RWR sounding when friendly is locked

jck1231

Is the RWR supposed to sound for everyone, even when a friendly is being locked? I'm sitting on the deck of the Stennis, and a friend 100 miles away is fighting a Mig, and my RWR is going off like crazy. Far as I know, it's always done that.

It's always going to show any radar that is hitting your aircraft. If it's telling you that you are being locked by a friendly that means a friendly has you locked up. It's even a technique used to enhance situational awareness and prevent blue on blue. You can lock up a radar contact and say "raygun" (sometimes followed by a bullseye position) on comms and if someone replies "buddyspike" you have a friendly locked up and don't shoot them.

I think he means, if a radar is tracking (not search) another target some distance away, should his RWR also light up as being tracked.

The answer is no, it shouldn’t, a track beam is extremely narrow and focussed, and only the tracked aircraft should be hit by it (barring any reflections, etc which should not be strong enough to set off RWR)

I’ve noticed as well from time to time that SAMs in particular will set off my RWR as a track warning when they are tracking someone else. This isn’t accurate.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

What Sandman said and to add slightly IRL if you are flying decent combat spread then you know which of you are locked by the bandit, if you are 2v1for instance, unfortunately this is not the case in DCS.

It has been a limitation of the simulation since I really started flying multiplayer a couple of years ago and while I am sure ED are well aware of it I think it is probably beyond the scope of the current software, but I live in hope .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

There is definitely something unique about the Hornet's RWR compared to other aircraft in DCS, and I've noticed a lot of false-positive locked tones coming from it. It also makes raygun-buddy calls unreliable in busy airspace - if there's an enemy near a friendly Hornet and you lock the enemy, you'll get a 'buddy' call from your friend.

Apparently the Hornet lock beam is 3deg, and at 20 miles that can cover a fairly big chunk of sky, but completely subjectively it *feels* too big in the sim right now. No idea if it's a bug or working correctly and intended though. It definitely reduces your situational awareness compared to any other module in DCS.

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2021 at 11:05 AM, dorianR666 said:

BN said fixing this bug would require a big rework of netcode so its not happening in foreseeable future

TBH, they might as well remake the entire netcode for DCS to fix all those desync issues. I bet the currerent netcode is from FC2 era.

On 12/22/2021 at 1:05 AM, dorianR666 said:

BN said fixing this bug would require a big rework of netcode so its not happening in foreseeable future

IMHO: fixing this should have been their top priority. Getting locked on ground and "missile" warned on ground, made me look my tacviews. I found that frequently I defended against the ghosts, wasting opportunity, fuel, chaff and flares (unless you consider this realistic ECM measures by the enemy). The only workaround I found is to jump into a previously non-occupied slot or joining straight from the beginning of a mission.

• Like 1

You guys are way too spoiled with perfect sensor modeling in DCS and other sims, and other stuff such as only getting missile launch warnings when you are specifically the target without any consideration to basic rf propagation. "Spurious" warnings are not necessarily bugs. While in DCS some of these my be near-ridiculous, we are also missing many other factors that make real RWRs much less perfect sensors than what many think they are based on what they see in DCS and other pc sims. Just look at Victory205's comment...

• Like 3

This bug has been around for years and years and every time it is brought up someone springs up with his 'eh, you people all just don't understand radar' nonsense. Yes, you are right that those are effects that are a thing, but I doubt DCS specifically models them, really. Give it a little testing, you can get lock warnings from planes that are a hundred miles away and pointing cold when they lock someone else, no amount of 'these are sidelobes' or 'it just is a lot of power being sent out' handwaving is making that correct.

I am perfectly on board with these explanations for many scenarios and in fact I welcome that RWRs are far from perfect in the sim, as they certainly are in real life, but a lot of this reasoning has - for years now - made excuses for never properly investigating a long-standing bug.

As a matter of fact the explanation I am much more likely to buy is that this problem occurs in a much rarer manner if you mostly fly single player missions, simply by virtue of the changes of a friendly flight being far away from your own is so much lower, but if you fly multiplayer now and then you are very likely to notice this and quickly find situations in which none of 'the radar simulation is just so detailed that Kang doesn't get it' bits can possibly apply.

P.S.:

This also isn't entirely a Hornet problem. It happens across a lot of modules.

Edited by Kang
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Ahmed said:

You guys are way too spoiled with perfect sensor modeling

What's your evidence that this is some kind of interaction that's specifically modelled as opposed to being a bug? As for DCS sensors being simplified and not modeling complex limitations, yes, congratulations more news at eleven. There's a difference between not modelling nuanced interactions or real life imperfections correctly and having an egregious bug like this.

• Thanks 1

There is nothing of that modeled in DCS, just any player within a huge beamwidth (defined in the db files as 90º for most if not all emitters...) receiving a lock warning.

However, fixing only that and making only the locked player receive a lock warning won't send you anywhere closer to real life. It will just give you a perfect and ideal, almost magic, sensor.

What DCS should model is more accurate beamwidths and how a receiving RWR would interpret what it receives, that would lead to stuff such as getting spurious lock/launch warnings when you are not the target but are close enough to it, and other effects.

Of course real stuff suffers of many more limitations, such as mippling/ambiguities, longer times required to detect certain emissions, bad intel.... that are probably out of the scope of DCS.

So, TLDR, this seems to currently be half-bug/half-feature in DCS. Fixing the bug without completing the feature brings nothing but less realistic behavior.

Edited by Ahmed
  • Like 2

Absolutely, it would be wonderful to get these effects modeled and implemented properly. But while we can't have that I'd rather have the unrealistic perfectly working RWR over the unrealistic going nuts over somebody on the other side of the theatre being in a fight RWR.

• Like 6