Hornet update?

Ragnar65

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I should not use pitch stick with flaps down and gear down? Ridiculous.
Because if you watched any of AEW's videos or Jabbers case 1 carrier and case 1 questions answered video..navy pilots do not use the stick to pitch up and down when in landing configuration..this is probably why you don't see a difference with the flaps fix.

Then follow up

You pitch the nose up and down with throttle and trim button once in landing config AoA and use the stick only for roll left and right.

Same applies for private pilot classes, they always told me trim when getting ready to land.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Regardless of the method the Hornet is supposed to be landed, I think, but not 100% sure, that the real Hornet with gears & flaps down doesn't chase the trimmed AoA that violently (if at all) where with a given trim setting when you power up the plane will pitch up, and when you power down the jet pitches down, but in contrast: when it powers up/down the FCS tries to keep the pitch constant with the velocity vector changing up/down depending on power increase/decrease.

That would make a lot of sense since the pilot wouldn't be fighting the FCS all the time where he fights a pitch up when power is increased and fights a pitch down when power is decreased which I guess leads to PIO.

If a real Hornet pilot sees this I hope they can confirm or refute this.

Edited by SCU
Clarification

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

@sze5003

I'm sorry, that's not true at all.

1. You can watch all carrier landings at YT, there is obviously pitch stick movement.

2. Trim is not supposed to be used to fly aircraft. It's there to trim out stick force.

3. Limitation for gear down and flaps down is 250 kias. Nowhere near backside of drag curve.

I see difference at flaps down fix. It's not change to pa mode though.

And please, don't use power technique in GA aircraft unless instructed by certified instructor.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I'm sorry, that's not true at all.

What isn't exactly?

1. You can't be sure of that, because you can't see if that's due to FCS, outside forces or the pilot actually commanding the move with the stick. But according to nefighter/AEW, there should be a little pitch up when flaps down, but no mention of other forces after the initial flaps deployment.

2. Not denying that.

3. Not denying that.

I'm just saying use trim to trim yourself to AoA once dirty. Not fly the aircraft like that. According to hornet pilots they don't pitch with the stick when landing. You will get a no grade/wave off like that.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The real aircraft has a slight "balloon" as the flaps start to run. A small check forward on the stick is all that is required to hold the VV on the horizon very shortly thereafter as the deceleration starts increasing back pressure (and increasing pitch attitude) is required to hold the VV on the horizon. It is at this time that the "urge" to trim is felt by the pilot. About 3-4 seconds of back trim is all that is required. In later software loads a Trim value is displayed in the HUD as you trim it remains displayed for 2 seconds after you let the trim switch go. (this is post Lot20 aircraft I believe).

Trim_AOA.jpg

As this is happening the E bracket starts on its way down towards the VV. At this point a substantial increase in power is required to "catch" the E bracket on speed.

Down final either method of pitch control works just fine.... just depends what school you went to :) . If the aircraft is trimmed (you are actually setting a reference AOA in the FCS rather than directly trimming the stab btw) only small power and pitch attitude changes are required to change VV positioning. small precise inputs are required. I do believe the Sim response in terms of attitude change to small power change is overdone. The devs have worked really hard in this area and its a whole lot better than pre the last patch.

Edited by IvanK

[...]

If the aircraft is trimmed (you are actually setting a reference AOA in the FCS rather than directly trimming the stab btw) only small power and pitch attitude changes are required to change VV positioning. small precise inputs are required. I do believe the Sim response in terms of attitude change to small power change is overdone. The devs have worked really hard in this area and its a whole lot better than pre the last patch.

Thanks for your input IvanK. I thought as well that it didn't 'seem' realistic, even though I'm not a pilot, that the plane chases the set AoA in such a way, that just made no sense to me that the real jet would do that as well. I completely trust the team are working hard on this and will eventually get it right.

Its a long time since I flew the jet so working on memory :) As long as you don't wildly poll and make gross power changes it all works really well in the Sim ... there is always room for FM tweaking ... hell they still tweak the FCS software in the real aeroplane :) The key is smooth small inputs.

The whole FCS is super complex and the devs have done a stunning job imo.

The real aircraft has a slight "balloon" as the flaps start to run. A small check forward on the stick is all that is required to hold the VV on the horizon very shortly thereafter as the deceleration starts increasing back pressure (and increasing pitch attitude) is required to hold the VV on the horizon. It is at this time that the "urge" to trim is felt by the pilot. About 3-4 seconds of back trim is all that is required. In later software loads a Trim value is displayed in the HUD as you trim it remains displayed for 2 seconds after you let the trim switch go. (this is post Lot20 aircraft I believe).

Trim_AOA.jpg

As this is happening the E bracket starts on its way down towards the VV. At this point a substantial increase in power is required to "catch" the E bracket on speed.

Down final either method of pitch control works just fine.... just depends what school you went to :) . If the aircraft is trimmed (you are actually setting a reference AOA in the FCS rather than directly trimming the stab btw) only small power and pitch attitude changes are required to change VV positioning. small precise inputs are required. I do believe the Sim response in terms of attitude change to small power change is overdone. The devs have worked really hard in this area and its a whole lot better than pre the last patch.

Thanks for the explanation! I agree the patch has improved this quite a bit. I know it can be tough to simulate the whole procedure as the real aircraft does it. I just trim up a few seconds while the flaps are deploying and then add power and I'm eventually squared away with the horizon line.

Probably more to come once everything is in place and I'm sure you guys will get it at some point even if it's small steps at a time, it's better now than it was previously.