Save games needed

freespirit

Sim purists will be outraged but I agree a quick save and load would vastly improve my experience. You have to respect the player's time and there's a million things that could see you need to end a mission early.

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

Sim purists will be outraged but I agree a quick save and load would vastly improve my experience. You have to respect the player's time and there's a million things that could see you need to end a mission early.

^^^ THIS!

the purist's can get over it.... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There is no "multiplayer" or "single player."

Is it clear that from this paradigm that the concept of what is single player and what is multiplayer and that they are somehow different goes out the window? Single player is simply playing a multiplayer architecture where someone else won't (or can't) join. Think of everything that is different between the current single/multi situation and realize that none of those differences makes any sense. I challenge any difference between the two play environments that has a logical reason to be.

I must say you wield convincing arguments. I had not thought of the idea in this light, to be honest. I must rethink my approach.

Well put, sir.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• 1 year later...

Savegame is needed. More needed than any new map or plane.

It should be a major priority, as all campaigns and a lot of missions are useless without.

This game requires a lot of time and a lot of mistakes can happen, forcing the player to redo everything thousands of times and reducing the actual fun to 1% of the gaming time.

It would make it much more approachable to hardcore gamers (currently only hardcore sim fans can play it, casual gamers will never play it anyway).

This would expand the customers base by several times and benefit your income and ability to work on other simulation parts.

This game makes me pause, minimize and keep pc running for 8 hours while doing other stuff, so I can skip repeating and wasting time. This hurts. Truly.

Edited by Bobb
  • Like 1

I think I can agree it's going to take away from motivating people to skill up ... this can actually have quite a big effect on the whole community, even with all the upsides, this downside is very heavy IMO.

A long campaign might have some kind of checkpoints tho ...

• Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I don't really see a problem of who and how would use the save game feature, esp. in SP.

Making mistakes ourselves is one thing but there are a lot of things that can go wrong beyond our control - mission bugs, crashes, hw failures, "life"... Wasted time is the same wasted time for everyone - hardcore or not, the mission is not accomplished and you have to start over. Only 15min lost? 1h? How much can you handle?

So 2019, 2.5.5, still no plan to do a feature... Checkpoints idea imho is a good starting place.

btw: It's cool to read post from previous years and think how DCS progressed - a dream come true!

...would be happy to fly a F-14 and F-18 from a carrier in the Gulf...

From my point of view a single maintainable source, with one update stream, all maps and modules integrated, consistent and on the same feature level is paramount to the progress of DCS World.

Maybe an overhaul of the AI, damage modelling and route finding.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I think a "save game" especially for single player campaigns which have sometimes hours long missions, would be a nice addition. It does not work for Multiplayer, so why not give players with a "normal life" a feature to take care of children when required, save progress and continue a mission the next evening or the next weekend?

And I can share the sentiment, as some bugs and crashes had me go crazy, as well.

I had finished the first lengthy mission of the Argo Campaign (Huey) and when I landed on the Ship DCS crashed! Yep, a bug. Confirme, but not giving me back the near 2 hours lifetime wasted to do the Mission successful... never took the time to retry. Actually it discouraged me from playing Campaigns...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think I can agree it's going to take away from motivating people to skill up ... this can actually have quite a big effect on the whole community...

It didn’t have that effect in the past and I don’t see why it should now. It was a great learning tool because you could start where you were having problems and work on the solutions from there.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I think I can agree it's going to take away from motivating people to skill up ... this can actually have quite a big effect on the whole community, even with all the upsides, this downside is very heavy IMO.

A long campaign might have some kind of checkpoints tho ...

You can always choose to challenge yourself and not save your progress. There are some campaigns where I think an enforced challenge was part of the appeal. Like the Maple Flag qualifications. You can blow your score after a tough mission by forgetting a shutdown checklist item. Then it’s a do over.

But mission designers can decide how to incorporate saves depending on the goal.

A save feature would vastly improve the playability of most campaigns. It’s a must needed feature.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think most of us need a "save" feature because of time restrictions in RL.

If a save feature is not possible then a possibility of a dynamic mission (similar to dynamic campaigns) where there is timeline and players can select specific points in the timeline to jump in and start the mission.

For example in the briefing screen once everything is loaded, to have the option to either start from ramp cold & dark or start from ramp hot, or start in the air close to the ingress point, etc. etc... So basically, each waypoint can have a "start mission" option or something similar.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Plus it could be useful for testing and reporting bugs without having to rely on a long broken track files. Both for us and devs.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Plus it could be useful for testing and reporting bugs without having to rely on a long broken track files. Both for us and devs.
The recorded track does work for the devs when debugging. The playback of tracks is messing up, regularly.

Still a Save game option (and even if it is one Save per mission only that simply enables you to "pause", save the mission when real life needs your attention and pick up from that saved state a week later on the weekend and life and family permits...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think this would be great, it would be particularly good for those of use whom Real Life gets in the way of flying epic campaign missions. If people want to save scum then that is their choice, what does it matter to anyone else? Maybe include a hardcore option which prevents the user from saving?

• 1 year later...

+1

Just coming back to DCS after a ~9 year break. And I've just paid for the Raven One Campaign. Although it is excellent, my next mission is around 150min long. Would be good if I could save my progress and come back. Or hit checkpoints.

Is it technically possible? I have no idea, but other complex games and sims seem to do it. See ARMA3 (all of the ARMAs in fact). You can save progress in SP campaigns in most places.

The ability to save also allows the mission designer to offer more challenging scenarios with the knowledge that the player can re-attack if they die.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For me, this would be a game changer!

As far as I use to fly missions in "real time", i.e. no time acceleration (I remember an article on a site run by BeachAV8R called "dead is dead" 🙃which was very impressing), a saving function (only SP) would help a lot with my very limited amount of spare time.

• Like 1

--- blue plasma ---