Just getting into DCS

johnic

Looks great! A lot of fans

I wind up opening up my side hinged glass side panel when running it to keep the heat flowing out.

Is there a problem with the airflow for some reason? :( Would imagine that to be counterproductive with today's gaming rigs... usually there's tons of ventilation to provide enough airflow.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Computer built !!!

are the fans on the other side of the radiator? aren't you blowing hot air on to the memory and graphics card area?

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Is there a problem with the airflow for some reason? :( Would imagine that to be counterproductive with today's gaming rigs... usually there's tons of ventilation to provide enough airflow.

No problem with airflow, why not leave side open as not to capture too much heat

are the fans on the other side of the radiator? aren't you blowing hot air on to the memory and graphics card area?

Fans are on the other side of radiator and draw cool outside air over radiator which enter the case (not very hot at all) then get exhausted top and rear quickly. Case stay relatively cool

No offense but then it sounds like you could have two problems with the cooling/airflow. The standard approach to cooling is to draw in cool (room temperature) air with one set of fans and to exhaust the heat generated by the system with another set of fans at the opposite side of the case. Circulating the heat due to eg. uncontrolled airflow is counterproductive.

My case/motherboard temperature is barely above room temperature with a much more simple cooling system.

How much is your typical GPU & CPU temperature relative to room temperature when running under a full load?

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

No offense but then it sounds like you could have two problems with the cooling/airflow. The standard approach to cooling is to draw in cool (room temperature) air with one set of fans and to exhaust the heat generated by the system with another set of fans at the opposite side of the case. Circulating the heat due to eg. uncontrolled airflow is counterproductive.

My case/motherboard temperature is barely above room temperature with a much more simple cooling system.

How much is your typical GPU & CPU temperature relative to room temperature when running under a full load?

My GPU gets to about 68C at full load. It’s a 1080ti and from what I understand it runs at that temp under full load. I don’t see how your gpu can run slightly above room temp at full load.

When just running without a load my gpu is below room temp.

My cpu with a water cooler runs at 32c all the time.

I got 1 fan in on the front and 1 out on the side 2 out on top and 1 both side of radiator pushing air out. the idea is to get the air flowing with fresh air. never a good idea to open the case bcoz it disrupt the airflow. you want the negative pressure in the case so it always sucks in new air.

also just checked my gpu is at 69C more than 3 times room temperature under load

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

I got 1 fan in on the front and 1 out on the side 2 out on top and 1 both side of radiator pushing air out. the idea is to get the air flowing with fresh air. never a good idea to open the case bcoz it disrupt the airflow. you want the negative pressure in the case so it always sucks in new air.

also just checked my gpu is at 69C more than 3 times room temperature under load

Gotcha..makes sense about neg pressure...I’ll keep cab doors closed from now on

My GPU gets to about 68C at full load. It’s a 1080ti and from what I understand it runs at that temp under full load. I don’t see how your gpu can run slightly above room temp at full load.

It doesn't - mine seems to be about 65C with ~full load in DSC. But then again the GPU fan speed is only around 30%. Motherboard is 28C at idle/desktop load and without a thermometer it's a bit hard to measure while running high loads (don't have any soft that would do that in Windows).

The point is that given the temperatures, the interpretation is a little different if your room temperature is 16C than if it was 36C. Mine is 23-24C (pretty much standard in Finland).

When just running without a load my gpu is below room temp.

That's probably a measurement error ;) If your system had a liquid nitrogen setup or peltier elements or something exotic like that it would be expected :smilewink:

My cpu with a water cooler runs at 32c all the time.

Obviously something is doing its work in the system :D Under 50-60% load per core my CPU cores seem to peak just above 50C then fall back a bit. I could probably lower fan RPM a little bit - there's 5 case fans, bordering on laughable overkill. Intel CPUs should tolerate quite a bit more and I'm not planning on overclocking for a bit. Cooling performance could improve slightly if I bothered to clean the dust out of the intake grilles this year as well.

Edited by Varis