Target obscured by trees

Hey all

Just wondering if it's possible to see targets behind trees at all on the Shkval (FLIR or something?)?

I was playing a mission just now (the how to blow stuff up mission that someone made), had the labels on so I knew there was a tank where I was looking but I couldn't seem to see it on the Shkval monitor due to a tree or two being in the way.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

Other than that, relocating for a better view is advisable.

Good hunting!

I thought that might be the case, just wondered.

Not even sure the tank is there, to start with when I arrive "at the scene" I can only spot 2 of the 3 Leopard tanks placed by the mission creator, despite there being 3 labels.

I played the mission the other week in 1.5.8.x and found that 1 tank was labelled but not actually there (no trees in the way that time either), it was possibly buried under the terrain.

Will try again later and see if I can't see all 3 tanks on external views (I'm guessing I can cycle through enemies in external views?) if not and I can only see 2 I'll run the mission through the editor and see if I can fix it.

EDIT - all 3 Leopards appear to be there at the start of the mission so I guess I just have to approach a bit more "stealthily" and be in a position where they can't seek cover once I've fired my 1st Vikhr...

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

You can always try to fiddle with the Contrast and Brightness knobs, below the TV-Screen.

I often find I can make out targets when setting a higher contrast and maybe lower the brightness.

It can be hard to get a solid tracking lock, but if the target is stationary, it will still burn.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Not to take the thread off topic but it seems to me in 2.5 I'm having a much harder time locking onto targets than in the previous versions.

In the past I could set the tracking gate to absolute minimum size and one press would almost always lock the target regardless of range. Now it seems that sometimes I can't lock the target at all even at less than 3km.

Anyone else noticing this?

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

I was playing a mission just now (the how to blow stuff up mission that someone made), [...]

Is that "How to take off and blow stuff up"? That mission is ancient! It's quite possible that the tanks are now obscured by trees in 2.5 where they used to be out in the open in 1.5.

If no one gets to it before, I'll try and take a look later this week.

(The mission was made by ParaBellum, but I modified it once for 1.5 IIRC, so maybe I can tweak it a bit if necessary).

This may be more than just trees causing issues. The tracking and lock are performing inconsistently in 2.5, there is a thread in the bugs section you might want to look at.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

• 1 month later...
Is that "How to take off and blow stuff up"? That mission is ancient! It's quite possible that the tanks are now obscured by trees in 2.5 where they used to be out in the open in 1.5.

If no one gets to it before, I'll try and take a look later this week.

(The mission was made by ParaBellum, but I modified it once for 1.5 IIRC, so maybe I can tweak it a bit if necessary).

Yes it is that mission. I wouldn't worry about updating it though as it seems to be working fine. I've just flown it again and located all 3 Leopards, although due to the increased tree cover from 1.5.8 (where I couldn't have trees on max due to the fps hit) I've had to scoot to the right hand side of that area to look almost directly down the road, rather than hover over the buildings at waypoint 2. I do need to improve my flying though, I ended up drifting towards the soldiers at the 2nd target area and started taking small arms fire!!

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

Yes it is that mission. I wouldn't worry about updating it though as it seems to be working fine. [...]

Copy that. :)

I just flew it (I did say later in the week, right? Well I didn't specify which week ;)) and like you said, it works just fine, but the approach needs to be adjusted to account for the new trees.

And yeah, those soldiers probably account for at least 30% of all Ka-50s I've ever lost in battle. Not sure though if they're really good at their job, or if I was just a noob back then. Probably a bit of both. :D

I don't believe that the devs have adjusted the missions for the new engine... they are what they were prior to 2.5.It makes a huge difference in the dynamics of the game play in those missions.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

Even though the targets are obscured through the trees, they can still see and shoot through them. I was trying to sneak up on a BMP, but a T72 that was obscured from my view managed to see me through the trees, and totalled me with it's guns. This was on HAVOC server.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel