Did anyone ever sort out the thick/blurry text issue on HUD & Displays?

Aluminum Donkey

Anyone gotten a handle on this yet? The F/A-18C module is shaping up to be a real buttkicker, what with the A2A radar now working properly, and AIM-9X and AMRAAMs :)

I'm still getting the thick blurry text thing... The HUD is pretty nice, but the displays (DDIs) have "clunky" text on them. Zooming in fixes it, but I'm running a 32" 1440p display and would like everything nice and sharp at normal zoom where I see the whole cockpit--HUD and 2 DDIs :)

Any ideas?

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

You can find "thickness" and "fuzziness" parameters for the lines in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator\MDI_init.lua

It seems to vary by system. The default settings are nice and crisp on my 1080P 60" TV, some of my squad mates had to tweak things.

You can find "thickness" and "fuzziness" parameters for the lines in \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator\MDI_init.lua

It seems to vary by system. The default settings are nice and crisp on my 1080P 60" TV, some of my squad mates had to tweak things.

Yep, it really is extremely random, here is what helped me out.

dO0ncGx.jpg

0c527a434c024d036ac9cd66c1b5b59a.png

9AVK2Cu.png

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | 32gb DDR4 | GeForce 3070 | TM Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswinds V2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, it really is extremely random, here is what helped me out.

Awesome, thanks so much!!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

ShaderLineDrawAsWire change back to false...where is this line located and why would it need to be changed back to false if I never changed it in the first place?

It was the previous 'hack' to get the data on the exported MFD to be easier to read. If you didn't change the value to 'true', then it won't apply to you.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Fixed the blurry fonts in the MFD and the HUD following RightStuff's advice from this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3555460&postcount=117

I just edited "MDG_strokesDefs.lua" file and reduced the values in its first two lines:

C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

Before:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

After:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

Didn't change anything else. My monitor resolution is 3440x1440.

This was my F1 view before changing values:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192255&stc=1&d=1534586075

And this after changing them:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192256&stc=1&d=1534586075

Best regards,

Juan Andres "Susto"

Before.thumb.jpg.1ab4ec5ed312174df7ee879c134930a4.jpg

After.thumb.jpg.899ec62b16db100b30ececdca6375c75.jpg

Anyone have good settings for the Oculus Rift?

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I'm not sure if this is the same problem. I use my export lua for the A-10C and fly the F-18C it puts the MDIs in the correct place on the second monitor inside of the cougar controllers. The problem is the exported MDIs are really blurry. the A-10C exports are clean and flawless. so this must be a dcs glitch??

Anyone have good settings for the Oculus Rift?

I was just about to ask the same question. I think changing those settings are more dependent on how good your eyes are at long distance. It's going to be a very personnel thing for VR users.

I'm going to mess around with those figures and see what I can come up with because I have to wear glasses for driving etc.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem. I use my export lua for the A-10C and fly the F-18C it puts the MDIs in the correct place on the second monitor inside of the cougar controllers. The problem is the exported MDIs are really blurry. the A-10C exports are clean and flawless. so this must be a dcs glitch??

I have the same problem. I also created an export for the AMPCD and if memory holds (I don't use any of it yet hoping they'll fix the resolution issues) it had the same behavior. Now I have 3 cougar MFDs (4, actually) and 3 small monitors to use for the screens, all sitting in a nice pile waiting for it to all work right.

Does this work in VR?

IIRC it was worse with the value "true" in VR. I did that way back when the Hornet first rolled out.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

OK so it appears the Stroke files have been replaced with other files now.

as I don't have them but I have been playing with the lua files in the cockpit scripts folder..

(backing up first of cause)

I'm fairly happy with mine now..

Changed these lines in the folding files.. this is in the main Install folder of your DCS.. you will need to backup anything before you change it and remember this is only good till the next update.

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator\MDI_init.lua

shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.3

shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.1

shaderLineDrawAsWire = false

shaderLineUseSpecularPass = true

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\HUD_AVQ32\indicator\AVQ32_init.lua

shaderLineDrawAsWire = true

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\AMPCD\indicator\AMPCD_init.lua

D:18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\HUD_AVQ32\indicator\HUD_page_defs.lua

fontIntercharHUD_norm_120 = 1

fontIntercharHUD_mid_120 = 1

I have 1080ti and 38" monitor viewsonic 3840x1600 @80Hz and yes I still run V.sync get solid 80fps all day long..

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

im not sure why you would have to change to files if the fonts look crisp and clear on the cockpit. I mean if you lean forward or zoom out or in then the displays work without fault why would they change on a different location on the same monitor monitor you are only changing the location on the "single monitor configuration. The A-10C exports work no problem. Im just not a IT geek so to speak, i guess. would some one kind of explain a little more why this is the case.

Where exactly are you seeing and setting 'true' or 'false'?

Note Default unaltered setting is "FALSE" recommended value is also "FALSE".

OK so it appears the Stroke files have been replaced with other files now.

as I don't have them but I have been playing with the lua files in the cockpit scripts folder..

(backing up first of cause)

[...]

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator\MDI_init.lua

[...]

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ =Panther=

I only put the un-altered lines in as a way of marking it easier to find the changes I made..

I think the reason we are having to do this is because the simulated low res DDI's used I think that's the purpose of the fuzziness setting I've not tried it with 0.0 yet but its on my list of things to try out.. I guess after the next patch I"ll give that a go..

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

@ =Panther=

I only put the un-altered lines in as a way of marking it easier to find the changes I made..

I think the reason we are having to do this is because the simulated low res DDI's used I think that's the purpose of the fuzziness setting I've not tried it with 0.0 yet but its on my list of things to try out.. I guess after the next patch I"ll give that a go..

I’m aware. I was using your post to answer the previous post, regarding the false value question. When hornet was first released, that value was changed to “TRUE” but that is no longer a recommended fix.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]