Virtual Air Racing Series 2018 Season

GrinnelliDesigns

This is my first contact with a organised multiplayer event and I need to say it was absolutely fantastic. Organizer made an amazing job to prepare the infrastructure (DCS mission, website, personalised liveries) and also managed the event in a very professional manner. All these efforts have been of course accomplished by the participants, which performed in the same profesional manner.

Great event, great people, I am just very happy I joined it. Looking forward meet you all on the next sessions.

Good luck and fly safe everyone!

PS: I just need to add that my son Mibburo was equally excited about the race, in a way a I never saw him before :)

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I agree. It was all extremely well prepared, promoted and presented.

And it was a great time, even though I did swamp twice.

For those that haven't taken the opportunity to view the Replay on Twitch, I recommend it. It's entertaining and you can learn things about your flight that you may not have understood inside the cockpit.

It didn't work like that for me, but it was fun to watch it without the nerves giving me a hard time.

Thanks again for all the efforts Grinelli and thanks for all your help Shahdoh.

See you at the next race.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey this is amazing. This is like the red bull air race, especially we do that in other planes as the ones used in the red bull air race are not available, and in other places as we do not have those places :)

I have been in tthe red bull air race in cannes, and this was amazing. I'm not a good enough pilot to compete, but I'll surely download the tracks to have fun, practice, and to crash a lot ^^

So thanks for all this ^^

I wonder, can we download example tracks to practice? Also, in Cannes I found it interesting to see there was a manoeuver you have to do, like an himmelman, at the end of a turn you had to climb, roll, then come down again and go through the start / finish pylons. Is there a track there where you have to do this? Or those are just pure slalom? I have seen in the san diego race that you have to climb and turn but seems this is not a return like in Cannes red bull air race.

Look at the start here:

Edited by harf4ng

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

I have looked today at twitch records from Ascot and I payed more attention to the commentaries. They sound so professionally done to me, it can easily be published on any TV network. Excellent work.

Even it looks like a much easier track it proved to require even more DNFs than Abu Dhabi. So, no matter of track complexity we need to stay 100% focused, as the flying machines will not forgive us :)

Another great Saturday night ! Thank you!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I completely agree with Abburo. My only issue was with the Commentary Volume but I think that was addressed in Round 2 of yesterday's race.

My daughter watched on Twitch for a little while yesterday and also commented on the Professional Sounding Play-by-Play Commentary.

She was quite impressed with that and said if people didn't know any better they would think it was a Real Red Bull Race (not Sim).

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Yes, was another great event put on by Grinelli. Just would like to remind folks, that even though the tracks look like and are modeled in the same style, VARS is not sponsored by Red Bull, does not use the same rules and in no other way affiliated with Red Bull.

This is the VARS World Cup Series, a new phenomenon on its own.

/Salute

• 1 month later...

Be sure to join the Discord, may seem a bit quiet, but start asking questions and someone will be sure to answer. Also, Grinelli has the practice server up 24/7 on the Open Beta build (Virtual Air Racing Series | VirtualAirRace.com). The next race is Lausitzring. A fun, tight track that will teach you to roll your aircraft quickly and smoothly to get the best times. Hope to see you out there!

http://virtualairrace.com/races/lausitzring/

/Salute

Be sure to join the Discord, may seem a bit quiet, but start asking questions and someone will be sure to answer. Also, Grinelli has the practice server up 24/7 on the Open Beta build (Virtual Air Racing Series | VirtualAirRace.com). The next race is Lausitzring. A fun, tight track that will teach you to roll your aircraft quickly and smoothly to get the best times. Hope to see you out there!

http://virtualairrace.com/races/lausitzring/

/Salute

Thank very much.

Im a bit new to discord(used to teamspeak). Im donwloading Beta now.(only have stable)

Im really excited to meet all of you and looking forward to some great racing

edd

• 4 months later...

First of all please note: I do not speak on behalf of VARS. The following is my Opinions Only.

Grinnelli is the man who brought it altogether for us. So he's the man to contact for official information.

You can generally catch him on Discord during the day (or at the very least send him a PM there).

And of course Shahdoh usually knows what's going on or can answer questions relating to the Mustang and Racing better than most people.

Since the 2018 Series just ended only a couple weeks ago, there won't be any specific practice sessions "that I am currently aware of".

Generally speaking, most of us practiced on our own time either Online in VARS Server or offline if you have the offline versions of the race course (mission files).

There were many times when several of us would be in the server at the same time during which we could practice together (usually mayhem on the course ... but good for a laugh at the very least).

That said, I usually have my best luck finding people in the VARS Discord between 10am and 4pm Eastern (Toronto) time.

I'm certainly willing to fly during the day hours however, I have been offline most of this week. But if you'd like to PM me here or in Discord with a Day/Time you want to hook up, I'll gladly do what I can to do some racing on the 2018 courses with you.

Edited by SnowTiger
Brain Fart

• 2 years later...

Hello.

Just joined up ( ooh back in 2018 even...) . Several things pop out at me.

1) Installing the plane. ( edge 540 )

2) Installing the pylon stuff needed in the SP mission.

3) Discord.

4) Email updates.

I am new to DCs. and like other new people I am not sure how to install a mod.

1)

As this "mission" relies on the installation of the plane and the Pylons....

it might be GREAT if there was a step by step instruction for this.

and posted in a place people can find...

FYI: I had to work this out for myself and it was a pita. Especially when the instructions

that I did find were not actually correct. ( DCS.openbeta folder ???? )

See folder tree pic.

Which is in C:\Users\* PC name * \Saved Games\DCS\Mods

This actually works! No DCS.openbeta folder needed....

The mission says I need the Pylons mod, ....even though I have it installed... so that was a problem

until I realised that the message was not indicating that I did not have the Mod installed. SMH.

Everythign is fine, it's just stating a fact. It's not a warning that you have not got the mod installed.......

See in second pic.

3)

Discord. Not everyone wants to go there !!!!

So making this the only place to get info is ... a thing.

I prefer forums AND email. If there is news I want an email. I also want to log in and brows stuff in

a forum, not in a bunch of chat rooms. ugh.

Can we have a dedicated THREAD here ???? Please ? I am no Discord fan. Sorry!

4)

Take my stunt email addy !!!

When you have NEWS, send it. I am fine reading email. Love it.

Logging into discord, which try not use at all ever, to find out there is no news... well heck.

Email is great. Email works. Send me news by email!

So.

From what I can milk out of the info that is trapped in discord etc

2020 racing has been scrubbed. Am I right ? and from lack of interest?

Well this year is a thing.... life goes on.

anyhow...

I am going to practise the tracks in SP. If anything happens ... well I am not

going to checking into Discord every five minutes to find out.

and this: "Discord was popping off while you were away..." does not cut it. At all. S

Oh and anyone can set up a MP server with the mission on it. Or so I believe... maybe ?

S!

Plank.

c06e7f565936dcf3b74eb971a3fe9391.thumb.jpg.017aa3f4038ec303a8eaa77ab2bf53fb.jpg

1d42e25e22ec622ac23ec48be5409450.jpg.fbeb2ad615fa82b2efd69867643b5743.jpg