Autopilot Damper on/off? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #21
Aluminum Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jockey View Post
Ok, indeed I did get the impression that it were two different functions, but didn't understood the exact nature of each one.

About the "stick deflection limiter", Lixma 06 already explained.

Regarding the "pitch damper", I didn't know what it did exactly.
Yes the red caution light appears, and the audio warning tone does also.

So we can say that the disabling the "pitch damper", allows an higher instantaneous turn rate ?

Part of the doubt is because these two functions are in some ways similar, they both allow to "push" the limits of normal flight - something that in an F-16 for instance is somewhat restrained.

Disabling the pitch damper doesn't allow you to turn tighter. What the damper does is reduce the pitch 'wobbling' (oscillating) by damping it out using the control surfaces. So, the plane flies more smoothly when making pitch inputs.
Like the Flanker, it's on by default. The MiG is capable of a very high rate of pitch change, and it oscillates a lot without it, so it's normally left on all the time when the plane is being flown. That's why you hear the warning when it's off.

The only reason to disable it is if there's a problem with the autopilot. But if you want, you can fly without it--L_Alt+9 for 3 seconds. The 29 is really 'hairy' in pitch without it

AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at 4.5 GHz, 1.35V w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1070, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 single screen, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS w/ Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller in place of crappy original electronics

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
VC

Is the pitch "kicker" the cause of the nose bouncing around a turn? E.g. if I hold the stick hard back I get a very fast instantaneous turn, followed by a pause, then hard turn resumes, repeat.

Also, are either of these functions restricting pitching down? It seems once you go above ~1,000 km/h IAS you can hold the stick all the way forward and the plane barely reacts, you can just about get it into a slow dive after holding the stick forward for a dozen seconds. I assume this is a feature but I want to understand better what's going on.
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post

Also, are either of these functions restricting pitching down? It seems once you go above ~1,000 km/h IAS you can hold the stick all the way forward and the plane barely reacts, you can just about get it into a slow dive after holding the stick forward for a dozen seconds. I assume this is a feature but I want to understand better what's going on.
From Yo-Yo. It's about the 5th or 6th sentence down... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=22

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #24
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
From Yo-Yo. It's about the 5th or 6th sentence down... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...3&postcount=22
I'm no expert, but I don't see a direct explanation on why the plane gives only a few degrees of negative pitch deflection on the horizontal stabilators.

There's this line: IAS and altitude dependant gear ratio from the stick to stabilator;, but I've experienced the same limits at different speed and altitudes.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 10-14-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #25
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
This is fine, but I release the stick and the nose doesn't pitch up. I know there's another post much more recently in that thread about trim taking up the available travel of the stabiliser, but as far as I'm aware I wasn't trimmed or on autopilot.

Edit: looks like yo-yo was talking about low altitude, I wasn't low.

Edit 2: re-read and got the explanation on page 15 of the main FM thread.

Last edited by VC; 10-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #26
Shadoga

Care to share or link here, too?
Shadoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #27
vadupleix

May I ask by the damper off do you guys mean LAlt-9: Autopilot disconnect? Because I pressed that (and hold for more than 3s), nothing happens to me (I'm using Mig29A I guess that doesn't matter?), no warning and no unstable airplane. Did I miss something here? Thanks!
vadupleix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #28
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadupleix View Post
May I ask by the damper off do you guys mean LAlt-9: Autopilot disconnect? Because I pressed that (and hold for more than 3s), nothing happens to me (I'm using Mig29A I guess that doesn't matter?), no warning and no unstable airplane. Did I miss something here? Thanks!
Are you sure you are awaiting 3 seconds at the least?

What is your current DCS World version?
HDD : WD 500 GB ( 7.200 rpm )
MoBo : ASRock H81 Pro BTC

Op. Sys : Win 7, 64 bit
Cooler : Noctua NH-U12P
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #29
vadupleix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jockey View Post
Are you sure you are awaiting 3 seconds at the least?

What is your current DCS World version?
Yes I'm holding it for quite some time in fact. I'm running the latest open beta and also updated today
vadupleix is offline   Reply With Quote