Sound - High pitch whine

RogueRunner

What causes that? Every time you put some g's on the aircraft it makes this whining sound. It's in the DCS sound set and clearly audible on cockpit youtube videos of the real Mustang. Anyone have an idea?

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

It's NOT the gunports alone. It may be part of it. Mostly it's the oil/coolant radiator/openings.

Have a look/listen to this one:

Xv5GhgKBexc

Notice the whine? Granted it's not as loud, but it is in level flight..

Now look at some pictures of this aircraft:

2475009058_7859f63bab.jpg

Notice the complete lack of gunports!

There has been a lot of discussion about this very topic. I don't buy the gunport story ;)

Why? It was confirmed by P-51 owners other than TFC too. Taping up the ports eliminated the whistle at High AoA. That is not to say the radiator duct or supercharger does not also play a part - but by far the loudest most audible whistle is from the Gunports.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

This is just one big fat mystery:megalol: everyone has an opinion on what causes it but nobody really knows. Maybe that adds to the coolness factor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

It would seem it is not the only cause - but it is the major one.

I'm no audiophile so help me out here: What are the chances that the 2 scoops make the exact same sound (to my ears in any event) as the gun ports? If I had to guess (and yes, I have spent many hours blowing glass coke-bottles), I'd say somewhere between slim and f-all :D

Sounds are worlds apart, unless speed somehow influences it. That said, I'm not sure I want to know.......the mystery certainly adds something. Maybe it's a secret best kept by the Mustang :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

There has been a lot of discussion about this very topic. I don't buy the gunport story ;)

I know Ferocious Frankies' cheif engineer and he's confirmed that it is gun port whistle at +G's. It's not the supercharger and not the ram air..... It's the Gunports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8Q3dxQ5KY

Edited by TimmyD

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90244_1.gif[/sIGPIC]Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on OCZ SSD, (AM3)AMD955BE x4 3.2GHz - GPU AMD6950 x2Gb - 16Gb Ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FerociousFrankie

I know Ferocious Frankies' cheif engineer and he's confirmed that it is gun port whistle at +G's. It's not the supercharger and not the ram air..... It's the Gunports.

Which is not very authoritative when you have regard to another Mustang making exactly the same sound without gun ports.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe Joe Kennedy over any of the armchair experts Viper. He knows his Mustangs. And the other argument is, when others have blocked or taped the gun ports up, NO WHINE!!!

You have to see a whistler fly before you believe it. But hey, I don't need to prove it, just ask Joe!!!

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90244_1.gif[/sIGPIC]Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on OCZ SSD, (AM3)AMD955BE x4 3.2GHz - GPU AMD6950 x2Gb - 16Gb Ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FerociousFrankie

So how do you explain the Reno Mustangs like Miss America, Strega, etc who have NO GUN PORTS OR EJECTOR CHUTES but still whine? ;)

how ed have implemented it is the answer no ? so what defines it in the sim etc etc ?

When there is high AOA on the airframe, you get the whine (pulling back hard on the stick or when you're slipping).

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

What armchair experts? Have you seen the video and pics? Did you not hear the whistle on the Mustang without gun ports? Surely you cannot ignore that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder if some of it might also come from the ram scoop under the prop spinner. It's small enough to produce a fairly high pitch. Fact of the matter is though, we would have to outfit a Mustang with multiple in-flight microphones to pin down where the noise is coming from.

- WH_Mouse

Xv5GhgKBexc

No gun ports, and what do you know?

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

What armchair experts? Have you seen the video and pics? Did you not hear the whistle on the Mustang without gun ports? Surely you cannot ignore that?

Who's ignoring it? I am however struggling to find any Level flyby with a whistle any where near as loud as a High AoA pass.

Nate

Why? It was confirmed by P-51 owners other than TFC too. Taping up the ports eliminated the whistle at High AoA. That is not to say the radiator duct or supercharger does not also play a part - but by far the loudest most audible whistle is from the Gunports.

Nate

We have P-51 owners that swear it is the cause, and some that swear it isn't, then

It would seem it is not the only cause - but it is the major one.

Nate

Who's ignoring it? I am however struggling to find any Level flyby with a whistle any where near as loud as a High AoA pass.

Nate

So if it's a high AoA it's gotta be, without exeption the gunports?

Where have I stated that?

EDIT:- The first post I said it - 1 sec - I am not saying the only cause is the Gunports.

However, The Whistle is definitely much much more pronounced at AoA - I don't think this is in dispute.

And also we have testimony from P-51 owners that Taping up the Ports eliminated the High AoA whistle.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

Where have I stated that?

Nate

Nate

Here.

However, The Whistle is definitely much much more pronounced at AoA - I don't think this is in dispute.

Aye.

and also we have testimony from P-51 owners that Taping up the Ports eliminated the High AoA whistle.

Nate

I can link to a testimony from another who says the complete oposite.

Who's ignoring it?

TimmyD as per the posts above.

As for the sound, I don't think much stock can be put into what we hear on Youtube videos insofar as the volume is concerned and the volume alone. Sound volume can be enhanced, one person might have better recording equipment than the other etc etc.

My point is the nature of the sound and not the volume: I need someone to explain to me how it is possible for both the gunports and the scoops to produce the exact same sound. If someone would furnish me with that explanation then I'll be happy :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]