Can we get some information on the new free map to be released in 2019?

MobiSev

There are a few clues out there. If you check out the "About Us" section of thebattlesim website and scroll down, you'll notice a bullet point that says something to effect of:

New theaters in development: Syria, Crimea, and Afghanistan

I'd say that reference is a pretty reliable source...

True, but i hope crimea will just be an free overhaul expansion for the standard caucasus map. No need for a seperate map covering the black sea as well. But i doubt ED would make such a secret out of the "secret" map and then would at the same time discover it by accident due to listing it up under theatres in developement. It's propably not listed there and hopefully covering something exotic that hasen't been covered too much in flightsim history.

Wags said in latest update he will post pics soon, wondering why so many secretism, no need for an ETA but at least telling us the area covered would be very nice

I guess it's nothing more than to keep ppl excited. Why not...

And besides that... Am i the only one who want's the complete caucasus map to be modeled? Airfields in turkey, crimea, ukraine, modeled bosporus etc? Same for Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuweit on the persian gulf map... Wouldn't it be nice to have the existing maps to be finished instead of leaving them "half baked" while getting new maps first?

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I guess it's nothing more than to keep ppl excited. Why not...

Cause we've been waiting for info on that map for a looong time, see where's the "problem"? We're waiting for info, not even for the map.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

As is said, i think they want to keep ppl excited or sth. It's not working for me wich is why i said why not. It was meant ironic, because i don't see the purpose...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

As is said, i think they want to keep ppl excited or sth. It's not working for me wich is why i said why not. It was meant ironic, because i don't see the purpose...

Woudln't be more exciting If they say already where is the map planned to be? Hype train will be at full steam, skinners will paint lplanes in proper schemes, people will investigate country AF...

From promo screen shots/videos, it seems it is going to be a WW2 map

I hope is not, I don't care too much for DCS WW2.

And besides that... Am i the only one who want's the complete caucasus map to be modeled? Airfields in turkey, crimea, ukraine, modeled bosporus etc? Same for Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuweit on the persian gulf map... Wouldn't it be nice to have the existing maps to be finished instead of leaving them "half baked" while getting new maps first?

I would love this but DCS engine cant support maps with that much objects and detail in them, not yet at least.

Still I would love a second PG map with the north populated, lets say Kuwait, Irak, and Saudi Arabia.

No, you're not the only one.

Flying over sand isn't much fun

:D

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

What promo screenshots/videos?

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Does anyone know enough to know why they don't allow world maps and custom maps like fsx?

Is it just a programming thing? seems to me it would add a lot of Customers that would want the locations of fsx with combat planes.

I'd love to plan missions in my local area, for a scenario but no way they'll ever do my area officially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

Does anyone know enough to know why they don't allow world maps and custom maps like fsx?

Is it just a programming thing? seems to me it would add a lot of Customers that would want the locations of fsx with combat planes.

I'd love to plan missions in my local area, for a scenario but no way they'll ever do my area officially.

I'll love this

Something like ORBX / Ortho with some great overlays / military bases / airfields, etc ...

To create / build / a map like this - Caucasus map size ( Ortho / ORBX ) with objects, overlays, military bases, airfields, would take 3-4 months. Let's say ...

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Yes, they have said many times anybody is welcome to apply for a third party and get the tools for map making or modules. Just you have to show something you did in beforehand, and they of course will decide when it's "finished" if your map or whatever you want to model is good enough quality wise for a paid thing.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Still I would love a second PG map with the north populated, lets say Kuwait, Irak, and Saudi Arabia.

Absolutely, but i realy doubt we get an updated/second PG map in the nearby future. They'll propably cover different places in the world first. And to be honest, a (free?) WW2 map would make sense. You get the SU-25T and the TF-51 for free, as well as a map only fitting for the Suchoi. I don't like the WW2 stuff, but i have to admit that the prop aviators are realy short of content. We cold war/modern air combat pilots have 3 maps to choose with one beeing for free, they only have one they have to pay for and it's not a very big one. Would also be a tool to let WW2 fans try out DCS for free in an realistic envroinment and will propably make more of them try out DCS. Just saying...

Woudln't be more exciting If they say already where is the map planned to be? Hype train will be at full steam, skinners will paint lplanes in proper schemes, people will investigate country AF....

True, i'm with you. But unfortunately ED seems to think different...

Flying over sand isn't much fun

:D

That is so true!

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it will be a WW2 map doubling as a modern map. There are some places that can act as such, from North Africa (aka Libyan desert), Burma, or the Philippines.

Am i the only one who want's the complete caucasus map to be modeled? Airfields in turkey, crimea, ukraine, modeled bosporus etc?

Crimea, Ukraine and Bosporus in a map of the Caucasus area makes just about as much sense as including Finland in a map of the Alps... What you are asking for is a black sea map.

Crimea, Ukraine and Bosporus in a map of the Caucasus area makes just about as much sense as including Finland in a map of the Alps... What you are asking for is a black sea map.

Well, maybe because we have a black sea map that is only called caucasus. I don't know, when i open mission editor i can see the whole black sea with surrounding coastlines, but only caucasus region is modeled with objects. They also call it Persian Gulf instead of what it realy is (and was called in the beginning): Strait of Hormus.

