Gun smoke obstructing view

Beast

There I am, in a high G pull into lead persuit, tracking for a gun shot, I half press the trigger and open the gun gas deflector doors in anticipation of my shot. There it is! I squeeze the trigger and the guns light up, and my windscreen fulls with smoke from the guns. The deflectors have done a great job keeping my engines from ingesting the smoke, but it has completely obscured my view and ability to track my target.

Does no one else have this problem? Seriously bad design. How can you see what you are shooting at?

No, seriously, how do you guys get any gun kills?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I honestly don't think it's too much. The guns are right in front of your face, you're obviously going to get a lot of smoke. Here's a video of some Swiss F-5s doing strafing runs:

It seems pretty close to what we have in DCS. I think you'll just have to live with it. Fire short, roughly 0.5 - 1s bursts and you'll be fine. You won't have time to lose track of your target. The F-5 isn't the Sabre, where you have to put 50 - 100 rounds on target to bring it down. A few good hits will do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see some more video evidence.

It isn't clear to me that the smoke in the Swiss demo video is coming over the canopy at 12:00 as it does in the game. Something like 11:00 and 1:00 would make much more sense, assuming this was still enough to keep the smoke out of the intakes in the anticipated airflow conditions.

Edited by Aries144
revised

Welcome to DCS, where all guns use black powder from 200 years ago! The real guns certainly make some smoke, but it is heavily exaggerated in game as can be seen in pretty much any video. The problem is the smoke is too dense and opaque in game.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

• 4 months later...

Hornet smokes even more in the same conditions:

Yet in DCS gun smoke from the Hornet does not obstruct the view, while with F-5 you get a wall of white plume.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 5 months later...
Hornet smokes even more in the same conditions:

Yet in DCS gun smoke from the Hornet does not obstruct the view, while with F-5 you get a wall of white plume.

Hornet has the gun mounted to one side, and even though the Vulcan has 6 barrels, they all fire out of the same position as they rotate. F5 has two barrels, both mounted just a couple feet to either side of the centerline of the fuselage.

Short bursts FTW.

There I am, in a high G pull into lead persuit, tracking for a gun shot, I half press the trigger and open the gun gas deflector doors in anticipation of my shot. There it is! I squeeze the trigger and the guns light up, and my windscreen fulls with smoke from the guns. The deflectors have done a great job keeping my engines from ingesting the smoke, but it has completely obscured my view and ability to track my target.

Does no one else have this problem? Seriously bad design. How can you see what you are shooting at?

No, seriously, how do you guys get any gun kills?

Apparently that was also a design problem in the original.

The answer is the Radar gunsight. If you follow proper procedures and lined up the pipper with the target before firing while they are locked in a pure pursuit, then your target isn't where the enemy aircraft is, it's where the pipper is pointing. A little bit of practice, and you won't need to look at the enemy aircraft at all to know where they're at, because you can follow the HUD symbology and find them every time.

Hornet has the gun mounted to one side, and even though the Vulcan has 6 barrels, they all fire out of the same position as they rotate.

You might want to check your facts. The Hornet gun is exactly on the centre line directly infront of the canopy.

F18_gatling_gun_nose.jpg

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.