MiG vs Sabre-- Climb Rate - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #41
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Кош View Post
And it has in DCS. Its just harder to discriminate that in the game than in reality.
Yes, the bot is flying in ideal conditions, and is ideal itself. But very unimaginative in terms of tactics.

Yes! I totally agree! Oh well...Its better than nothing though. I really like the MiG-15, much fun to fly and I can really tell the difference between a human player and AI.

I tried a MiG -15 against an "Good to Excellent" Mig-15 AI and have the same frustrations as I do with a Sabre!!! So its not the MiG at all

Last edited by Harley Davidson; 02-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Harley Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #42
Squiffy

I got upset last night after I dl'd the beta update. But of course I realized what had happened. It over wrote my tweaked "inferior sabre" .lua file. and shell.lua.

Two things that defintely need to be changed:

F-86.lua barrel warp and shot heat equations. Just wrong. Effective range out to about 2000, 2100 meters. A 50 cal can go a half a mile with out much drop.

Shell.lua. M2_50 regular and APIT. Muzzle velocity stupid low. Just compare the game arc to gun camera footage. 830??? More like 900m/s is tons better. Also active life range out to 9 units instead of 7. Heck even 8 would be nice.

Then you start to see the reality of high muzzle v gun vs. low muzzle v cannon. That's the truth. Physics makes you balance the punch with muzzle velocity. This comes into play with g loading too and is another reason why the Sabre thrived over MiG alley. High g maneuvers, enabled by the g suit and flying stab, also limited the effectiveness of the low muzzle v cannon. MiGs could not pull enough lead to score hits on a high g Sabre. Period. Boots Blesse states this in his Dog Fights interview. When all these parts don't work correctly we have a problem. See my sig. MiG Alley was the rear guard of N Korea. The Yalu river is the border with China. This is where the UN Sabres flew cross country with drop tanks to go and kill MiGs. Where they would be found. Sabres flew CAP and fighter sweep missions. I have heard no stories of "Sabre Alley" where MiGs flew down, cross country, to establish air superiority and hunt the "inferior armed" and "poor climb performance" F-86. Say between Gwangjiu and Daegu and the Pacific Ocean. Kimpo and Kunsan are closer to the DMZ. I don't remember hearing any stories about these bases being raided or under sustained harassment after MacArthur did his brilliant end around after the initial NKA push to the coast and performed a re-invasion at Inchon. It's not that hard. I did it quickly again last night. Muzzle velocity, barrel warp, shell life, and oh yeah. I cheated and gave the Sabre 200 lbs more thrust. Haha!

And yes, the AI is air show perfect especially at the limit. Meanwhile, I'm tumbling around like a clay pigeon for cannon shells in my hyperealistic FM Sabre.

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there! I'm on my way!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Last edited by Squiffy; 04-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #43
Кош

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I got upset last night after I dl'd the beta update. But of course I realized what had happened. It over wrote my tweaked "inferior sabre" .lua file. and shell.lua.

Two things that defintely need to be changed:

F-86.lua barrel warp and shot heat equations. Just wrong. Effective range out to about 2000, 2100 meters. A 50 cal can go a half a mile with out much drop.

Shell.lua. M2_50 regular and APIT. Muzzle velocity stupid low. Just compare the game arc to gun camera footage. 830??? More like 900m/s is tons better. Also active life range out to 9 units instead of 7. Heck even 8 would be nice.

Then you start to see the reality of high muzzle v gun vs. low muzzle v cannon. That's the truth. Physics makes you balance the punch with muzzle velocity. This comes into play with g loading too and is another reason why the Sabre thrived over MiG alley. High g maneuvers, enabled by the g suit and flying stab, also limited the effectiveness of the low muzzle v cannon. MiGs could not pull enough lead to score hits on a high g Sabre. Period. Boots Blesse states this in his Dog Fights interview. When all these parts don't work correctly we have a problem. See my sig. MiG Alley was the rear guard of N Korea. The Yalu river is the border with China. This is where the UN Sabres flew cross country with drop tanks to go and kill MiGs. Where they would be found. Sabres flew CAP and fighter sweep missions. I have heard no stories of "Sabre Alley" where MiGs flew down, cross country, to establish air superiority and hunt the "inferior armed" and "poor climb performance" F-86. Say between Gwangjiu and Daegu and the Pacific Ocean. Kimpo and Kunsan are closer to the DMZ. I don't remember hearing any stories about these bases being raided or under sustained harassment after MacArthur did his brilliant end around after the initial NKA push to the coast and performed a re-invasion at Inchon. It's not that hard. I did it quickly again last night. Muzzle velocity, barrel warp, shell life, and oh yeah. I cheated and gave the Sabre 200 lbs more thrust. Haha!

And yes, the AI is air show perfect especially at the limit. Meanwhile, I'm tumbling around like a clay pigeon for cannon shells in my hyperealistic FM Sabre.

May I ask you Sir what is your experience in live shooting 50 cals?

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...g/50_ammo.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=50+c...06DXeQrYcCA-M:

324 division had hands tied by political-driven ROE. Same as USN and USAF later in Vietnam.

And please stop comparing the Sabre to AI MiG. Want to compare anything - go online.