hours required for certification :)

This forum is one of the best game forums on the net in terms of signal to noise ration so don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how basic. We've all been there staring at a screen, manual open on our lap, wondering where the hell the start switch is :smilewink:

Happy flying :pilotfly:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

You're gonna have a blast. Nice rig. Given your r/l experience I have a couple of recommendations for you

1. C101 is a great module, a steal when it's on sale. Great for practicing aerobatics, BFM and manual bombing (2 modules in one, a trainer and attack a/c).

2. F5e. Much the same applies for a faster, slicker jet that rewards attention to aviation

3. F14. In the hands of a skilled aviator it is truly the dominant a/a platform in the game. Key is understanding what the jet is trying to tell you, and why. Interesting study in aerodynamics to say the least.

Heard the other day (on the Fighter Pilot Podcast, which you should DEFINITELY check out) that the F22 POH literally at one point said "you can fly this plane with reckless abandon.". That's pretty much true for the F18 and F16 in dcs. You don't have to have that way, though. There are some great modules from an earlier day that can really test an aviator's skills.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks all for the encouragement. This forum is pretty high end in terms of the advice and encouragement given. Still waiting for the Area 51 to arrive but I’ve been notified it’s left China, so fingers crossed, it arrives soon as I have some time off approaching...

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

Welcome Fudbucker!

Check this for some things:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4166633&postcount=28

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Welcome Fudbucker looks like your going to have a heap of fun with that set up.Your set up is very close to mine. I'm thinking of going VR as well. I have track ir at the moment and can't imagine flying without it but i hear great things about VR .What modules did you buy on sale?anyway good luck and keep us posted on how you go.:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Welcome Fudbucker looks like your going to have a heap of fun with that set up.Your set up is very close to mine. I'm thinking of going VR as well. I have track ir at the moment and can't imagine flying without it but i hear great things about VR .What modules did you buy on sale?anyway good luck and keep us posted on how you go.:pilotfly:

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the AV8-B / F-18 / A10 / F-18 as they were in the sale. I think i got the Gulf scenery as well. But the Alienware hasn't been delivered yet and so the fun of learning windows again has yet to begin!!!

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

Welcome Fudbucker!

Check this for some things:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4166633&postcount=28

<S>

Thanks.

I'll take a look. Alienware has been held up... or knicked in transit! Who knows :ranting:

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I bought the AV8-B / F-18 / A10 / F-18 as they were in the sale. I think i got the Gulf scenery as well. But the Alienware hasn't been delivered yet and so the fun of learning windows again has yet to begin!!!

Always good to have a spare F/A-18 when ones in the shop after a bad landing :)

Always good to have a spare F/A-18 when ones in the shop after a bad landing :)

:megalol::megalol::megalol:

There no damn hope if I can't even get the signature correct :lol::lol::lol:

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

VR or TrackIR are must haves...welcome to DCS

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Thanks

Kind of screwed at the moment as the Area 51 I ordered, has done an Area 51, gone into stealth mode and has disappeared. So I’m currently the proud owner of a load of peripherals I can’t do anything with... pending Dell’s investigation into the skunkworks like metamorphosis of my “desktop replacement”

Even the dog has figured out that sitting at a table with a Warthog HOTAS shooting down pretend enemies is boring AF and has gone back to licking his balls!!!

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

I have a question for the good people of this forum regarding windows... the operating system, not the thing that separates you and the howling wind and rain!

When my Area 51 eventually arrives, I plan, in the first instance, to install any windows updates that are due.

Based on the equipment list below that I have, what additional software in what order, should I load? I’m planning on using mainly DCS as the sim os, but do I need additional software for VR? Do I need steam? I plan to use DCS directly rather than via steam.

Should I put DCS on the same drive as the OS?

Thanks in advance.

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

If the PC comes with Windows installed, it should be already prepared with all the drivers needed for your chosen hardware. If you choose standalone DCS version there is no need to touch Steam software. I advise you to have both Windows and DCS on the fastest drives available. That would be the SSD if you have one. If it's RAID that would mean you have two. RAID use is questionable here. Best imho would be to use 1st SSD for the system and 2nd for DCS. Use hybrid only for storage for big data like videos and pictures whatever you have. I don't know what is needed for VR though.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

but do I need additional software for VR? Do I need steam? I plan to use DCS directly rather than via steam.

Since you have a Reverb Pro best is to check the VR section of the Input Output subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Lot's of things to read up there while waiting for the Area-51 to arrive.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Time for an update...

The 1st Area 51 went AWOL in transit and Dell ordered me another one and it was delivered on 4th February. Little old me was very happy as I was departing the UK on 5th and thought id be a smart arse and claim back the VAT as I'm non-dom in the UK. But you need to buy from a retailer that can issue correct paperwork... and ordering from an online entity won't cut it with HMRC... so that kick in the Gonads wiped the smile from my dial.

During ED's Christmas sale, I purchased a few aircraft so I downloaded them all on day one.

My plan is to be as portable as possible as i basically live in hotels. I have bought the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. Well those things weigh more than a Cathedral and i don't have the ability to carry an old leather trunk, so i carry the Area 51 and the Reverb in a wheelie bag with foam protection...

When i figure out how to store it with a URL, ill send a photo...

Anyway, thanks to other members who have posted here, i knew that i had to download, DCS / Windows Mixed Reality Portal / Steam VR in order to get this working. I also downloaded NVidia's GeForce Experience. Then i put the HMD on my head... and nothing!!! Its been frustrating but i have battled through and got it all working... kind of...

The one thing i have learned is that you need to start up the HMD in VR so the mouse pointer works... So again, thanks to this forum for the answers to that.

Its been frustrating, but we're getting there as they say.

One thing im really glad i did... I wear glasses usually, but i VROptician dot com and got myself prescription inserts. They work great and dont steam up as much as my glasses do when i dont have them installed.

More to come later.. but now... i gotta fly... not type...

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

Welcome and good luck with the VR, many pilots seem to swear by it once it's running well.

What are your goals/expectations with DCS btw? Just having some fun flying, really learning some particular aircraft, seeing how the military guys do things (I'd think you'd have lots of familiar things ahead of you too, but assumed you do civilian aviation), or maximum immersion?

Historic and trainer aircraft might have a lot to offer for you. The L-39 and C-101 have different strong sides, ED has a great campaign for the L-39 which can really boost your flying skills and is like an extended training course.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

If the PC comes with Windows installed, it should be already prepared with all the drivers needed for your chosen hardware. If you choose standalone DCS version there is no need to touch Steam software. I advise you to have both Windows and DCS on the fastest drives available. That would be the SSD if you have one. If it's RAID that would mean you have two. RAID use is questionable here. Best imho would be to use 1st SSD for the system and 2nd for DCS. Use hybrid only for storage for big data like videos and pictures whatever you have. I don't know what is needed for VR though.

Hi Draconus, thanks for the above. I couldn’t get the VR to work in DCS without the steam VR. I’ve got it working now but as I’m new to VR, I have nothing to compare what I’m looking at... It ain’t 4K for sure but the 3D effect is very impressive.

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM

Welcome and good luck with the VR, many pilots seem to swear by it once it's running well.

What are your goals/expectations with DCS btw? Just having some fun flying, really learning some particular aircraft, seeing how the military guys do things (I'd think you'd have lots of familiar things ahead of you too, but assumed you do civilian aviation), or maximum immersion?

Historic and trainer aircraft might have a lot to offer for you. The L-39 and C-101 have different strong sides, ED has a great campaign for the L-39 which can really boost your flying skills and is like an extended training course.

Hi Varis

My plan is to learn as much about the aircraft and the simulator as possible. I plan to make it as immersive as possible. I’m going to look at combining a jet seat with a butt kicker as well. I like the Hornet and the F-16 and so far I have mainly fiddling with the settings to add realism into the control response. I’ve found in the F-16, that a good way to Leann that is to start with free flight in the Persian Gulf and start a max speed low level run beginning at the Mosque just off the end of Al Bateen Airport and following the Sheikh Zayeed Road all the way to the Creek in Dubai. Well it’s damn good fun anyway.

FudBucker’s Hardware

Reverb Pro

Alienware Area-51 Laptop

i9 9900K

RTX 2080 8GB

64 GB RAM