AI resiliancy

BSS_Vidar

Discovered something interesting on the damage model with the FW AI. I completely shot away a tail surface and watched it fly by my canopy. Looked back at the bogie and it still had a tail and was fully maneuverable.

The only time the AI is rendered dead is if you separate it from a wing. However, the nav lights do come on when it quits.

I don't mind it so much off-line because it gets me more time on target, but I hope this doesn't translate into the flyable version! ;-)

\/

I took the mission from the stock campaign that sets you against two opposing Mustangs, and I changed the AI planes to Doras with random skill.

I can punch the entire Dora full of holes, knock pieces of airframe completely off, see vapor trails from both wings and smoke from the engine, and that FW-190 displays not the slightest change in performance. As far as I can tell, the AI opponent is never damaged; only killed outright. To kill them, you can set 'em on fire, chop a wing off, or shoot the pilot.

But maybe I'm wrong or just unlucky. Has anybody ever seen a 190 with a dead engine, but not on fire? Just a stopped propeller? Or possibly a 190 with damaged/destroyed control surfaces go into a spin?

Edited by White Owl

AI Dora has superpowers

So glad to have found this thread. I first I thought I was just the worst fighter pilot ever, then I thought I was crazy. After weeks of trying, only to get shot down again and again (usually by a single round) I finally shot the tail off the AI Dora only to see her grow a new one. Unfortunately no screenshot but I do have this after a ground attack with rockets where you can see all the extra tails the Dora carrys. That is the wreckage of a single aircraft.

I too have turned the AI into a sieve with with smoke billowing and have seen no decernable ruduction in performance.

I love this sim but I really, really hope this gets fixed. It seems strange that with all the energy that has gone into making the FM as close to real as possible some energy would be put into the damage model as well. Hopefully DCS WWII won't have this error.

Screen_130918_130833.thumb.jpg.89cf45a0898ed83236a328ee6bf89413.jpg

I just try to think of the 190 AI as a very resilient practice drone. If you only hit him dead astern it may take a lot of bullets. If you hit the cockpit or engine it will ignite quite fast. Try different deflection shots. There is a big difference from peppering shots all over the a/c and concentrating firepower in a specific area.

I did prove however that our P-51D tails do not re-grow, after an unfortunate incident yesterday. I was able to resume flight after a few tense moments but yaw control was a bit of a challenge.

halftail.jpg.6259989efef3e0b406bb24b798d5f86c.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I did prove however that our P-51D tails do not re-grow, after an unfortunate incident yesterday. I was able to resume flight after a few tense moments but yaw control was a bit of a challenge.

There's something weird going on with the Mustang tails too. I was editing some video of a fight, and while my plane was taking hits I noticed in the rearview mirror what appeared to be half an elevator departing the empennage. Later in that same fight I went to external view, and all my Mustang's control surfaces appeared intact.

I'll try to get just that one section of video rendered and uploaded to share here.

nor do our wings...

Today I flew on Merlin's server. AI blew off half my left wing, yet I did manage to find the Ruskie airbase to the north to attempt landing her. For some reason the F10 map and the kneeboard no longer gave my position. So I guesstimated where the runway was. I was on fire all the way back. I never blew up but I did deplete my remaining left wing gas tank rather quickly. I doubt this wing fire thing is realistic in real life, but I bet somebody will post a Google search to prove me wrong.

I've seen strange things the AI aircraft do flying the various aircraft DCS offers. You were not seeing things...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yap, during the combat with Fw-190 I also noticed that You may put the bunch of holes in fuselage,wings or canopy...make the Dora smoky and fuel liking, chop of part of the tail but the plain continuing not just to fly and climbing in stratosphere it even continuing fighting... I think that in every AI plane there is pilot like Gunther Rall...Adolf Galand...Nowotny... Also think that flight model of damaged Dora is little beat exaggerated(!?) And in the end, I would like to fly just like AI, think that I would be the Ace, the Marshal of piston aviation in DCS World!!! ;)

Lule:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]D:\avioni\razno\potpis 1 orao.jpg[/sIGPIC]

I don't mind it so much off-line because it gets me more time on target, but I hope this doesn't translate into the flyable version! ;-)

\/

Of course it won't. My bet is that the AI plane will have a better damage model, too, once the full aircraft is modeled for humans.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Just to point out--that proves that they do not always regrow, but it doesn't prove that they never regrow. (Just throwing that out--I've never had it happen, but I haven't been able to fly the sim since before the A.I. FW 190D arrived.)

I destroyed an AI 109 that was on the ground and saw that it had about 6 or 7 tail section laying around it in a circular pattern. The tail section was also still attached to the plane however the propeller blades were broken.

Total newb question: In that video where the guy landed the plane with half a wing missing, how do you exit the cockpit with out ejecting your canopy? Sorry I'm at work so it's not like I can just open the game and look for the key commands at the moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

Just to point out--that proves that they do not always regrow, but it doesn't prove that they never regrow. (Just throwing that out--I've never had it happen, but I haven't been able to fly the sim since before the A.I. FW 190D arrived.)

Haha ok fair enough. Has anyone ever seen the tail of a P-51D regrow? I see the 190 regrow a tail about once every 3 shootdowns. I've NEVER seen one fall off or regrow on an AI or client Mustang.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Total newb question: In that video where the guy landed the plane with half a wing missing, how do you exit the cockpit with out ejecting your canopy? Sorry I'm at work so it's not like I can just open the game and look for the key commands at the moment.

Roll back the canopy then eject/bail.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]