DCS: Me 262 Discussion - Page 41 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #401
amazingme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo13 View Post
-well, first production Meteors were finished some time before Me-262
- getting brand new doesn't mean that is is not still more likely to fail. Besides i remember stories about those returning with damaged plane even not by any meaning by their fault to be sent back to propeller planes - for damaging precious weapon.
Well I have read similar claims about those german ones. Cramped, noisy and so on.
When Einstein said: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
he had not heard about flamewars about WW2 equipment

Anyway - there is easy solution: me-262 jockeys every few flight would have to ask ground control after landing to go and do a factory repair of their turbines. With 1-2 day waiting period
I can even imagine how those late-period german virtual pilots before every flight will toss dices to find out, how much fuel the got, how much ammo, which systems work and what is actual performance of their bird ...
When you quote someone to appear more intelligent than you actually are, you have to know the whole context from which that quotation is taken from. "As Albert Einstein once said to me: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.” But what is much more widespread than the actual stupidity is the playing stupid, turning off your ear, not listening, not seeing." Gestalt Therapy Verbatim by Frederick S. Perls. So, as you can see, you fall into your own trap, as you clearly cannot understand what ergonomics is and what it implies.
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #402
DefaultFace

Actually I remember an interview with a 262 pilot where he spoke about how he was amazed at the maintenance infrastructure they had setup for the Jumo Engines. Of course they were well aware of the low MTBI for the engines so a number of engines were distributed all over the country, in workshops, garages etc. Apparently they weren't so difficult to work on and most mechanics, or repairmen could get the job done. Anyway this pilot told a story about needing an engine changed so he talked to the maintenance people, and they looked in some sort of primitive database system to see where the nearest one was and then hopped in a truck to go get one from some village, brought it back and swapped it out.

http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/11...-czypionka.htm

Edit: engine change story at about 1:14, talks about distributing engines at about 1 hour.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Last edited by DefaultFace; 05-25-2020 at 02:33 PM.
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #403
mungo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingme View Post
When you quote someone to appear more intelligent than you actually are, you have to know the whole context from which that quotation is taken from. "As Albert Einstein once said to me: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.” But what is much more widespread than the actual stupidity is the playing stupid, turning off your ear, not listening, not seeing." Gestalt Therapy Verbatim by Frederick S. Perls. So, as you can see, you fall into your own trap, as you clearly cannot understand what ergonomics is and what it implies.
Spoiler:
ROFL. When you try to judge the intelligence, please: It is good to start by not being faster in writing than reading and understanding. I am not sure whether you are at least aware, that many quotes became part of the cultural part of the language - that means they are not inevitably still complete and within original context. I am now pretty sure that you even missed the fact that this quote was used as a sort of a joke - and you missed the meaning. Sorry, next time I will add explanation.

As well as I am pretty sure that when it comes to ergonomics, working space, outside view, dead angles, noise, vibrations and other adverse effects are part of the problem and its solution.
Eric Brown is not the god almighty but it doesn't seem that he universally praised german cockpits. Btw. - I've made a quick look at him and Me-262 - he cites small cockpit to make it demanding job to perform some procedures i.e during starting of the engines.
mungo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #404
MrExplosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultFace View Post
Actually I remember an interview with a 262 pilot where he spoke about how he was amazed at the maintenance infrastructure they had setup for the Jumo Engines. Of course they were well aware of the low MTBI for the engines so a number of engines were distributed all over the country, in workshops, garages etc. Apparently they weren't so difficult to work on and most mechanics, or repairmen could get the job done. Anyway this pilot told a story about needing an engine changed so he talked to the maintenance people, and they looked in some sort of primitive database system to see where the nearest one was and then hopped in a truck to go get one from some village, brought it back and swapped it out.

http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/11...-czypionka.htm

Edit: engine change story at about 1:14, talks about distributing engines at about 1 hour.
Wow, great interview. Thanks for sharing

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,
Der Jägerei ein Horrido!
MrExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #405
MrExplosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo13 View Post
-well, first production Meteors were finished some time before Me-262
No. And also Me-262 was more advanced in comparison and saw way more service during WW2.

First flight
Me-262: 18. July 1942
Meteor: 5. March 1943

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,
Der Jägerei ein Horrido!
MrExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote