Ars Technica reviews the TM Warthog

Excellent photography, but his criticism of TARGET is way off-base. People like that should stick with Saitek or Logitech.

Second that. What I also find a bit weird is that the guy doesn't even mention DCS A-10C, or any other 'real' sim (even if it were FSX). Basically, the reviewer didn't (try to) use the Warthog to its full potential, IMHO a shame if your task is to review such a product.

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

There has been a large influx of people with $$$ to burn buying up the warthog and creating a shortage (at least at the $430 price point it was previously at) due to the upcoming space simulators Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Currently they are fairly arcadey feeling and not very heavy on the simulator side, so there are a lot of new Warthog owners out there that don't really fully appreciate the stick and just had $500 to blow on the best joystick they could find.

ED is nice enough to sell us the highly detailed DCS modules for $30-50 a pop, but the ships in Star Citizen go for $45-300+. There are people that have spent $10,000+ on space ships at this point, so a $500 joystick is a drop in the bucket!

Excellent photography, but his criticism of TARGET is way off-base. People like that should stick with Saitek or Logitech.

I'd agree with his criticism of the Target GUI. It's rubbish.

Most users don't have the time or inclination to learn scripting - I use one, but I downloaded it. What I found odd about the GUI was that their previous one for the Top Gun II wasn't bad at all.

What is so rubbish about it? It provides all of the basic functionality up front with advanced scripting if necessary. I get people would rather be lazy bastards in their off time than figure anything out, but it's disingenuous for the reviewer to say that the software is the weak part of the package.

its one thing to say the GUI is poop but it does allow you to do lots of neat stuff you otherwise couldn't same thing could be said about saiteks programming software... at this point I'm pretty convinced that no matter how it was designed the vast majority wouldn't understand it and then slam it because it involves thinking to do stuff and to learn how to do things.

its like saying x program language is bad because you don't know how to make a sprite move across the screen, when you know its possible you just don't know how to do it... so therefore the language is poop. see whats wrong with the logic?

TARGET GUI is not very good at all IMO. In fact TARGET has a major drawback, wich is to combine all controllers in a virtual controller. Who ever thought that was a good idea deserves a punch it's only usefull for extremely outdated simulators that only about 1% of the already small flight sim comunity still flyes.

As for TARGET GUI (I use it and create all my profiles by the way) there's tons of small little things that would improve the workload that you simply can't do.

For example: You've just created a functions for a button, then you decide you want it in another button that's not yet programed. Well you CAN'T DO IT! while You can copy paste the function fine to a button that's allready on the programed list. You can't do it for one thta's not. That's just a tiny example but there's tons of things they could have done better.

Sill my main gripe with TARGET still is, and allways will be the fact that you can only have that one virtual controller period.

As for this guys review, I'm going to read it now...