Current “best” VR headsets?

ESzczesniak

I have and Oculus Rift and love VR, but also know technology is moving one. The resolution is the major issue I have, but getting rid of the screen door effect would be a nice plus. I only use VR for flight sims, so I only need a set that tracks head movement well and has a nice picture. What I’d really like to improve (in order):

1. Visibility of the “ball”. With both the Hornet and the Tomcat now out, these are going to occupy almost all my flight time. I’ll add a some Warthog and Harrier time, but love carrier flying. It’s not until about 0.4 NM that I feel I can get much of a real read on the ball and have to substitute ICLS needles, even in case I.

2. Instrument readability. Analog instruments are a bit easier, but MFD menus for more technical flying like AG target pods, ordinance release parameters, etc are very challenging. When I do more “technical” flying such as precision AG attack, I usually fly outside of VR.

3. A2A target spotting. While it would amazing, this seems the most limited and I’m willing to accept that. I’d love to spot targets from greater differences and get a better sense of their aspect, but I know this will be a challenge for a while.

All three are really resolution issues. It seems there are two to three possible viable upgrades.

1. The Pimax 5k dfimitely improves resolution and has decent reviews, but hasn’t seemed to win people over. It see,s it’s heavy and maybe not the best tracking.

2. Samsung Odyssey+. If I remember the specs, it’s about a 40% increase in resolution (although it’s worded very oddly as “combine resolution per eye”) and people really do seem to like it.

3. Upcoming Occulus Rift S. I love how reliable and simple the first generation Rift has been. However, it’s a relatively small 20% increase in resolution. I’m not sure how big an impact that really makes.

So, with all of that said, does anyone have experience with any of these other headsets and could comment on how much they help improve (or how well they work) for these three points I’m hoping to improve? I think I’m liking what is being said about the Odyssey+, but would love to hear thoughts. I was a bit let down the Rift S resolution isn’t going to be more akin to the Odyssey.

With Ed stating a 50% increase in VR performance it will be a wide open topic. Pimax with the FOV is incredible and will really benefit from the ED programming update. The O+ is a great headset but its hard to get used too. The next gen Rift is on its way. I agree with the previous poster, its a wait game for a couple months.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yeah , i usually don't advise waiting , as there is always something new on the horizon , but in this case , with three new headsets online in the next two months , it really is the thing to do . Regarding the Rift S , i think the effective resolution will be better than 20% , due to the subpixel arrangement , but we'll see soon .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I upgraded from the Rift to my O+. I find the visuals are a big improvement over the Rift, but still not perfect. I’ll probably move up to an Index or Reverb once I start seeing feedback on how they perform in DCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC @ 4.2GHz) | MSI B450 Tomahawk | 32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 | MSI Duke RTX 2080ti | 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Track IR 5 | HP Reverb | TM Warthog HOTAS (with Delta Sim Slew Mod) | TM F/A 18 Stick | TM TPR Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | Jetseat FSE | Windows 10 Pro

DCS Modules: CA | FC3 | F-86 | UH-1 | Spitfire | P-51D | BF 109K-4 | F-5E | F-14 | F/A-18C | Normandy | Nevada | Persian Gulf

I've owned them all too, several of each in fact - Vives/Rifts/Vive2.0/Odyssey/Odyssey+/Pimax5k. Only one Pimax5k though so far.

If $ is no object then the best right now IMO is the Pimax5k, agree with the above post. If $ is in the equation, then the Odyssey+ which can be found for $250 on sale is tied with the Pimax5k in terms of bang/$, again IMO. The Samsung is a bit easier to get going, you don't need to purchase a separate base station off of Ebay/whatever, and it's a bit lighter and less cumbersome.

Again though, if performance is what you're after, and you want the best current headset available that will be playable with DCS, the Pimax5k is it IMO. In 30 days it'll probably change to the Reverb, depending on price it could also be the best bang/$.

The Odyssey+ really is a great deal at $250 though, I spent almost double that here in Canada to be a very early adopter of the Rift, and more than triple that for the first Vives that came out. The first time I used the Rift/Vive it was such a "wow" factor, and the Odyssey+ compared to the Rift blows it out of the water IMO, in terms of clarity and SDE. You can't go wrong with the Odyssey+, and it's also easier to acquire right now than the Pimax. Anyone in the market who isn't waiting to see how the new HMDs play out is nuts though.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Coming soon

Rift S : mediocre upgrade over the original rift resolution wise 1280x1440/eye, 110 ish FOV. Inside out tracking

HP Reverb: Major upgrade to clarity compared to Rift 2160x2160/eye, will ship end of this month. 114 degree FOV. Probably will be the clearest/high res headset. Inside out tracking

Valve Index: Unknown resolution wise. ~135 deg fov Jun15th ship date. Base station tracking and inside out?

Vive Cosmos: Likely similar res wise to HP reverb but no actual announcement on actual specs. Inside out tracking.

----

If you want to buy today, I'd look at Oddesey plus or Pimax. But the HP will smoke either one in terms of clarity.

Personally I'm probably going with the HP.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Best for DCS? None.

Wait until they switch to Vulkan and hope that this brings better performance. But I doubt this will happen this year. Maaaaaaybe next year, who knows? ED are basically silent about an esrimated release.

I gave up DCS VR today due the fact that it went from VR joy to a kick in your VR face.

Edited by TheSauvaaage

I would not buy today, I would wait the 30 days and seriously look at the Reverb or the Valve Index.

Unless of course you just have to have it today - in that case I would look at the Odyssey. You won't get a Pimax until probably any quicker than waiting on Valve Index or HP Reverb.

I myself just do not care that much for Pimax, but that is just me.

I built this new rig just for a next gen VR product, and way it looks right now I will likely go with the new Valve Index.

I will say though, I am still enjoying the heck out of my Rift CV1 and use it daily for the most part.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank you all! I didn't know about the Valve or HP Reverb. I was unimpressed with the Rift S specs, so didn't find that to be worth waiting for. The HP Reverb looks good by the numbers and hopefully doesn't tax FPS too much. I'm fortunate to have a 2080Ti and 8086k at 5.1 GHz, so if anything can run it, this should.

HP Reverb easily. It will have ~twice the clarity of the next best headset. I don't have high hopes for the Index. The specs page listed DP 1.2, which if true means the headset is low resolution.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

HP Reverb easily. It will have ~twice the clarity of the next best headset.

we don’t know that.

we don’t know how much blurring they are doing to get rid of SDE and we don’t know the image quality.

twice as clear is a bit of a stretch.

we don’t know that.

we don’t know how much blurring they are doing to get rid of SDE and we don’t know the image quality.

twice as clear is a bit of a stretch.

lol at people that think "blurring" make an image look better. Why don't they smear petroleum jelly on a high resolution display to make it look better?

All that matters is high resolution and that it's RGB stripe instead of garbage fake pentile-type pixels.

Low resolution, blurring, god-rays, pentile are all the enemies of a convincing VR world.

Edited by Callsign.Vega

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I upgraded from the Rift to my O+. I find the visuals are a big improvement over the Rift, but still not perfect. I’ll probably move up to an Index or Reverb once I start seeing feedback on how they perform in DCS.

+1 This is My Plan also

I have and Oculus Rift and love VR, but also know technology is moving one. The resolution is the major issue I have, but getting rid of the screen door effect would be a nice plus. I only use VR for flight sims, so I only need a set that tracks head movement well and has a nice picture. What I’d really like to improve (in order):

1. Visibility of the “ball”. With both the Hornet and the Tomcat now out, these are going to occupy almost all my flight time. I’ll add a some Warthog and Harrier time, but love carrier flying. It’s not until about 0.4 NM that I feel I can get much of a real read on the ball and have to substitute ICLS needles, even in case I.

2. Instrument readability. Analog instruments are a bit easier, but MFD menus for more technical flying like AG target pods, ordinance release parameters, etc are very challenging. When I do more “technical” flying such as precision AG attack, I usually fly outside of VR.

3. A2A target spotting. While it would amazing, this seems the most limited and I’m willing to accept that. I’d love to spot targets from greater differences and get a better sense of their aspect, but I know this will be a challenge for a while.

All three are really resolution issues. It seems there are two to three possible viable upgrades.

1. The Pimax 5k dfimitely improves resolution and has decent reviews, but hasn’t seemed to win people over. It see,s it’s heavy and maybe not the best tracking.

2. Samsung Odyssey+. If I remember the specs, it’s about a 40% increase in resolution (although it’s worded very oddly as “combine resolution per eye”) and people really do seem to like it.

3. Upcoming Occulus Rift S. I love how reliable and simple the first generation Rift has been. However, it’s a relatively small 20% increase in resolution. I’m not sure how big an impact that really makes.

So, with all of that said, does anyone have experience with any of these other headsets and could comment on how much they help improve (or how well they work) for these three points I’m hoping to improve? I think I’m liking what is being said about the Odyssey+, but would love to hear thoughts. I was a bit let down the Rift S resolution isn’t going to be more akin to the Odyssey.

Don’t forget the Vive Pro if money no object. Still has the highest vertical res and has 70% more pixels than Rift or Vive.

I owned the Rift and was happy with it till I bought the Vive Pro. Big step up.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Don’t forget the Vive Pro if money no object. Still has the highest vertical res and has 70% more pixels than Rift or Vive.

I owned the Rift and was happy with it till I bought the Vive Pro. Big step up.

Vive PRO and SO+ same resolution but SO+ redusing SDE more and it is only 300$. Some minor problems with comfort for some people but there is third part products on market what fixing these problems so not a problem anymore.

SO+ is the best buy and best in general option until Reverb reaches the market.

SO+ is the best buy and best in general option until Reverb reaches the market.

In your opinion, yes. Not everyone shares that view!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’d be pretty leery right now spending $$$ on the Vive Pro. It will likely soon be eclipsed by both the HP Reverb and the Valve Index (if the leaks are correct). At its current price point the Vive Pro certainly is not good “value”, given that the $299 Odyssey + shares the exact same panels / resolution.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC @ 4.2GHz) | MSI B450 Tomahawk | 32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 | MSI Duke RTX 2080ti | 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Track IR 5 | HP Reverb | TM Warthog HOTAS (with Delta Sim Slew Mod) | TM F/A 18 Stick | TM TPR Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | Jetseat FSE | Windows 10 Pro

DCS Modules: CA | FC3 | F-86 | UH-1 | Spitfire | P-51D | BF 109K-4 | F-5E | F-14 | F/A-18C | Normandy | Nevada | Persian Gulf

Yeah , i like the display resolution , but WMR-meh . Too many hoops .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I’d be pretty leery right now spending $$$ on the Vive Pro. It will likely soon be eclipsed by both the HP Reverb and the Valve Index (if the leaks are correct). At its current price point the Vive Pro certainly is not good “value”, given that the $299 Odyssey + shares the exact same panels / resolution.

Well, a few things. Firstly, no one mentioned value for money. That was not the question, and I would never describe the Vive Pro as good value. High quality device if you have the money. Secondly, given the Reverb potential, I’d be ‘leery’ about buying any current HMD until we see how the HP device actually performs.

Thirdly, there is more to a device than just simple resolution. Build quality, comfort, clarity of image, tracking quality, etc.

Lastly, not sure where you get the $299 from, but I’d be interested in finding out!

The Vive Pro was top of the line last year. Unfortunately, it still carries a top of the line price tag. The O+ is comparable in resolution and performance. The controller tracking may be slightly inferior to the Vive, but still very good (especially with the new O+ integrated Bluetooth). The fit issue has been more or less sorted by a $30 VR Cover face pad. It would be ludicrous in Mid 2019 to shell out $1399 for the Vive system when the O+ is more or less comparable for $299 (https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/hmd/windows-mixed-reality/hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us/). If you want top of the line quality, wait for HP Reverb or Valve Index, but don’t claim that the Vive Pro is still the best of the bunch.

Yeah, if you want to buy today, I'd say the O+ is the best. In 2-3 weeks it will likely be the Reverb, but we need a volunteer to be the test case.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).