Damage Model Update - 10/12 - Page 123 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #1221
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingme View Post
There should be NO new DM effects out, at least not yet.. There IS code but it's disabled, that's a different matter. Other effects are just placebo on your part.

There WAS something regarding the DM reported on the DCS 2.5.6.49314 Open Beta DCS World logs from 05/20, but it was removed the day after by Kate:

"Damage model. Set up master compass damage for German aircraft"

I don't know what you experienced but certainly not the new DM.
Some effects have already been merged from the New DM, on purpose, what I apologized for was the weird effects that resulted from some of them. Because there are new aspects being added that have never been experienced in DCS, it can cause odd issues vs the old DM. Can you now drop this issue and move on, please.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #1222
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Its been a ground-up from scratch completely new and dynamic damage system, this is always the double edge sword we live on, do we talk about it 3 years ago and show we are doing something, or wait till it's about to be released. Either approach has its fans.
Look at the open source side.

There are open discussion for almost everything. Only the very specific security related gets non-disclosed information.

But otherwise developers discuss features openly, there are fans who really want things and needs them. Yet, people don't get angry usually as development is open, people get to read developers communication, problems, solutions etc. The overall development is public. And yet it can take years to get small or major features.

The difference is that those who wait something, can search and follow progress and find out the situation without needing to raise question "when" or "how". Because they can read by themselves what is situation and understands.

We can look some studios here that doesn't communicate like at all in official forum. Something that ED should enforce as rule that ED forum should be priority one channel for news, videos, reports etc, and then come own sites, forums, social media etc.

I personally love to see those WW2 aircrafts damage modeling images, seeing the complexity of the modem etc. It is similar as reading a blow up chart of complex structures etc.
And waiting to see how much does combat change when WW2 units finally receives new DM, as it helps to wait ground units damage modeling.
so customers are out of news coverage now.

Then some doesn't inform anything than just say "we are working it" and it is years without progress. So who wouldn't get frustrated for not hearing any progress?

Most people understands situations when problems appears. And it is better than silence.
So when it is told to customers "we are delayed because X, Y and Z, here are our solution options now...." It is easier to get allowances for delays than trying to be quiet or say "all is OK".

Bad news sell more than good news. But every small tiny progress is a step toward progress and happiness.

We have huge amount of people who like to watch tv or read magazines about people making out and cheating each others on "isolated island", literally just wasting time for nothing.
And here we are discussing about progress for our hobby, trying to get something reported from developers like once a week or even monthly good nice collection of news.

Like if it would be "today we started working a ZSU-23-4 damage modeling, next week is T-55 family...", it would be fancy thing to follow for many that what units are under the work.

And it doesn't even need to be progress reports, if it is about discussions about the work that is being done and how. Like interviews with Nick and Waggs about future etc and their opinions and so on.

Last edited by Fri13; 05-25-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #1223
Shahdoh

But there ARE new DM effects out. whether they are SUPPOSED to be or not is another matter altogether.

If you have been with DCS any amount of time, you KNOW that the update log does not include EVERYTHING. You also would know that especially on the open beta server, that things slip through. The sim is an extremely complex bit of code. As they work on new stuff, some of it is bound to slip through, intentionally or not.

By being on the Open beta server, you have agreed to these conditions and should report bugs, but not whine about them and come up with conspiracy theories as to why things are they way they are. Provide as much detail as possible and without speculation and leave it at that.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #1224
NineLine
Community Manager

I would look at when the DM started and how communication has changed over that period of time, we have really started developing a better communication scheme, I have been allowed to share things in the past were 100% off limits to me, and the team itself is warming up to the idea that silence is the only way.

It can still be a struggle, but we are getting better. Where we were 3 years ago is much different than today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Look at the open source side.

There are open discussion for almost everything. Only the very specific security related gets non-disclosed information.

But otherwise developers discuss features openly, there are fans who really want things and needs them. Yet, people don't get angry usually as development is open, people get to read developers communication, problems, solutions etc. The overall development is public. And yet it can take years to get small or major features.

The difference is that those who wait something, can search and follow progress and find out the situation without needing to raise question "when" or "how". Because they can read by themselves what is situation and understands.

We can look some studios here that doesn't communicate like at all in official forum. Something that ED should enforce as rule that ED forum should be priority one channel for news, videos, reports etc, and then come own sites, forums, social media etc.
so customers are out of news coverage now.

Then some doesn't inform anything than just say "we are working it" and it is years without progress. So who wouldn't get frustrated for not hearing any progress?

Most people understands situations when problems appears. And it is better than silence.
So when it is told to customers "we are delayed because X, Y and Z, here are our solution options now...." It is easier to get allowances for delays than trying to be quiet or say "all is OK".

Bad news sell more than good news. But every small tiny progress is a step toward progress and happiness.

We have huge amount of people who like to watch tv or read magazines about people making out and cheating each others on "isolated island", literally just wasting time for nothing.
And here we are discussing about progress for our hobby, trying to get something reported from developers like once a week or even monthly good nice collection of news.

Like if it would be "today we started working a ZSU-23-4 damage modeling, next week is T-55 family...", it would be fancy thing to follow for many that what units are under the work.

And it doesn't even need to be progress reports, if it is about discussions about the work that is being done and how. Like interviews with Nick and Waggs about future etc and their opinions and so on.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #1225
amazingme

Quote:
Some effects have already been merged from the New DM, on purpose, what I apologized for was the weird effects that resulted from some of them. Because there are new aspects being added that have never been experienced in DCS, it can cause odd issues vs the old DM. Can you now drop this issue and move on, please.
Thanks for clarifications. But you should add those changes to the logs and the issues to the known bugs. It will make all of our lives much, much easier and it will leave speculations aside. Will you at least consider it, please.. Thanks.
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #1226
Krupi

+1 as a lurker here for the last few years I appreciate the change in communication.

I would like a bit more regarding the world war 2 stuff but I am happy to wait.

Project IX Cockpit
Krupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #1227
SmirkingGerbil

Quote:
I would look at when the DM started and how communication has changed over that period of time, we have really started developing a better communication scheme, I have been allowed to share things in the past were 100% off limits to me, and the team itself is warming up to the idea that silence is the only way.

It can still be a struggle, but we are getting better. Where we were 3 years ago is much different than today.

All good, appreciate the pace, openness and explanations. You are in a tough spot managing expectations on both sides. From my perspective, a bang up job, and glad we have you working for all sides of these projects.