Serious question. Mirage or Harrier?

Pickle72

Serious question. Mirage or Harrier?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Serious question. Mirage or Harrier?

If you would carefully read again you would know what I am talking about.... I give you a tip, nothing about penetration capability.....

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

If you read about the lots and lots of gunstrafes during CAS missions in Afghanistan and Iraq that have been performed with the AV-8B N/A and Plus, you would reconsider your statement, maybe?

From my own experience (last weekend 4 hrs flying a dynamic CAS mission in DCS) it can do very precise and deadly gun runs in DCS... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

AA is not the reason for the current gunpod elevation.

ckKaFim.jpg?1

That is what I thought first too that it should point downward instead upward but didn't know it was a limitation in DCS instead actually designed to be for AA.

As that is the common problem with aircrafts designed for air operations that Cannon points straight or little upwards instead downward for ground targets.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And if you watch again the video, you will see you ca perfectly engage ground target with GAU-12 gun
Yes.. but my point still stands that if Cannon point straight or up, it ain't as good for ground attack if it points down.

As was told that harrier should have -2 degree down angle.

Like F-18 and F-35 problems are cannon is for air to air combat and not for ground like GAU-8.

NOTHING about penetration, accuracy other performance than angle for attack.

As was shown, harrier should have gun pointing down unlike now where it points too much up and makes it worse gun than A-10.

That is the point.

In air combat you want gun to point up so it is easier to point on target.

In ground combat you want it to point down so you can't easily point on target.

And that ain't correct now in harrier, why I said it has its difference to A-10. Not about accuracy, penetration, RPM etc. Only about angle, as when you fly harrier in DCS, you should be able notice the difference that cannon points too much up.

I didn't know that in reality it should point more down as I thought it was correctly modeled in DCS harrier.

So I am still correct, even after it gets fixed. As that is benefit that ground attack aircrafts has over fighters.

That is as well why Su-25 cannon pods are great as you can angle them downward and making gun staffing very easy and safe.

--

Actually the Harrier at least had it's Aden Gunpod attached with a slight upward angle, even on the Gr.3 ground attack versions. That is from an account of a RAF Harrier pilot from the Falklands war.

That did not mean they wouldn't do low level strafes or gun attacks. They just had less optimum preconditions.

I am not 100% sure, if the AV-8B has a different adjusted gun pod, but I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same upward angle, the Brits use on their Aden pods.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I am new to DCS but not flight sims, and I was all set to get the M-2000C as my first "real" module. But now I have started thinking about the Harrier. I have read all the threads, watched all the youtube and I can’t decide. I can only get one. So for all of you who have both, which one is your favorite?

Thanks

:pilotfly::pilotfly:

3rd party aircraft / copters are not ready for prime time when released and usually not really ready for 2 years after release. And I have most of the current inventory.

So, get the Mirage. I have it and got it at release date.

I am pretty much a copter guy and WWII era fanatic. I am just recently, seriously getting into using the Mirage. With copters I like playing on the 104th and Blue Flag servers in Multiplayer and will be using the Mirage there, soon.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually the Harrier at least had it's Aden Gunpod attached with a slight upward angle, even on the Gr.3 ground attack versions. That is from an account of a RAF Harrier pilot from the Falklands war.

That did not mean they wouldn't do low level strafes or gun attacks. They just had less optimum preconditions.

I am not 100% sure, if the AV-8B has a different adjusted gun pod, but I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same upward angle, the Brits use on their Aden pods.

Of course it doesn't mean you can't do staffing, but it is just not as easy, safe and always as possible.

A few degrees matters a lot. Like with a A-10 when you are required to shoot at 2-4 degree dive at 40-60m altitude to get even a change to do some damage to T-55 or T-62 MBT, that 2 degree is huge difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gunpod allows to adjust the angle for ground or air mode.... After all it should be possible just for FCS software to switch between two after setting and zeroing.

--

I am pretty much a copter guy and WWII era fanatic. I am just recently, seriously getting into using the Mirage. With copters I like playing on the 104th and Blue Flag servers in Multiplayer and will be using the Mirage there, soon.

I've always been a prop kind of guy too. The ones on the front not the top.

This is my first jet sim since Falcon 4, how many decades ago was that?

Loving it. I am killing it in the Guns, Guns, Guns instant action. As close to WWII on steroids as you can get. Learning lots of stuff.

1) I almost prefer a fixed gun sight. driving the target reticle is not at all natural. Not yet anyway.

2) Burst mode waste way too much ammo. Putting it on full auto and having trigger discipline is much more economical.

3) Mig 23's can take some damage.

4) Mig 29's can't :smartass:

T-16000M FCS | Track IR5 | Quest 2 | ASROCK Z370 | i7-8700k | GTX1080-OC | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | OSX High Sierra for real work

Hack build