quick tips for landing?

mehksauce

Remember that three controls ofthey act on each other. Increase in collective will require more ruder ad stick input to offset the torque effect. Move one require moving the others usually stick not as much as pedals and collective but it depends on action being preformed

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

"Hover Check!"

Before flying, bring your ship into a 5'-7' hover. Look at the Torque gauge and see what it reads. This is the psi needed to keep you off the ground. Say the gauge reads 32psi, you now know when coming in for a landing as your speed drops below 20 knots you need to be at that psi so that when the bird comes into ground effect it will enter a hover and not hit the ground.

Remember, as you fly you burn off fuel (which is weight), as your weight decreases, it may actually take less psi to slip into that 5'-7' hover. thats ok if you end up in a 10'+ hover at least you didn't hit the ground. However if you pick up troops your weight may be more than when you did your hover check, so it may take a few psi more to keep you in a hover.

Pratice at different gross weight settings and see how the psi changes.

I highly recommend Dslyecxi's video "Flying & Landing the Huey in DCS".

It's very (old) informative and well-spoken, as Dslyecxi tends to be, and should help a lot.

He goes into the theory of helicopter aerodynamics and operation, but only as deep as is required.

He does mention that this video is to help people who fly helos in non-sim games like ARMA, but it applies just as well to people who are new to the genre altogether, as I was when I first watched it. (Jesus, was that really 4 years ago?)

anyway, linky thing:

For me it has helped a lot to practise in this order after getting hover/slow taxi down.

First level flight, constant airspeed at altitude. Next step was to maintain constant speed at altitude while controlling rate of ascent/descent. After that, keeping constant rate of ascent/descent while changing airspeed.

All of this taught me control of the ship before introducing ground effect.

After that, fly along the runway out of groundeffect with constant altitude and changing speed from 0 to 60 knots. Next, same thing in ground effect.

And finally, putting the pieces together with constant => slowing rate of descent while slowing down aiming for initially steady hover out of ground effect, followed by steady hover in ground effect. Hover out of ground effect should be frowned upon, it puts you near/in a dangerous regime of the flight envelope, on the other hand only pixels are at risk. :)

Requires some patience, but to me it was better to learn step by step as opposed to "jumping in at the deep end". :)

Or follow a syllabus such as this example

Edited by Tord Hoppe