Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

Has anyone got a FTNoIR profile for DCS they could share please? I know I'll have to edit the model settings to match my model but apart from that it should work.

I've built a 3 LED cap-style arrangment (actually fixed to my headphones) and although the LEDs are tracking OK, I'm having a lot of trouble using it in-game. One thing is that if I'm looking straight ahead, turning left and right works OK but if I'm looking down a bit, it's reversed so that turning my head left makes the view go right in-game, which makes it rather hard to look at the controls! Even in FTNoIR I can see this happening, so that turning left when looking straight ahead causes the Yaw to increase to about +20 but when my head is tilted down, it goes the other way, into -ve numbers.

I'd be interested in some tips on how people use it as well (when it's working). For example, looking at the rear panels or those at the back on the left and right is quite easy with the mouse but with IR tracking it seems rather hard to twist one's head to get to look at those areas. Of course, when using IR tracking the mouse is disabled, so we can't use the best of both depending on what we're trying to do.

Similarly, looking at the overhead panel in the UH-1H seems quite tricky, as it's not directly above the pilot but in the centre, so it involves leaning to the left and forward to position the pilot underneath it and then tilting the head back to look up at it. As I haven't got it working properly yet, I haven't actually tried it so it might not be as hard as it sounds though.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have trouble with this not working between missions? It works great on the first mission, but if I load up a second it doesn't work. It seems that it will work once per game startup, so I have to close out and restart DCS every time I want to use it. Not a huge deal, but frustrating nonetheless.

Is no-one willing to help a comrade out by sharing their FTNoIR profile?

It's really frustrating having built my tracker but being unable to use it because I don't know the right settings to use in the program :(

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Is no-one willing to help a comrade out by sharing their FTNoIR profile?

It's really frustrating having built my tracker but being unable to use it because I don't know the right settings to use in the program :(

I can post mine when I get home tonite. I had similar issues you do where when I lean left, it would lean right in-game. I had to reverse the axis in FTnoIR. I also have a hard time looking/zooming in to the overhead console.

I can post mine when I get home tonite. I had similar issues you do where when I lean left, it would lean right in-game. I had to reverse the axis in FTnoIR. I also have a hard time looking/zooming in to the overhead console.

That would be great, thanks :)

My left/right turn works normally when looking straight ahead, it's just when I tilt my head forward to look down that it gets reversed, so I don't think I need to reverse the axis but at least with a known working profile I'll be able to see if it's a problem with my clip or camera positioning or not.

imposter71 would I also be able to impose on you for your profile as well. I'm in that 80% almost there zone with ftnoir using an imac HD (2mp fixed position) cam using Accela Filter Mk2, smoothing on 1, internal filtering off but can't quite get zooming in Z translations perfect. Left/right yaw/pitch/roll is now fine after tweaking and response times are looking really good (think I can still tweak further). If I can perfect Z zoom I'll post my profile for others.

MSI Gaming 9 ACK, Intel 4790k 4.4ghz, AMD 295x2 GPU, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133mhz, DCS on Samsung 840pro SSD. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

imposter71 would I also be able to impose on you for your profile as well. I'm in that 80% almost there zone with ftnoir using an imac HD (2mp fixed position) cam using Accela Filter Mk2, smoothing on 1, internal filtering off but can't quite get zooming in Z translations perfect. Left/right yaw/pitch/roll is now fine after tweaking and response times are looking really good (think I can still tweak further). If I can perfect Z zoom I'll post my profile for others.

Sure thing. I didn't get home until late last nite so I didn't get a chance to send it out to you guys. I'll be online tonite DL'ing some modules so I'll send my profile out.

Nice one impostor71, I look forward to trying it out tomorrow :)

I set up FTNOIR with a PS3 eye and generous lighting. I found it to be a reasonable solution to head tracking, but not as good as my wiimote-powered freetrack setup. There was more jitter and sluggishness. A good solution for someone on a budget in a hurry, but no more.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to set up FaceTrackNoIR with a PS Eye.

I've got the latest CL driver installed and the latest FaceTrackNoIR installed as of this posting. A few things I am confused about.

When I launch CL-Eye Test I set the frame limit to the maximum 125 Hz which works fine and is super fast/smooth in CL-Eye Test. But when I go into FaceTrackNoIR, I hit start and it begins at 125 Hz and then quickly falls to 56 Hz every time and stays stuck there at 56 FPS/ Hz. Any idea why that could be? I have a 5 GHz 3960X so I know CPU isn't the problem.

Also, when I get to the step "select Fake TrackIR" under game protocol, it's not there. All I have is Flight Gear, FS, FreeTrack 2.0, FaceTrackNoIR, Mouse Look, FSX, and VJoy. I installed the full install of FaceTrackNoIR, is the Fake TrackIR protocol something that needs to be installed separate and is it needed?

Thanks for any help!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for you profile imposter71, it seems to work quite well for me, now that I've learnt to unzoom my PS3 Eye as that was making it do funky things!

I have a weird issue with FTNoIR where it keeps flashing up images of other parts of the cockpit to where I'm looking in DCS, such as the left MFCD, very briefly like 0.5s.

I didn't experience this using Freetrack, so I must have some setting wrong.

With Freetrack, I had Freetrack and TrackIR enabled.

In FTNoIR I had Start dummy TrackIR.exe enabled and Use TrackIR, Hide Freetrack selected. I do have the headtracker.dll installed in bin\headtracker as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FTnoIR only works on first mission

Hey,

Just picked up v1.7 of this and whilst it works perfectly the first time I launch the game it stops working as soon as I quit a mission and start another.

I found a thread on here from some time ago hinting that a fix was in the works, but can't find anything more? Was the fix ever released?

Thanks

Graham

I like FreeTrack IR a lot better. Built a freetrack setup for $20 in materials, and with my free track settings it works every bit as good as my track IR 4 pro worked, and works way better than facetrack noir.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS