Helicopter placement.

steelrfan85

Is there a way to have the helo spawn and take off from a spot on the carrier and then fly over and do its starboard side patrol? I know it can be placed off the carrier but didn’t know if it’s possible to have it take off from the carrier. Also if so is there a way to make it take off at a certain time so when I’m in deck from cold start the helicopter is waiting on deck and then takes off a few minutes later. Probably stupid questions but was just curious.

Here is one for the Abraham Lincoln. It also works for any of the US carriers and

the Kuznetsov. All you need to do is change the unit names of the ships and helos to match.

It can also be added to any existing mission.

-------------------------------

-- Rescue Helo Script --

--------------------------------

-- NOTE: The RESCUE helo object has to be a GLOBAL variable or the lua garbage collector will deallocate it for unknown reasons.

-- Rescue Helo @ CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln.

RescueheloLincoln=RESCUEHELO:New(UNIT:FindByName("CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln"), "Lincoln Helo")

RescueheloLincoln:SetHomeBase(AIRBASE:FindByName("CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln"))

RescueheloLincoln:SetTakeoffHot()

RescueheloLincoln:SetAltitude(25)-- Where altitude is the altitude the helo flies at in meters. Default is 70 meters.

RescueheloLincoln:SetOffsetX(25)--Where *distance is the distance in the direction of movement of the carrier. Default is 200 meters.

RescueheloLincoln:SetOffsetZ(100)-- Where *distance is the distance on the starboard side. Default is 100 meters.

RescueheloLincoln:Start()

Load Moose as "4Mission Start" and load mission script as "Once, No Event"

In mission editor, select either SB-60B or CH-53E.

(any chopper will work, but these are the most commonly used for rescue)

Make sure unit group names are the same as the script.

Place near the ship and select "Late Activation."

The helo will start on deck with engines running, take off and in three 1/2 minutes total,

it will take up station on the starboard side of the ship. It will follow The ship perfectly regardless

of speed or direction. GL & HF

Lincoln_Rescue_Helo.miz

Lincoln_Rescue_Helo.lua

Edited by rayrayblues
typo

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I have been getting PM's from a few other guys new to scripting wanting to know how

to insert, and customize the script. Since it is difficult at best to try to explain in words,

I decided to make a detailed video showing step by step instructions and include example

videos of how it plays in game.

Attached below are three scripts, ready to go, that you can add to any mission.

Just copy and paste them into a folder and insert them into your mission editor.

Good luck and have fun. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Ray

Roosevelt_Rescue_Helo.lua

Kuznetsov_Rescue_Helo.lua

Tarawa_Rescue_Helo.lua

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

This script looks really cool! Rescue helo that will be on station, ready to pickup pilots that have ejected.

Has anyone tried to implement this in a mission? Wondering if it works.

Good day,

DrDetroit

Thank you rayray for taking the time to explain how to get that working. Very much appreciated.

I've successfully added helos to the Lincoln, Kuznetsov and Tarawa in the "Through The Inferno" missions (for use on private server) by following your instructions. Very cool.

Couple things to note when adding to an existing and quite complex mission:-

1. Check to see if MOOSE is already activated in the mission triggers list so you don't add it again by mistake. If it's already in you just need to add the start helo script(s) at the end of the list.

2. Edit the Rescue Helo lua file to match the group and unit names given by mission maker. Don't change theirs as it may break the mission.

3. Comment out the last line in the helo lua that makes the carriers patrol their route indefinitely so it doesn't mess with the mission waypoints etc.

Oh and by the way the Tarawa Rescue Helo.lua that you posted has the names all mixed up with other carriers. Also the one for the Roosevelt has "Home Base" set as the Tarawa. You might want to fix that.

Thank you again for taking the time to make that video and for posting the files. Helped me get it working in no time.

Edited by Hunter_5E

Thank you rayray for taking the time to explain how to get that working. Very much appreciated.

I've successfully added helos to the Lincoln, Kuznetsov and Tarawa in the "Through The Inferno" missions (for use on private server) by following your instructions. Very cool.

Couple things to note when adding to an existing and quite complex mission:-

1. Check to see if MOOSE is already activated in the mission triggers list so you don't add it again by mistake. If it's already in you just need to add the start helo script(s) at the end of the list.

2. Edit the Rescue Helo lua file to match the group and unit names given by mission maker. Don't change theirs as it may break the mission.

3. Comment out the last line in the helo lua that makes the carriers patrol their route indefinitely so it doesn't mess with the mission waypoints etc.

Oh and by the way the Tarawa Rescue Helo.lua that you posted has the names all mixed up with other carriers. Also the one for the Roosevelt has "Home Base" set as the Tarawa. You might want to fix that.

Thank you again for taking the time to make that video and for posting the files. Helped me get it working in no time.

Yeah, the Roosevelt script was the same as the Tarawa one.

The Tarawa script is to take off from Tarawa and cover the Roosevelt. You can change the carrier name and the

helo will take off from Tarawa and cover any carrier.

I made one for the Ticonderoga as well. Works just fine.

Here is the corrected script for the Roosevelt. I didn't find anything wrong with the Tarawa script though.

What was mixed up?

Roosevelt_Rescue_Helo.lua

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

AH ok, I didn't realise you could set a different home base. Makes sense though. In that case there's nothing wrong with the Tarawa file and it was just my ignorance that's at fault :)

I did notice some slightly odd behaviour if you have three carriers in close proximity (aprox 15km apart) and you set up a helo to cover each one. I set up a CH-53 for Lincoln, an Mi-8 for Kuznetsov and an SH-60 for Tarawa.

I took off from Lincoln and ejected close astern. The CH-53 came straight for me but the Mi-8 and SH-60 also came over to rescue me. Since the CH-53 got there first, the other two kind of dithered a short distance away after they arrived. The SH-60 settled quite quickly and hovered until eventually returning to Tarawa but the Mi-8 did quite rapid tail spins on the spot for several minutes before eventually heading back to the Kuznetsov. Maybe a peculiarity of just the Mi-8?

Other than that though it worked great. Adds that bit of extra atmosphere to the carrier group.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the great instructions above. I'd like to be able to send a command to the rescue helo to RTB through a trigger, once we are all back on deck. I'm familiar with how to setup triggers but I'm having a lot of trouble working out the syntax for the script for the helo to RTB. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks in advance.