Dogfight maneuvers and gunnery guides?

Bucic

I think I've read some good pieces on the subjects on SIMHQ, but I can't seem to find it. I don't think it was this one Air To Air Gunnery Revisited – Guns, Gunsights, and Convergence And IIRC it got this linked inside.

On the maneuvers - I'm completely out of ideas. I'm sure the guide explained the corner speed and such. Maybe it was not on SimHQ...

Anyway, please post a link if you know of any websites/forum posts that gather such guides.

try this then:

Shaw: Fighter combat. Publisher is Naval institute Press

On a lighter note but pretty much explaining the same:

Air combat manoevres The technique and history of air fighting for flight simulation

By J. Steve Thompson with Peter C. Smith.

Of note; this book was written by somebody who loved Il2 and maybe played it a little too much.

• Like 1

Thanks but I rather meant some shorter guides for simmers.

Short guide to football: Place ball at feet and kick. Do you think that covers it? That's why there's no short guides to air combat. Even Shaw doesn't claim to cover every eventuality. Worth reading if you can find a copy, good for insomnia:) Otherwise, don't let them get behind you and if they do get out of the way.

The only short guide that I know as distances are indicated at the start of each fragment.

Great guide Sharpe! thanks for posting it...just look at #6 & 10 checking their closing speed, great control

Edited by GT 5.0

Short guide to football: Place ball at feet and kick. Do you think that covers it? That's why there's no short guides to air combat. Even Shaw doesn't claim to cover every eventuality. Worth reading if you can find a copy, good for insomnia:) Otherwise, don't let them get behind you and if they do get out of the way.

+1!

I suppose you could also look through Ebay and Amazon and your second hand book store and thrift shops. If you're lucky you're going to find some works where combat reports or evaluations from places like the Air Fighting Development Unit were put on paper.

I am able to explain min radius and corner speeds and their significance to dogfighting in 4 short sentences or so. Find me a book on dogfighting that does that. So, let's not go there.

I just ordered this one after somebody else recommended it. Hopefully useful for somebody who knows how to fly, but not how to fight.

Please post a quick review or even an initial impression when you get it.

EDIT

Ah, just recalled the A2A's BoB2 manual may be a good read!

Edited by Bucic

I just ordered this one after somebody else recommended it. Hopefully useful for somebody who knows how to fly, but not how to fight.

Just one thing. The author was a naval aviator. Some of the wording used is particular to the US Navy. (division being a flight in this case) Other then that I wish you happy reading.

It's a very good, but also very dry book. It presents you with lots of ideas and scenarios, and isn't written like an instruction book - it's not a self-paced guide to BFM ... it explains BFM instead, but it leaves some things out ( ... all guides leave something out, BTW :) ). For all that, it's one of the better books on the subject.

BFM is difficult enough with an instructor, and extra difficult if you're learning it on your own and especially bad if you're learning bad habits due to misunderstanding or because things aren't exciting enough.

My advice to you: Start by learning formation flying ...

- Stable Fingertip w/wingwork exercises

- Stable fighting w/extended trail exercises

- Fingertip rejoins

These are your bare minimums. These, by the way, are BFM ... they just happen far more slowly than actual BFM, and thus are extremely valuable in teaching you the tools of the trade :)

Importantly, you need to find someone who knows how to run those exercises for them to do their job.

For those of you who thought formation flying was for show, transit or otherwise not important ... :music_whistling::music_whistling::D

Please post a quick review or even an initial impression when you get it.

EDIT

Ah, just recalled the A2A's BoB2 manual may be a good read!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not really like the Shaw book (which the writer recommends anyway), but still a very good read for those interested in WWII virtual air combat...

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf

A winner so far! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd post the link to where you can find Shaw's book for purchase, though I'm sure it is available elsewhere as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382487432&sr=8-1&keywords=shaw+fighter+combat

I picked up a copy but unfortunately have been pretty swamped lately so I've only been able to get a couple chapters in, but it is worth it so far. Think it would be a good idea for any flight simmer to read it.

Also Kylander's In Pursuit book has a published version if anyone is interested in a hard copy, assuming you don't feel like printing the PDF on the home printer.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Pursuit-Pilots-Online-Combat/dp/9197607703/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Edited by TooTall

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting reads here to download

www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/Patpub.htm

Not all relevant but quite a few are for basic training in various aspects of military flying. It's Navy and also modern but some stuff still applies. Need to dig around a bit to find things though

Also here but even more digging as it's combined arms but lots of interesting things across a wide range of years from WW1 and earlier to current

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org