Need advice of becoming a good pilot

DivE1-7

Hello everybody,

as the title says, I am a flying snack in PVP:joystick:... I already spent 650hrs. on stick and nothing has really improved. We all know, we have amazing skilled pilots here, so I would like to know how you pilots started from bottom to top and what kept you the motivation? :pilotfly:

I mean... Damn!!! On Buddyspike or 104th I am getting killed every time! TACVIEW is of course useless on these servers. And AI in custom mission are not efficient as highly experienced pilots!

I am starting to think, is it worth it to practice against those eagles:helpsmilie:?!

Grab or buy a WWII prop plane and fly against other players in MP like Burning Skies for example. These planes teach you everything you need to know when it comes to aerial combat. Can't stress this enough mate. A few sessions WWII a week and you'll get so much better.

Grab or buy a WWII prop plane and fly against other players in MP like Burning Skies for example. These planes teach you everything you need to know when it comes to aerial combat. Can't stress this enough mate. A few sessions WWII a week and you'll get so much better.

Ok...sorry I didn't really make it clear. But I just get shoot down by missile in BVR. In actual close combat, I am pretty much decent.

You know where you said Tacview doesn't work?

Well 104th learning is the hardest and slowest way. You need that Tacview, or there is no learning for you.

What is the use of dying and never knowing why? You don't learn anything much, or it's much slower.

Of course, some examples would be good, you didn't specify BVR until the second post, so it's not easy to help.

I've learned the most from Tacview, especially having engagements under controlled conditions with friends where we were open about what we were doing.

Missile defence and capability are the most important lessons for PvP. There is some theory, and it's very similar to real world, but unfortunately in PvP the exact purpose is to exploit the games weaknesses, rather than to stick to doctrine, thus people exploit the radar limitations and doppler filtering and notching and rule of RNG with Chaff and flares. Surprise and Ambush and SA are king.

The F-15 vs Su27 arena is a slightly asymmetric battle of a slightly superior weapon versus surprise and EoS advantage. You didn't say what your prefered plane was either, although I assume a Su27 based on your eagles comment?

I'm not naturally good in PvP as I get my buzzes more from cooperative and varied exploration of real world tactics which don't apply well to player versus player for reasons of risk versus reward. But i do like PvP with friends as it's more fun to execute a nice bracket and drag with someone, rather than bouncing someone at low level.

Find servers with Tacview and or friends/partners to play with. Find out how they exploit your weaknesses and prepare a counter. it might be giving your position away or your flight profile, or your lack of visual checks, it's impossible to say, but your first step in bettering yourself is being able to understand what you did wrong and the only way to know that is to be able to review your performance from Tacview immediately and learn from it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

You know where you said Tacview doesn't work?

Well 104th learning is the hardest and slowest way. You need that Tacview, or there is no learning for you.

What is the use of dying and never knowing why? You don't learn anything much, or it's much slower.

Of course, some examples would be good, you didn't specify BVR until the second post, so it's not easy to help.

I've learned the most from Tacview, especially having engagements under controlled conditions with friends where we were open about what we were doing.

Missile defence and capability are the most important lessons for PvP. There is some theory, and it's very similar to real world, but unfortunately in PvP the exact purpose is to exploit the games weaknesses, rather than to stick to doctrine, thus people exploit the radar limitations and doppler filtering and notching and rule of RNG with Chaff and flares. Surprise and Ambush and SA are king.

The F-15 vs Su27 arena is a slightly asymmetric battle of a slightly superior weapon versus surprise and EoS advantage. You didn't say what your prefered plane was either, although I assume a Su27 based on your eagles comment?

I'm not naturally good in PvP as I get my buzzes more from cooperative and varied exploration of real world tactics which don't apply well to player versus player for reasons of risk versus reward. But i do like PvP with friends as it's more fun to execute a nice bracket and drag with someone, rather than bouncing someone at low level.

Find servers with Tacview and or friends/partners to play with. Find out how they exploit your weaknesses and prepare a counter. it might be giving your position away or your flight profile, or your lack of visual checks, it's impossible to say, but your first step in bettering yourself is being able to understand what you did wrong and the only way to know that is to be able to review your performance from Tacview immediately and learn from it.

They turned off the file codes, so players can't cheat (idk why) but which means I can't use tacview, due to the "prevention", even though I would like to but as I said it is useless before on the 104th or Buddyspike.

In other words I can't use tacview because the server owner turned it off...

I dont know how much time you have to dedicate, but finding a good wing/squadron is a great way to pick up good habits and learn from experienced guys. You said you were an f15 guy, i think theres a couple squadrons/groups that fly that specific airframe, check the squadron directory thread on the forums here and check them out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’m an A-10 guy myself, but drillin is absolutely right...

Find a dedicated group.

I’ve learned more about how to fly and fight the Hog in the 11 months I’ve been in the 476th than I learned on my own in three years of single-player and ad hoc multiplayer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Unless you want to learn radar, BVR tactics etc.

But, yes, learn the basics first. There are no shortcuts in DCS World. Get the hours in, and you may just become mediocre like me.

The F5 is a great trainer too. Cold war server and DDCS server only allow rear aspect missiles which is giving us longer dogfights. Don't be afraid, those IR missiles are easy to counter as long as you see them coming. The Mig 21, the Sabre, the Mig 15 are also pilots planes.

The worst thing is probably using a fly by wire aircraft exclusively. They are fun and the systems keep you busy for years but at the end they do all the flying for you.

Edited by River

The F5 is a great trainer too. Cold war server and DDCS server only allow rear aspect missiles which is giving us longer dogfights. Don't be afraid, those IR missiles are easy to counter as long as you see them coming. The Mig 21, the Sabre, the Mig 15 are also pilots planes.

The worst thing is probably using a fly by wire aircraft exclusively. They are fun and the systems keep you busy for years but at the end they do all the flying for you.

l think he is getting blown out of the sky by 120s - 77s - 27s and aim7s before he can actualy merge :) what he needs to learn is how to Dodge missiles and how to stay alive before he learns how to kill people. once you can stay alive then you can think about going after a bandit.

l agree with River, the early jets are great fun to fly and you can have some amazeing dogfights in them on servers that are dedicated for those planes.

Small tip.try and sneak up on your enemy. if you have a bandit on your tail than you got to know your strenght and his weeknes and vice versa. and play to your strenght and his weeknes. dont fight his fight if he looks like he knows what he is doing. so l sugest getting to know the planes.

Edited by 1Shot1KiLL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]