104th Phoenix - Operation Longbow - Dynamic PvP Mission - Page 60 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #591
RightStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFu View Post
Maybe bandwidth related vs good system as I have 1Gbps up/down.
It is definitely not a problem with bandwidth:
I monitored UL/DL while joining and there was only normal, steady traffic in low kB/s.
But I saw that my graphics memory slowly filled.
Though, it seems that this a local issue of the misssion/theater because of much data. Whatever they are...

As already mentioned and approved:
Loading the mission in advance in SP and afterwards joining MP helps.
Using this procedure I never had a kickback to the default screen.
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #592
KungFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightStuff View Post
It is definitely not a problem with bandwidth:
I monitored UL/DL while joining and there was only normal, steady traffic in low kB/s.
But I saw that my graphics memory slowly filled.
Though, it seems that this a local issue of the misssion/theater because of much data. Whatever they are...

As already mentioned and approved:
Loading the mission in advance in SP and afterwards joining MP helps.
Using this procedure I never had a kickback to the default screen.
Well hopefully the patch today will help with the VRAM being used up. With an 11GB card I don't really notice issues, but everyone I know with 4/6GB cards definitely see issues after some time in game.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #593
RightStuff

Jep.. I‘m in that 4G line...
Eager to see the update and its benefits in stable.
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #594
[Maverick]
ED Testers Team

104th Radar Operators working deep underground in a secret location detected several Chinese J-11As arriving over night in to the Caucasus region to join as part of Operation Longbow.

As of this time it is not clear what the next move is for the Chinese aircraft, however confirmed sightings have been made at Krasonodar Pashkovsky Airbase of the J-11A's performing what looked to be Quick Reaction Alert exercises.

The arrival of the J-11As from China coincide with the latest NATO gunship to arrive in the region the SA342 Minigun Helicopter.
NATO commanders hope these aircraft will help to slow any future enemy movements, although the fight will be tough going with Russia receiving some serious backup from its Chinese ally.

Server updated to 2.5.1.16543.355

104th Phoenix Squadron Leader / Total Poser / Elitist

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Squadron Leader, not a software developer!"

www.104thPhoenix.com
www.facebook.com/104thPhoenix
104th F-15C Skin
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by [Maverick]; 04-27-2018 at 06:43 AM.
[Maverick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #595
Adixylian

Greetings!

Maverick, this has probably been asked but here it comes.

What are hardware specifications for the Server? And how are you hosting it? On VPN or you bought a PC, installed DCS and you never shut-off the PC? And one more question, what is the internet bandwith, D/U?

I have noticed that your server, as populated as it is, doesn't crash that often as BF does. Also, you keep it running for longer than 3 hours (comparison with the BF) and still keep it stable. There are 0 to none laggs, and no stutters. I'm thinking about making a dedicated server with my Virtual Squadron, but 1st we need hardware specs..

Thank you
Old 04-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #596
Shadoga

Hey Mav,

thanks for keeping Longbow current and up-to-date with OpenBeta, adding J-11 and BRRT-zelle!
Also nice to see a "vintage" Longbow version running from time to time like yesterday.

Having been on the original version yesterday evening, I'd like to add my votes to 2 frequently discussed options of Longbow that I didn't comment on before:

+1 for switching off client takeoff & landing server messages

+1 for re-enabling choppers to load&drop manpad teams

Just voicing my opinion, no need to start discussing or justifying matters again, pros&cons have been exchanged already in detail here...

Cheers!
Shadoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #597
Shadow KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adixylian View Post
Greetings!

Maverick, this has probably been asked but here it comes.

What are hardware specifications for the Server? And how are you hosting it? On VPN or you bought a PC, installed DCS and you never shut-off the PC? And one more question, what is the internet bandwith, D/U?

I have noticed that your server, as populated as it is, doesn't crash that often as BF does. Also, you keep it running for longer than 3 hours (comparison with the BF) and still keep it stable. There are 0 to none laggs, and no stutters. I'm thinking about making a dedicated server with my Virtual Squadron, but 1st we need hardware specs..

Thank you
I believe as has been mentioned previously, the stability comes from the mission as scripts are brought down to a minimum, meaning a lot of manual work put in with triggers

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #598
Terrificfool

104th users primarily mission triggers and cuts down on the number of scripts they use (though they do use some). You can actually download Operation Longbow from the link in Maverick's post and take a look at how it is implemented, if you so choose.

My own testing developing a few missions for DoW and doing some early testing on SeaQuark's Korea server seemed to confirm that trigger based missions are more stable, at least for me. The mission trigger system is substantially lighter weight and more stable than the simulator scripting engine running large scripts continuously. On-demand,event driven scripting on the other hand seems to be a bit more stable.

Contrast the 104ths approach with something like Blue Flag which has substantially more scripts running. A lot of the scripts that have come out over the years rely on continuous execution of the script which is non-ideal in many ways. Piling them on is not necessarily the best for stability purposes.
Terrificfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #599
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

BlueFlag stability / performance has little to do with scripts - as dcs has improved over the years so has the load required on the CPU. The scripts have been optimised to the nth degree and without them it performs the same.

I have a write-up somewhere of our script timings and the longest call is no more than 10 ms or so and most sub 10 ms

Our server has a 2.2Ghz CPU - so it's mostly hampered by that.

The number of active AI units also has a direct correlation - we have a lot.

Tldr; faster CPU = better performance

Sorry for OT

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #600
HiJack
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciribob View Post
Our server has a 2.2Ghz CPU - so it's mostly hampered by that.
Your server have a GPU with 4GB memory or more?

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote