Baur Su-35 vs Slaw RX Viper Pedals (for modern Western fighters)

I am honing in on finalizing my decision between purchasing either the Baur BRD Su-35 style pedals or the Slaw RX Viper pedals. For both pedals I will install a damper upon arrival, and the pedals will be mounted to my Wheel Stand Pro. Has anyone used both pedals where they could provide some comparison to help inform my decision?

As noted in the title, my pedals will be used for modern Western fighters...currently the F15, and in the future the F-14 and F-18.

Lastly, does anyone know if either of these pedals are "out of the box" mountable to the Wheel Stand Pro footplate? I know that the MFG Crosswinds are, but I can't seem to find any information regarding either of these pedals and their WSP compatibility...perhaps it is being lost in the Russian to English translation, but I have had no luck.

Thank you all for any insight you may be able to provide, given the cost this is a big decision to make :pilotfly:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

After some back and forth with both Baur and Slaw via email (both have been FANTASTIC in terms of helpfulness and response times, BTW, really great guys), I have decided to proceed with the BRD F2's with Su-35 pedals, including a damper installed by Baur himself.

The reasoning for this decision is that in all cases where I have found testimonials from simmers that have owned and/or used both the Baur's and the Slaw's, they have preferred (or used as their primary pedals) the Baur's. I think that speaks for itself. It seems that Slaw's pedals have the preferred toe brakes, but with some adjustment to the Baur's pedal angle (or some saturation adjustments to reduce the length needed for full braking power) the Baur's are damn close. Otherwise, all cases point to the Baur's being preferred in all other facets. Plus, Baur's pedals are a little cheaper which is always welcomed. Personally, I think the RX Viper pedals look cooler than the Su-35 pedals, but I'm not really going for looks on this...I want the best functioning pedals, not the best looking.

I am drafting my order response to Baur now to officially place my order, but before I do so I wanted to ask if anyone has used these pedals with a Wheel Stand Pro? I have the pedal plate fitted for MFG Crosswind compatibility/integration that comes with the WSP, will these BRD pedals be able to be fitted somehow to that plate? I am assuming I can just drill holes into the place and bolt these pedals to it?

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I had the same question a few days ago, and ended up ordering both. I saw the same feedback that the Slaw Device has better toe brakes (because they use a cam), but the Baur feels smoother around the center. I also have a Wheel Stand Pro. The Baur will be arriving in a few days, and the Slaw Device order will be ready sometime in November.

You will have to drill holes to mount either. The compatibility will mostly depend on if the center of the pedals is raised so that you can secure the pedal plate to the stand using the center hole. I think the Baur is raised, but no idea about the Slaw. If the pedals interferes with the center hole though, you can still rest the plate on the stand using the rubber rings that were included, and push it back so that it hits the rear bar. It's quite resistant to slipping this way, and not all that necessary to mount down, especially with a set of heavy pedals on top.

I had the same question a few days ago, and ended up ordering both. I saw the same feedback that the Slaw Device has better toe brakes (because they use a cam), but the Baur feels smoother around the center. I also have a Wheel Stand Pro. The Baur will be arriving in a few days, and the Slaw Device order will be ready sometime in November.

You will have to drill holes to mount either. The compatibility will mostly depend on if the center of the pedals is raised so that you can secure the pedal plate to the stand using the center hole. I think the Baur is raised, but no idea about the Slaw. If the pedals interferes with the center hole though, you can still rest the plate on the stand using the rubber rings that were included, and push it back so that it hits the rear bar. It's quite resistant to slipping this way, and not all that necessary to mount down, especially with a set of heavy pedals on top.

Ordered both? Wow, nice man! I look forward to hearing your feedback on both of them, especially the BRD pedals in the near term. It will be great to have another side-by-side comparison for feedback on each set. Did you go with the F2's on the BRD's as well?

I figured if I needed to trade off somewhere, the toe brakes having a little longer throw distance wasn't as big of a deal as having perfect/smooth mechanics and feel around the center...so it was the place to trade off.

Also, did your WSP come with this pedal plate (below)? I am thinking I should just be able to drill some holes into the plate that match the pattern on the F2's and then utilize the F2's pre-drilled holes around the base to bolt it down with the supplies nuts and bolts from Baur, no?

