What do I need to Max settings in VR

Hey guys, I am about to get in to VR and I would like to be able to max settings either in VR or 4k hopefully both. Could somebody please suggest the cheapest possible build to do so? I am currently using an GTX760 i7-4770k cpu @3.5ghz 16.0gb RAM and can almost max settings running at 1920x1200. Also what would be the best VR setup to get? I was thinking of upgrading to 1080ti and getting an oculus rift? Maybe a cpu upgrade will also be required?

For maxed out VR, such a build doesn't exist on the planet yet, no matter how money you've got :D.

A good, 4+ GHz CPU and 1080Ti seem to be a standard, though. Depending on your mobo, you might still be able to do some hefty overclocking on your 4770, then buy the card. Don't forget to look around VR section of the forum to see what performance experiences people have:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah I agree with Art, there is no such thing as max settings. We would need mulitcore and SLI support for such a thing to exist.

With that, I also agree with Art on the CPU and GPU. I run a 4790K at 4.6Ghz (OC'd from 4.0), and a 1080. I would get a few more FPS with a TI version. I also suggest 32Gig of Ram and an SSD for faster loading times.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

a 9080Ti with 1TB X-HBM4 VRAM and AMD's newest 64-core RyzenX with 15GHz on 3nm.

Mine does 45fps mostly....

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Agreed, there is no build currently that you will be able to max all settings in VR and have a smooth experience.

When it comes to VR, just get the best you can afford...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok well thanks for all the info.. I suppose I will attempt to max at 4k and then accept the best I can get with VR. I'm pretty much sold on the 1080TI.. I'll probably wait on the CPU upgrade until hopefully some more optimization out of DCS and this kernel memory issue gets resolved. Y'all think multi core support is coming our way for DCS?

Y'all think multi core support is coming our way for DCS?

I may be delightfully surprised with the release of 2.5 but I don't think I will be. Thats probably a 3.5 topic.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I see you mostly have the same rig I was considering upgrading to.. can I ask what sort of performance you are able to get with VR? How high are you able to put your settings (of note I do not plan to overclock much as I have never really been confortable or competent enough)

Right now, the optimum seems to be a 1080ti, 32GB DDR4, SSD and a fast i5 running as close to 5Ghz as possible.

The only thing to really be aware of is the stated aim by ED to add Vulkan support at some point, potentially starting this year. Vulkan "can" make use of CPU hyperthreads to offload workload from the GPU. I say can, as it needs detailed development work by the game developer to take advantage of it. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if the initial release of Vulkan for DCS doesn't result in significant gains, but at least gets it out there to test, then with follow on releases introducing the real performance wins.

The above means that it's worth thinking about hyperthreading capabilities on potential PC builds, quite possibly considering the use of AMD instead of Intel.

Personally I intend to sit on the fence running my ancient i5 2500 until some of the unknowns get cleared up.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This might do it, though I suspect low single core speed and IPC would hold it back...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_TaihuLight

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

This might do it, though I suspect low single core speed and IPC would hold it back...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_TaihuLight

It just might hold a steady 90fps... :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I broke tradition and rather than build my rig splurged and got the fastest system Falcon Northwest had as my Xmas gift.

I don't care HOW much faster you can go, what we have with VR is IT. I can already max everything unless you go piling on ai and it looks, well rough. No amount of HP or spell casting is going to change the overall look of vasoline smeared glasses.

Time, patience and future support is all we can do.

JimJam, it may be because you were on 4K (but I was using 3X 22" monitors) but if it does look like vasoline smeared glasses, something may be wrong. It's never going to be as sharp as a monitor, but you should be able to read the dials, gauges etc. But some planes are better than others. Harrier is actually quite good. As is the Huey. I those, can you read the gauges? Or are they illegible?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I broke tradition and rather than build my rig splurged and got the fastest system Falcon Northwest had as my Xmas gift.

I don't care HOW much faster you can go, what we have with VR is IT. I can already max everything unless you go piling on ai and it looks, well rough. No amount of HP or spell casting is going to change the overall look of vasoline smeared glasses.

Time, patience and future support is all we can do.

+1

Good attitude, it is what it is for now.

Take it or leave it.

We have the fastest rigs for DCS that money can buy today. Period

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

+1

Good attitude, it is what it is for now.

Take it or leave it.

We have the fastest rigs for DCS that money can buy today. Period

I got 90 FPS in MP Nevada last night with shed loads of units. I am happy;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have just bought an awesome system - overkill some might say but I was trying to future proof my purchase as much as poss. Got a 10 core 7900x at 4.5 GHz, a 1080 ti, 32 gigs of Ram and much much more.

I'm able to get a constant 45 fps with most settings maxed out and it is an amazing experience. Some settings were throttled back a bit though to enable the smooth 45 fps constant.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

I have just bought an awesome system - overkill some might say but I was trying to future proof my purchase as much as poss. Got a 10 core 7900x at 4.5 GHz, a 1080 ti, 32 gigs of Ram and much much more.

I'm able to get a constant 45 fps with most settings maxed out and it is an amazing experience. Some settings were throttled back a bit though to enable the smooth 45 fps constant.

Nice rig :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice rig :)

Oh it is bud ;-) Cost a bloody fortune lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.