Would you buy fictional maps?

ESAc_matador

Would you buy fictional maps?  

928 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy fictional maps?

• Yes
    • No

Any map is a great idea, But if a Dev takes to time to make one they might as well make one based on real world like:

Cold war Europe

korean peninsula

Gulf war

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Yes. Fictional or real, doesn't matter if the quality is high.

It is much easier to do fictional map than replicate real area, ED doesn't help either, keeping map tools for themselves so for now there is no way to make terrain as "common modder".

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

singleplayer: NO

multiplayer: absolutely YES (if done right and seriously)

Not for me I'm afraid, it would have to be pretty special in order for it to be enticing for me. I'm simply more interested in real world maps or maps that are at least based on real world ones (such as Altis in Arma 3 as an example). But I wouldn't want to kill the party for the rest of you who have voted yes.

I'll remain neutral on the poll.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I fly DCS for the REALISM! Now that we finally have our first ever combat sim with multiple highly detailed combat aircraft from different eras, we're going to ruin it by creating fictional maps and completely ruin the whole concept? I don't think so... :mad: If you want a desert map, make Kuwait. If you want jungles, make Vietnam. If you want mountains, make Korea. There's no need for fictional maps.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

YES.

And give tools to modders or so they can be made to top notch standards.

For those who fly for REALISM you should probably uninstall the game as Im sure you have crashed or died so as for realism you should no longer play the game.

Or at least did not follow the correct procedure and crashed so the military would have pulled your wings.

Or carried 6 Mavs and a TGP (unrealistic weapons loadout )etc. We still play for FUN its not a job like a real pilot and its still on a computer.

Back to topic. Why not?

keep the aircraft simulated but I have no problem with generic maps.

I have seen some online community's that already pretend to be in different locations so its something I think the community as a whole would like.

There was another sim where you could download quite a few maps and they were done quite well.

So if the devs made a tool kit or released theirs for free or a small fee we could get some cool well done maps.

I love flying in Vegas but as far as SUPER REAL. Well the strip is not totally correct it also changes alot yearly as buildings are raised and built. And non of my friends houses are on the MAP so no matter what we are flying in a unreal map/fictional.

Dont get me wrong I LOVE NTTR but at the end of the day I fly and fight for FUN in the safety of my comfortable chair.

CptnKnuckleHead

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I fly DCS for the REALISM! Now that we finally have our first ever combat sim with multiple highly detailed combat aircraft from different eras, we're going to ruin it by creating fictional maps and completely ruin the whole concept? I don't think so... :mad: If you want a desert map, make Kuwait. If you want jungles, make Vietnam. If you want mountains, make Korea. There's no need for fictional maps.

I really don't think that fictional maps would "completely ruin" the DCS concept of realism, after all you'd still be flying the multiple highly detailed combat aircraft, only the ground beneath you wouldn't be based on a real world location; it would still look great though! I also believe that the point of making fictional maps, or at least suggesting it, is that they would be quicker/cheaper to make than their realistic, true to life counterparts.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

That is the point.

I don't think many of you, if you are "sent" to fly in Nigeria coast or Somalia, would recognize the terrain... And I don't think there should be many navaids for combat missions.

Not to mention China, or even Fulda gap...

Edited by ESAc_matador

I think ESAc_Matador made the wrong word choose, I think ( and I can be wrong) that he means generic maps, for example, people says, If you want Desert makes Kuwait, ok, but that will give us only Kuwait, it will cost a lot more work to replicate it properly, as it will require a cautious approach to city, road positioning, air bases based on the real ones, and the proper landmarks and buildings.

But If we get a generic desert map with some air bases, a stretch of ocean and some generic cities, it will still work as any place in Middle East Region, Yemen, the Gulf, South Iran, Djibouti, Somalia... Well, you get the point.

A generic map of the jungle, a couple of wide muddy rivers, some dirt roads, some airbases and some generic towns, we can use it as Equatorial Africa as well as for South America Jungle or South Pacific green hell.

A arid country with tall mountains, can be used for Afghanistan, Pakistan or Peruvian mountains, and so on.

I'm sure many of you know the ArmA series, they used generic maps during all this time, since Operation Flash Point, and the maps are ultrarealistic, from a generic warsaw pact country, to a Afghanistan style republic passing by some Aegean island country ala Cyprus or Crete islands. The idea is to have realistic maps that are realistic and interesting to fly and that can represent combat areas of the past, but that does not require the time investment replicating an exact mountain peak or a certain building on a certain city, after all, how many buildings are exactly the same 3d generic model in the Caucasus?

