Non web-installer download of install files

amperasand

I have a limited tethered connection capped at 30gig p/month. But I have unlimited downloads using just my phone.

Is there any way I can download the install files for DCS (either the new Alpha/beta or v.1.5) without using the web installer? Just using my phone?

grunf - I think you are describing tethering.

I mentioned my connection is metered and capped at 30gig when tethered. That's why I am trying to find a way to just get the install files downloaded to my phone. I have unlimited data on my phone as long as it's not tethered.

Then I hope to move the files over to my PC and install from there.

thanks for your input tho =]

You can't just copy DCS to your machine and have it work straight out of the box, but if you know someone with a machine somewhere else, that will let you either install from the web to an external drive (or to a machine you can move & attach to your computer's LAN), then if you copy the entire DCS install to your machine from that download, then use the method I've added below it will look for an existing local copy of DCS then copy as many files as it can use from that install to the new one - which will be most of them - then correctly register the install etc.

I did that a month or so ago when my computer died & I didn't want to eat my entire 120 GB cap in one day...

You could then delete the files you used as a source.

edit - If you do a forum search there'll be instructions...

Edit 2 - I did a search for you and found this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2912732&postcount=3

Treat the copied files as if they were the steam version.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

grunf - I think you are describing tethering.

I mentioned my connection is metered and capped at 30gig when tethered. That's why I am trying to find a way to just get the install files downloaded to my phone. I have unlimited data on my phone as long as it's not tethered.

Then I hope to move the files over to my PC and install from there.

thanks for your input tho =]

I have never heard of a Carrier detecting that you have tethered it to block and change the connection, it must be some phone I never used, they must be monitoring everything happening on your phone which is kinda creepy, but then again, I don't really know much about phones or mobile stuff in the first place since I keep as far away from them as possible.

Also you may be misunderstanding grunf, he means that you create a wireless access point with the phone's wifi feature, while having the data connection turned on, so you won't be using a cable tether, try that way. That's not called tethering. It could work that way. If they check that as well, then oh well.

For the computer to connect to that wireless AP, you can get a cheap 2.4 Ghz USB Wifi Card for 20 dollars and it'll work just fine in this case.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hey Wader8,

sorry I don't think I have been very clear about my situation.

I am using my phone essentially as my router via wifi tethering. I'm not using a cable, I am using wifi - this still counts as tethering AFIK?

My carrier - three.co.uk - are pretty good at detecting if you are using your phone data via a tethered connection. basically, they can tell if you have a computer attached to your phone and are using that for the download. Honestly, I have researched this quite a bit. They are very good at detecting this kind of traffic.

If I download stuff directly to my phone I have unlimited data - happy days!

If I use tether I am limited to 30 gig a month - bummer!

I was hoping to use my phone's unlimited data to download an install file, transfer it over to my PC and install from there - but it seems this is not going to be an option.

but thanks for the input - and if anyone knows of something I don't, please please please tell me!

First, I'd try to spoof the MAC address of your phone. You can use a router that has GPRS, EDGE etc capability and then spoof your phone MAC address. Or, you can do some NAT masquerading behind the router. Whichever works better..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

They may be detecting this by looking at the browser's useragent, you would need skills to modify a desktop browser to behave like a mobile one, I never tried that myself.

But I can only speculate. Sorry, I'm 99% PC oriented.

EDIT: While I was talking to some networking people I realized, you're not using browser on the PC, the DCS installer is using P2P connection.

They are most probably limiting P2P traffic. Which means you will never succeed, because they would detect that on the phone as well.

The unlimited you're talking about is probably only for movies and videos and general stuff which are not P2P.

But this is again all random speculation. But you can try clicking Cancel when it starts downloading, it will cancel P2P and start downloading over direct HTTP.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I do the same as the OP. Long story but I dont have the facility to have a BB connection at my home so I use my mobile as a tethered hotspot and hence pay for any download over 25gb (at a high cost!!)

So watching this thread with interest!!

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Is this needless pain the result of overzealous protection from pirates?

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

???

It's the result of DCS only being available through a web installer, and the poster having a low data cap.

The core game is free to play with no licensing requirements. How would that represent "Overzealous protection from pirates ?"

Cheers.