Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Firmware updates just released seemed to improve performance quite a bit within DCS. A lot more testing to do still but great joy with the Rift S in week 3.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the relevant point is what settings are used.

When switching from the CV1 to the S I had to reduce PD from 1.7 with the CV1 to 1.4 with the S. Back to 1.5 now, looks much better, but also at some hefty performance cost.

I also own a O+ which is even more demanding than the S.

*I* (<- means ME, right? :) ) can't imagine that a 1070 would be even close to what I want in DCS with VR. My 1080ti is already struggling, to say the least.

But other guys may totally disagree, of course.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Firmware updates just released seemed to improve performance quite a bit within DCS. A lot more testing to do still but great joy with the Rift S in week 3.

Raven68 - which firmware version is giving you improved performance please?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Raven68 - which firmware version is giving you improved performance please?

Thanks

Parxuk, I apologize for not being able to give the version number. I had an update pushed to me last night, assuming it has to be a very recent update. I will try to follow up this evening after my work day. :)

EDIT: Software was updated to 1.39 for sure, not sure it there was a firmware update. It is at 1.8 currently.

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Thanks for some great replys! I think I will get one and try :) Is there any way to see the keyboard and mouse or is it totaly closed? I have a Warthog, but I still use the keyboard a little.

Asus ROG-STRIX Z390-F Gaming | I9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32GB | Palit Nvidia GTX 1070 | Samsung 840 evo 250GB | Toshiba-TR200 240GB

Unless you're using "old style" modules without clickable cockpits, you can use the VR controllers instead. I have no need for any keyboard in DCS (VR) nowadays.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Thanks for some great replys! I think I will get one and try :) Is there any way to see the keyboard and mouse or is it totaly closed? I have a Warthog, but I still use the keyboard a little.

VoiceAttack works very well , too . Simply say "gear down" or whatever .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

For those people who don't like the strap speakers and use ear buds instead (as I do), but think the faffing putting them in is a pain - just getting the full fighter pilot experience...:thumbup:

At time 6:54

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For those people who don't like the strap speakers and use ear buds instead (as I do), but think the faffing putting them in is a pain - just getting the full fighter pilot experience...:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Yep earbud guy here also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Unless you're using "old style" modules without clickable cockpits, you can use the VR controllers instead. I have no need for any keyboard in DCS (VR) nowadays.

I'm quite new to VR and dont really understand how you can use the hand controllers and the HOTAS simultaneously. When flying with one hand on joystick and the throttle in your other hand, do you just have the controllers in your lap? It must take practice to pick the controller up (making sure you have the correct handed one) and orientate it then click the correct switch? I havent tried it but I just cant get my head around using the controllers over a mouse.

Love to hear how you manage it?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Not very practical to use the VR hand controller.

I use the mouse to click within the cockpit.

In case you are not aware of it, there are options to program your hotas as mouse clicking function.

You will find this under UI layer I think within the controller page. I tried this once but was competing for space on my hotas so I went back to using the mouse to select and click stuff in the cockpit.

Hope this helps.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Actually it is VERY practical to use the hand controllers. I usually just need one, though.

In every module there are functions I don't need too often, so I don't map them on the HOTAS.

As suggested above VoiceAttack is an option for that.

But in the A-10 I use the handcontrollers for starting up and shutting down the aircraft.

Also during flight, operating the MFDs is much easier with the controllers.

I'm using a motion rig where I've installed a couple of holders for the hand controllers, so no issue placing them. But having one on the lap is no problem, either.

Not sure if its been announced here yet or not but the latest Public Test Channel (beta channel) headset firmware just released seems to have fixed the flashing white issue so many of us had been experiencing.. Or it did for me and others at least. I just played for two hours solid without a single occurrence of the flash. Good luck!

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Actually it is VERY practical to use the hand controllers. I usually just need one, though.

In every module there are functions I don't need too often, so I don't map them on the HOTAS.

As suggested above VoiceAttack is an option for that.

But in the A-10 I use the handcontrollers for starting up and shutting down the aircraft.

Also during flight, operating the MFDs is much easier with the controllers.

I'm using a motion rig where I've installed a couple of holders for the hand controllers, so no issue placing them. But having one on the lap is no problem, either.

Honestly can't say i've ever tried using the controllers , but i find that the combination of trackball cursor and head movements makes for very fast UFC inputs for example . Anywhere in the cockpit , i just get the cursor close , and use head movements for fine control .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not sure if its been announced here yet or not but the latest Public Test Channel (beta channel) headset firmware just released seems to have fixed the flashing white issue so many of us had been experiencing.. Or it did for me and others at least. I just played for two hours solid without a single occurrence of the flash. Good luck!

:thumbup:

Yes that is what I have been reading as well, will not have a chance to test mine till later today but I am feeling confident. With that fixed my Rift S will be golden.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can confirm white static flashes not fixed in latest update...as already said by Oculus, so no big loss really.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VoiceAttack works very well , too . Simply say "gear down" or whatever .

I will try that, It sound very practical for radio in singel

player, talking to groun crew, AWACS etc.

I just ordered the Rift S, looking forward to it :) But we don't have it in Sweden yet, so I have to wait about 2 weeks :music_whistling: for it.

Asus ROG-STRIX Z390-F Gaming | I9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32GB | Palit Nvidia GTX 1070 | Samsung 840 evo 250GB | Toshiba-TR200 240GB

Can confirm white static flashes not fixed in latest update...as already said by Oculus, so no big loss really.

What are you talking about? All I see is confirmations from people here and on reddit that this issue is now fixed with this latest beta firmware. It's certainly confirmed fixed on my Rift-S. Did you see something else posted somewhere?

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

What are you talking about? All I see is confirmations from people here and on reddit that this issue is now fixed with this latest beta firmware. It's certainly confirmed fixed on my Rift-S. Did you see something else posted somewhere?

Yeah same thing I am seeing, the firmware update with the latest update on the PTC appears to have fixed the white static flashes. I have not tried it in flight sims yet, should be able to this afternoon but it is sounding promising.

Don B

There is one thing i don't get when using VR, Do I switch from my TV to the Rift S, or is my gpu running both my 4k TV and Rift at the same time? I guess that would be a big loss of perfomance.

There is one thing i don't get when using VR, Do I switch from my TV to the Rift S, or is my gpu running both my 4k TV and Rift at the same time? I guess that would be a big loss of perfomance.

It's just a mirror of what you see in VR on your monitor so performance cost is minimal. The GPU is rendering the game for VR and then porting it over to your monitor.

There is some performance to be gained in certain games like DCS that allow you to custom set the resolution for the mirrored display. Lowering this resolution doesn't change the resolution inside VR, but what's displayed on your mirrored monitor is much smaller (because it's displaying at a new, smaller resolution), but it's usually not worth the effort as gains are typically small. YMMV of course.

Edited by Madmatt_BFC
clarification