1404327973-wheelstand-wheel-stand-pro-HOTAS-WARTHOG%E2%84%A2-V2%20V2.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=156088&stc=1&d=1485779670

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Suggestion: Ask Bauer for drawing with the distance between bolts for fit F-2 on cockpits, wood plank:

F-2.jpg

Submit this drawing for WSP maker and ask for plate with holes matching F-2 base. :thumbup:

Someone did this with Crosswind and Obutto makers, is convenient for both makers.

Suggestion: Ask Bauer for drawing with the distance between bolts for fit F-2 on cockpits, wood plank:

F-2.jpg

Submit this drawing for WSP maker and ask for plate with holes matching F-2 base. :thumbup:

Someone did this with Crosswind and Obutto makers, is convenient for both makers.

Great idea, I can do this. For myself though, since I already own the pedal plate, I will need to drill my own holes to bolt Baur's pedals down...thank god my father is handy and has the tools for this small project haha :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I ordered the Baur BRD-F2 because it's the only one that has toe brakes, a damper, and allows for hard mounting. The plate that came with my WSP has 2 mounting holes for the MFG Crosswind and a center hole to hold it to the stand itself. I've attached a PDF of the F2 mounting hole pattern.

Thank you for the pattern! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the pedals once yours arrive, as well as hearing more about your mounting solution for them onto the WSP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

u should definately mount a damper when testing your slaw pedals.

If you tell Roman that you want a damper, he will include and install one for you. He charged me 3550 RUB for it, which comes out to 62 USD with the current exchange rate. You can get one online for cheaper (around $30-40), but I figured that $62 for a damper that's matched to the pedals and already installed is worth the extra cost.

Yup, I did the same thing...Roman is installing one for me when building/assembling my pedals.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Someone talk me out of canceling my order and ordering the Slaw RX Vipers instead!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Simply put, I can't! I own Slaw's RX Vipers, but I have never used Roman's pedals. However, they seem very well-designed and constructed like all his products. I suggest only that the RX Vipers look better, and have the advantage of adjustable spring tension on every axis. They use smooth cams on the toebrakes, and the pedal base (bar) does not rotate with the brake portion, something I consider to be an advantage. This means that you can rest the balls of your feet on the pedals without concern of accidentally moving a brake, and you can even tap a brake with your toe without shifting your foot position. It's a small compliment, but it really is a nice difference from the all-moving pedal type.

Really, I think they're both probably excellent. I can tell Baur makes great products by the design and construction. Slaw's work is just a little bit more somehow, I think because he works solely in the rudder pedal domain. Baur products are very utilitarian, Slaw's products are artistically intricate. Pick the one that draws you more, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. A truly solid set of pedals makes a surprisingly big difference.

Simply put, I can't! I own Slaw's RX Vipers, but I have never used Roman's pedals. However, they seem very well-designed and constructed like all his products. I suggest only that the RX Vipers look better, and have the advantage of adjustable spring tension on every axis. They use smooth cams on the toebrakes, and the pedal base (bar) does not rotate with the brake portion, something I consider to be an advantage. This means that you can rest the balls of your feet on the pedals without concern of accidentally moving a brake, and you can even tap a brake with your toe without shifting your foot position. It's a small compliment, but it really is a nice difference from the all-moving pedal type.

Really, I think they're both probably excellent. I can tell Baur makes great products by the design and construction. Slaw's work is just a little bit more somehow, I think because he works solely in the rudder pedal domain. Baur products are very utilitarian, Slaw's products are artistically intricate. Pick the one that draws you more, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. A truly solid set of pedals makes a surprisingly big difference.

Appreciate the feedback, I agree with your thoughts on their aesthetics - the RX Viper's definitely LOOK much better. At the same time, Baur's pedals do have a certain cool factor about their look as they look very "military".

Looks aside, every review that I have read where a person has used both pedals, they say: 1) the BRD's are overall better and smoother feeling, but 2) the Slaw's toe brakes are a lot better (have a smaller throw for max braking). I should disclaim this by saying there are only a few reviews I've found where a person has used both, and in all cases the users have said both pedals are absolutely incredible. So, like you said, really can't go wrong either way.

I do like that Baur will install the damper for me so that I don't need to worry about screwing that up myself on the RX Vipers, so that is a plus for the F2's.

I am seriously torn, I had placed an order on the F2's w/ Damper 2 days ago, then I placed an order on the RX Vipers late last night -- both have 2-3 month waiting lists, but I will need to cancel one of the orders ASAP.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Why such a hurry on pedals? I see you already have Saitek pedals... VirPil is promising pedals soon; given their partnership with Baur and quality of T-50, there is enough reason to hold off until they at least unveil them...

Virpil has already announced/teased pedals on these forums and they were the pedalless helo style ones...not of interest to me. I don't want to wait forever for a concept, design, testing, announcing, pre-ordering, production, etc.

They won't be any better than the two options I've referenced here anyway, and frankly I think the Saitek's are shit.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

They won't be any better than the two options I've referenced here anyway, and frankly I think the Saitek's are shit.

Don't be so sure about pedals being inferior - after all Baur is part of the team and IMO, the most rational thing for them to do would be to take his existing pedal design and mass produce it. At the very least, they will at least ask for his input on pedals even if it's a completely new design...

P.S. Virpil never confirmed their pedals won't have toe brakes, which to me means design has not been finalized to that extend at the time they posted the blacked out profile image.

Mass production does not equal quality improvement. Usually, it means the opposite.

So far Virpil is struggling with their current batch of joysticks, which takes longer then deliver as planned and have some teething issues. Not bashing Virpil, it's quite common in hardware development, but I wouldn't wait for another product that hasn't even been released yet.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Don't be so sure about pedals being inferior - after all Baur is part of the team and IMO, the most rational thing for them to do would be to take his existing pedal design and mass produce it. At the very least, they will at least ask for his input on pedals even if it's a completely new design...

P.S. Virpil never confirmed their pedals won't have toe brakes, which to me means design has not been finalized to that extend at the time they posted the blacked out profile image.

None of these things entice me to wait. Mass production? No thanks. Pedals still in a design phase meaning a long time until I could actually have them at my home for use? No thanks. Still speculating on what the final version of those pedals actually will become? No thanks.

I appreciate the suggestion but it's not going to work for me, plain and simple. I want these Saitek's gone ASAP, the 2-3 month wait I'm looking at already is going to be painful enough.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

FWIW, I've changed my order from the BRD F2's to the RX Vipers...I just kept thinking about ordering them instead, which told me that is exactly what I should do.

Nothing again Roman's pedals and I am sure they are phenomenal, but I was drawn to the RX Vipers for whatever reason.

Going to order a damper and install it myself once I get the email that the pedals are ready. Sadly I'm looking at a 3 month wait for that.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Both pedals are fine. Damper installation is easy. I have a damper though I run my F2's without one as I found I am missing out on precision when a damper is fitted.

It's great to fit a damper for helicopter flights along with removing the centering spring. Easy to do on F2's not sure about the Slaw's.

The only bad thing about Slaw pedals is that they are twice the price of Baur's. :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

The only bad thing about Slaw pedals is that they are twice the price of Baur's. :)

lol, amen to that! They are expensive, but I am hoping they will be worth it :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

lol, amen to that! They are expensive, but I am hoping they will be worth it :thumbup:

I have ZERO doubt that you will be absolutely happy with Slaw's work as his pedals are THE most advanced pedals on the market. Period. As already stated, they even have cams on the toe brakes, are damper capable and have great adjustment angles. Roman's pedals do not have cam profiled brakes. As minor as that can be, it's still nice to have. People mod Roman's pedals to have small hydraulic dampers on the brakes to have a nice feel though.

Also, Slaw has absolutely stunning finishing.

Do not worry, you'll be a proud owner of a true work of art. Congratulations. :)

P.S.

The only thing I wish for is that sometime, Slaw or Baur will design magnetically-held or fully force-feedback driven pedals so we can finally simulate rudder activity in the sim correctly. :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Absolutely! I believe I would've been very pleased with either the Slaw's or the Baur's...the brakes and the looks are what won me over to the Slaw's in the end. Can't wait for these next 3 months to pass

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: