Air to Air weapon effectiveness - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #41
Emu

I also doubt you could cut through jamming from that range.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #42
Boogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I also doubt you could cut through jamming from that range.
True. That said the KS172 was never fully pursued by the Russians AFAIK. The very similar Chinese VLRAAM apparently has both an RF and IR seekerhead though. If it's directed at large lumbering ISR aircraft and tankers it may still be viable as a weapon used in an opportunistic fashion. Could also launch from a Flanker derivative and hand off guidance to a J20 that is closer to the target I suppose...
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #43
Emu

Would also be a shame if such a large and expensive missile was shot down by a sidewinder before it got there.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #44
Gearbox

Quote:
Would also be a shame if such a large and expensive missile was shot down by a sidewinder before it got there.
It's moving pretty fast so acquiring and launching on it in time would be difficult for a human. I could see what amounts to a point defense system being created for HVTs like tankers and AWACS though.

That reminds me of a thought I had the other day... I assume the large missiles launched by the S-400 system are not stealthy at all and could be easily acquired by most airborne radar. Could they be downed by an AMRAAM?
Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #45
Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
It's moving pretty fast so acquiring and launching on it in time would be difficult for a human. I could see what amounts to a point defense system being created for HVTs like tankers and AWACS though.

That reminds me of a thought I had the other day... I assume the large missiles launched by the S-400 system are not stealthy at all and could be easily acquired by most airborne radar. Could they be downed by an AMRAAM?
Not if they have IRST and HMCS.

Well the S-400 missiles are a lot faster but theoretically it's possible. However the stated speed of the KS-172 is Mach 4, so that's easily interceptable.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #46
Boogieman

Quote:
Not if they have IRST and HMCS.

Well the S-400 missiles are a lot faster but theoretically it's possible. However the stated speed of the KS-172 is Mach 4, so that's easily interceptable.
I think this is the premise behind the MSDM - a hardkill defensive munition to be used alongside conventional softkill measures. That said I imagine an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure on this one - better to kill the launch platform with F35/22 before you have a Mach 5+, ~600kg problem to deal with.

Last edited by Boogieman; 01-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
I think this is the premise behind the MSDM - a hardkill defensive munition to be used alongside conventional softkill measures. That said I imagine an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure on this one - better to kill the launch platform with F35/22 before you have a Mach 5+, ~600kg problem to deal with.
No doubt, I think IRIS-T already claims anti-AAM capability and it isn't special among other NATO AAMs of the same class.