Any chance of at least ONE MP Normandy server having full labels?

Mr_sukebe

As per my title really.

This is primarily because I'm a VR user, and find aircraft recognition incredibly difficult.

Right now, MP combat feels to be virtually impossible, as frankly, I've no idea whether an enemy is friend of foe until I'm basically on top of it (typically being shot by it).

At present, we have a host of Normandy MP WW2 servers, all doing pretty much the same job, with most of them empty. Can just ONE of them please be re-tasked with full labels, such that the VR users amongst us can actually try to engage in some combat.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I feel that full labels will take away too much. A better option would be to have the little dot, like what is on the Blue Flag Normandy server, and make that dot colour coded for Allies / Axis planes. Also, giving two teams really bright colours can help, maybe forcing very visible Invasion stripes on the Allied planes.

Having received my Rift yesterday, I do understand the visibility problem now.

I feel that full labels will take away too much. A better option would be to have the little dot, like what is on the Blue Flag Normandy server, and make that dot colour coded for Allies / Axis planes. Also, giving two teams really bright colours can help, maybe forcing very visible Invasion stripes on the Allied planes.

Having received my Rift yesterday, I do understand the visibility problem now.

We have the dots already in say Burning Skies. So I know there's an aircraft there, but I've no idea what it is. Means I have to treat nearly everything as a bad guy until I'm on top of it. That's ok, apart from the fact that I've already shot down one friendly by accident, and by say committing to an attack, puts my aircraft at risk.

From what I've read, real pilots were more than capable of accurately identifying aircraft at reasonable distances, certainly further than I can. So right now, it's not as it should be.

Lastly, I don't want all servers to use them. If just one of the many would do it and include that I its name, I think we'd be good. After all, most servers are virtually empty, surely no one would miss just one?

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

My evening in MP:

Took off, found dot in the sky. Head towards it and it's clearly trying to avoid me. So it's an enemy and appears to know what I am. Climb for advantage, but eventually return to base for fuel.

Take off, return to combat area, spot aircraft trailing smoke below me. It's running west, so an enemy aircraft rtb. I setup a dive to intercept from the rear. Spot 2 dots to my north, 1 chasing another. Looks like a dogfight so I'm probably clear. Dive in, make attack on what turns out to be a mustang. Promptly shot to pieces by the other two aircraft. They weren't in a dogfight, it was a pair working together, something impossible to tell at range in VR.

I'm going back to my Huey until there is a server to redress the imbalance in spotting between VR and non VR users.

From what I've read, real pilots were more than capable of accurately identifying aircraft at reasonable distances, certainly further than I can. So right now, it's not as it should be.

Sadly this is a problem with DCS in general, VR on WW2 servers is just where it's at its worst.

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
As per my title really.

This is primarily because I'm a VR user, and find aircraft recognition incredibly difficult.

Right now, MP combat feels to be virtually impossible, as frankly, I've no idea whether an enemy is friend of foe until I'm basically on top of it (typically being shot by it).

At present, we have a host of Normandy MP WW2 servers, all doing pretty much the same job, with most of them empty. Can just ONE of them please be re-tasked with full labels, such that the VR users amongst us can actually try to engage in some combat.

I am a fan >>> +1

Go read Chuck Yeager's first book with Leo Janos, about Chuck's excellent eye vision.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1BOHD_enUS487US526&q=General+Chuck+Yeager+with+Leo+Janos%2Beyesight&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFi4Hr1vzVAhUE6iYKHZX_CpgQBQglKAA&biw=1536&bih=736

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I truly love DCS, but as to a well manned WWII MP player base and Texas, USA based and low ping for me, I will be going back to Aces High.

As to Multiplayer, DCS needs to do it better!!

I still like and will play WWII DCS MP no matter what the conditions.

Plan on doing both if my brain cells can keep up to the knowledge demand.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Still no server interested in at least trialling this?

It's not that I'm asking for a well populated one to help, but it would be great if another could give it a go to see how many others are like me in vr.

For ref, had another try on BS server last night. Joined a furball chasing an aircraft I thought was probably German by his use of energy. Spent 2 mins getting into a firing position, before realising he was a friendly, then was knocked down by an enemy who I'd incorrectly guessed was a good guy. It's really not amusing.

Awesome, my thanks. Will take a look, hopefully tonight.