Need help with starting

Ragnar65

Guys,

I´m desperetaly trying to get the Anton airborne. Standing on the runway, stick back to lock the tailwheel, trim is neutral. Everything works fin until i lift in the air. Whatever I do, the plane drifts to the left and crashes. Can´t figure what I am doing wrong. Maybe anyone of you can help? See enclosed trackfile.

Thanks alot!

FW-190 Start.trk

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Full right rudder at the start of takeoff.

Slowly center stick and let go of the rudder at about 100 - 120 kph.

If you leave stick back she takes off too early. Once you centered the stick you can basically wait for her to take off by herself.

Edited by MrExplosion

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

My guess is that your AoA became too high and your left wing stalls. I must have crashed the Fw 190 dozens of times because of this when I was learning to take off correctly. It is important to center the stick at 120 kph. At that speed ruder authority is sufficient to keep the plane straight and it is not longer required to lock the tail wheel.

I've found this video to be very helpful. It is explained at about the 18:00 minute mark.

Thanks guys, guess that´s exactly what happens... As I´m used to fly jets, it´s pretty more demanding getting that Warbird into the air... ;-)

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Thanks guys, guess that´s exactly what happens... As I´m used to fly jets, it´s pretty more demanding getting that Warbird into the air... ;-)

Alwayes, take off with full power, especially in Fw 190. This plane with heavy wing loading needs a lot of power for confident take off. And don't retard power too early, At alt 300 m you can start thinking about reducing power.

Like video above, keep take off attitude until get some height, FW 190 likes to sink quite significantly.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is that your AoA became too high and your left wing stalls. I must have crashed the Fw 190 dozens of times because of this when I was learning to take off correctly. It is important to center the stick at 120 kph. At that speed ruder authority is sufficient to keep the plane straight and it is not longer required to lock the tail wheel.

I've found this video to be very helpful. It is explained at about the 18:00 minute mark.

That is an excellent video for any taildragger. Thank you.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1