Modifying Head movement TrackIR

Hi, can someone help me modify my game files so that I can increase head movement to the left. It’s pretty terrible in its current state and I’d like to correct so I can get closer to the window and Increase my situational awareness.

I tried following an old guide of copying a server.lua into a View folder under saved games / DCS etc etc, carries across the view information from the View.lua in the Mi-8 folder and inserted it into the Server.lua copy I made. However no changes appear to affect the view. I have triple checked the code and altering the Z axis which is was informed was left to right movement.

Thanks

If I remember and have the time later on (seldom coincide...) I have a look how I did it. Don't have it in my head right now, but I'm using the "proper neck" MOD (don't remember the full name).

This is actually a bug, the two numbers for lateral limits are shifted in the view.lua.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Indeed that's it!

The last version can be found in post #724, but the original MOD doesn't have the corrected lateral limits for the Mi-8, and they missed out the "ShoulderSize" setting for the Mi-8 and one Huey door gunner.

I attach my corrected version of the Proper Neck MOD. The lateral limits are the 'z' value in "limits_6DOF" on line 259, numbers are switched compared to original, not sign. Place them in [saved games]\DCS[version]\Config\View, and enable snapviews in settings.

If you have the F-16 add the lines from here to the Server.lua.

Server.lua

SnapViews.lua

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks for the replies guys.

Going through your attached server.lua - I note the helicopter is named Mi-8MT - I think that is where my issue lies.

Do you also need to enable snap views in order to make this work?

I am also making the assumption that the "proper neck mod" - is just the server.lua however with corrected values for all aircraft?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Going through your attached server.lua - I note the helicopter is named Mi-8MT - I think that is where my issue lies.

Do you also need to enable snap views in order to make this work?

I am also making the assumption that the "proper neck mod" - is just the server.lua however with corrected values for all aircraft?

Thanks!

The instructions for the proper neck says to enable user snap views, and the snapviews.lua is indeed part of the MOD. I believe the reason for it being that when adjusting the neck, the FOV is somewhat altered, and the snapviews.lua have the FOV values corrected to correspond to the original. I think it is described more in detail in the first post by PeterP, the creator.

But if you don't want the proper neck MOD, I believe you should be able to correct the Mi-8 lateral limits just by copying the original server.lua from the game folder to your saved games, add the Mi-8 values from its view.lua and correct the z value above (yes, naming the aircraft correctly is important). To be honest, I don't know whether you must have user snap views enabled for this to work. Guess you have to try.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

The instructions for the proper neck says to enable user snap views, and the snapviews.lua is indeed part of the MOD. I believe the reason for it being that when adjusting the neck, the FOV is somewhat altered, and the snapviews.lua have the FOV values corrected to correspond to the original. I think it is described more in detail in the first post by PeterP, the creator.

But if you don't want the proper neck MOD, I believe you should be able to correct the Mi-8 lateral limits just by copying the original server.lua from the game folder to your saved games, add the Mi-8 values from its view.lua and correct the z value above (yes, naming the aircraft correctly is important). To be honest, I don't know whether you must have user snap views enabled for this to work. Guess you have to try.

Hey Holton, your server.lua file was absolutely perfect. It was the naming convention that tripped me up as I name it Mi-8MTV not Mi-8MT Hence the issues I was running with.

Absolute champ, I will give snapviews a shot thought so I can try out the mod properly

Hey Holton, your server.lua file was absolutely perfect. It was the naming convention that tripped me up as I name it Mi-8MTV not Mi-8MT Hence the issues I was running with.

Absolute champ, I will give snapviews a shot thought so I can try out the mod properly

I found a small issue with the Server.lua from the proper neck MOD, and hence the file I shared above. Don't know if it matters, but here it goes:

In the Mi-8MT section line 276 (player slot 3, limits_6DOF), the x values are {-4.5,0.4} in the original file, but {-0.2,0.4} in proper neck. The MOD is old so I assume the values changed at some stage after release. Just change the -0.2 to -4.5.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5