It makes very much sense to ask for a map that has every area modeled i can see in the mission editor on that map. What doesen't make sense is relating the grade of detail to the name of the map, instead of the displayed terrain.

Edited by VpR81

They said the new free map will be applicable to both WW2 and modern, like Caucasus is with the Kuban area

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

They said the new free map will be applicable to both WW2 and modern, like Caucasus is with the Kuban area

Yeah, read that some time ago, but there are tons of places that can fit the bill, it was called World War for something.

Yes, they have said many times anybody is welcome to apply for a third party and get the tools for map making or modules. Just you have to show something you did in beforehand, and they of course will decide when it's "finished" if your map or whatever you want to model is good enough quality wise for a paid thing.

S!

It is little difficult, and eventually frustrating to try to show them the new map idea when you don't have the SDK for the map creation.

As you would like to show some actual work for the smaller area like example a 30 x 30 km

area first before you get to apply to get to do a larger maps, but if you are expected to make a sample on some other projects that you can't use then for the actual DCS map, it is just frustrating time spent for nothing.

This is one of these things why I think that there should be a available SDK "lite" that allows you to create the maps in already correct form and manner, so you can just continue your work if you are accepted to do so.

Like it could be at least such that you can't export the map out of the SDK but you can test fly it in your specific hardware ID locked installation (so you can't share it to anyone else) except send it to for ED.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Also you need to know 3d, object design instead os just map making, when you could very well use already made objects (specialy just changing the liverie) to populate your new map, after all, its what they do. Not every map need special custom made landmarks to be accurate.

S!

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. So they want to monetize it and control whether it's good enough? That may be why that group of people haven't done it.

For my area, I'd be happy with the basic land/water features plus terrain...but sounds like that won't suit them?

I wonder how hard it would be. Do you have any links to further information please?

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

The map making would be super fast compared to what there is now if the SDK is actually made for the map generation.

Meaning, you get the height map just by importing the existing standard open data to it, that you can get from multiple sources to present any part of the real world.

Then you should be able generate the base textures for various altitudes and layers and then just apply those (generally done for the height map). And that you can literally paint all over the map by just drawing around with various size brushes the texture elements you want.

You get most general terrain elements like rivers, lakes, fields, forests etc as well from public sources, easy to import as they literally are just like roads.

Roads you get from, again, public sources in standard format, you just import the road grip map and you have all them laid on the map on the height map.

You as well get almost all the buildings locations as well from public sources, again in standard form.

What really requires the resources to set are the airports, harbors, bridges, railway stations and buildings 3D models. If you use some general 3D buildings, you can easily randomize them all across the map, but with good SDK you can easily set so that based the building area, the building size is determined, so small area and small building, large area and larger/taller building. So you get general buildings set there. But this is time consuming if you try to do something like a Las Vegas etc where you need to model the buildings and then place them on the correct places etc.

It is far more difficult to create a highly detailed and real world location than it is a more random location (like a small town middle of nowhere), what brings the main question for the players in relation to maps, how accurate the map should be to the real world?

Of course no one would want a fantasy world like a world of Avatar, or some completely randomly generated archipelago that is from sci-fi game from another earth kind planet.

But if you have main roads, main cities and main towns in place, and you have the DCS level terrain height resolution etc, does it matter if it doesn't have every single road exactly right, every building exactly right, every light pole, bridge etc exactly right? Wouldn't the general DCS Caucasus level be enough?

But if one needs to use even 3Ds Max for the mapping as the SDK doesn't have own very powerful mapping tools (similar to games like Cities: Skyline) then ED should seriously fix that, if they are ever going to come up with the "Whole World" mapping. As you can't build even large scale areas of the maps by placing light poles one by one or drawing roads across the map. You need heavily utilizing automation using public data there is. And that is what is currently the upcoming Flight Simulator 2020 benefit, Nokia started years after Google to gather the navigation data and mapping the world with 3D scanners etc. And Microsoft bought that Nokia Here map technologies and data. Apple went other route, they bought the Saab C3 company that had high resolution laser scanning technology to map the terrain for military maps etc. Google uses public companies satellites data by paying for it, similar is now doing Microsoft etc (same sources etc) and Apple flies around the globe with their aircrafts to increase resolution in populated areas.

Even in early 2000 there were map SDK's that allowed to do those things I listed, so surely the ED own map SDK should be very powerful and heavily automated and accepting lots of all kind various data imported etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, read that some time ago, but there are tons of places that can fit the bill, it was called World War for something.

Wags also said somewhere recently that the map fits the current line-up of ED's WW2 planes, so it's probably Europe. His previous hints were that it was ideal for multiplayer and not resource intensive (so sounds like lots of water). My current best guesses are something like these (each square is roughly the same size as Caucasus/Persian Gulf):

attachment.php?attachmentid=220582&stc=1&d=1572947763

The exact map shape might be different, but I think that's probably the best mix-up of European conflict areas with lots of water that fit both modern and WW2-era scenarios.

850346864_Screenshot2019-11-05at17_51_37.thumb.png.ee83bc258a6f938afde95180d64d38c1.png