Sorry Esac_Matador If I understood you correctly.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

One could argue NTTR is a fictional map, as there is no active conflict that goes on there, and the training exercises that get flown there are because of certain logistical features of the area, that make it good for training. The fact that DCS uses it is in fact to have simulations of the real "Simulations" (Red Flag) for training because real life can't make up training grounds for two weeks and then tear down the runways, hangers, and targets after they're done.

So I think a more appropriate question is what do you want to train, area familiarization, or combat tactics. I think real life terrains do both, but that doesn't make fictional maps irrelevant.

I think ESAc_Matador made the wrong word choose, I think ( and I can be wrong) that he means generic maps, for example, people says, If you want Desert makes Kuwait, ok, but that will give us only Kuwait, it will cost a lot more work to replicate it properly, as it will require a cautious approach to city, road positioning, air bases based on the real ones, and the proper landmarks and buildings.

But If we get a generic desert map with some air bases, a stretch of ocean and some generic cities, it will still work as any place in Middle East Region, Yemen, the Gulf, South Iran, Djibouti, Somalia... Well, you get the point.

A generic map of the jungle, a couple of wide muddy rivers, some dirt roads, some airbases and some generic towns, we can use it as Equatorial Africa as well as for South America Jungle or South Pacific green hell.

A arid country with tall mountains, can be used for Afghanistan, Pakistan or Peruvian mountains, and so on.

I'm sure many of you know the ArmA series, they used generic maps during all this time, since Operation Flash Point, and the maps are ultrarealistic, from a generic warsaw pact country, to a Afghanistan style republic passing by some Aegean island country ala Cyprus or Crete islands. The idea is to have realistic maps that are realistic and interesting to fly and that can represent combat areas of the past, but that does not require the time investment replicating an exact mountain peak or a certain building on a certain city, after all, how many buildings are exactly the same 3d generic model in the Caucasus?

Sorry Esac_Matador If I understood you correctly.

Nailed!! That is what I meant for fictional. Not "science fiction". THANKS!!!

I still want floating mountains...

*grumble*

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One could argue NTTR is a fictional map

And lose the argument decisively. Not everything is opinion.;)

--------------

For my part, I would be fine flying on a fictional map, but I wouldn't buy one.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Most of the GIS data and aerial photos that will be required to make a pretty decent theatre may cost some money, but it is not outside of the realm to fund these through a kickstarter campaign run by the community. The end result will represent some portion of the earth, and it should be fairly realistic. There is no excuse not to do it, and I don't buy into the argument that it will be cheaper to develop a fictional (fantasy) map.

Even with a real world theatre one can take some liberties where no real word information is available (the current Caucuses map is a point in case), and people will understand and accept that. I can not however see why fictional maps of place that don't exist in real life should be created for DCS World. Now I could be wrong, and someone could potentially make a pretty good knock off of mother earth that does not actually exist in reality, and it could end up performing well with great gameplay options, but this is not something I would like to see in DCS. I would back a community real world theatre in a heartbeat, but it is unlikely that I would support a fictional/fantasy map.

I would buy a fictional map if it was convincing enough. I remember Digital Integration's Tornado had fictional maps. Didn't make a difference in the sim because I was too busy flying and blowing stuff up. Once can argue that graphics back then were limited but I think the flying experience is what matters most. ARMA 3 uses fictional maps which feel like the regions they are simulating. So, short answer = yes.

--T

Yes, but then i like to have a "pandora map" with the "flying mountains" ;-)

article-1246457-0805AF58000005DC-928_634x353.jpg

That's what I have been saying!

I also want large underground caves to fly into, a large canyon (also to fly into), and the Hallelujah Mountains from Avatar. Having a "Flux Vortex" would be nice too. It'd make us have to rely on our eyes from combat in that area. But having Hallelujah mountains in a map would be awesome.

An SA-2 Sampson would get my support as well :D

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YES. But it would depend on type of map, quality, variances of terrain, should include maritime and littorals, and price.

One adjusted map I would like to see is a potential littoral map of real location but with substantially higher mean sea level with less iced over areas. 50 meters or more, as to create inland sea with access to ocean with chokepoints. Perhaps even user adjustable MSL.