Damn, I’m old!

Reflected

I realized I was becoming too old when I started to find women over 40 attractive :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

... Look what I found. Floppies with some of my first flight sims: Aces Over Europe and 1942.

You are not alone ... I still have a lot of my old flight sims, this is one of the oldest (circa 1992):

68Q4j97.jpg

:( yeahh .. I'm old too

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I played Aces Over Europe and Aces of the Pacific, too =) I think my first was F117 Stealth Fighter. But AotP and AoE were the first big ones. Janes US Navy Fighters was the next one after that. Was just a wee fellow back then but it was the beginning of the end... Of my wallet.Oh and Thunderhawk. Can't forget those big black floppies

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Today I’m helping my mom repaint my old room I grew up in. Look what I found. Floppies with some of my first flight sims: Aces Over Europe and 1942. I couldn’t have imagined something like DCS back then, not in my wildest dreams....:)
Hey, at least they aren't 5 and a quarters. :)

Hey, at least they aren't 5 and a quarters. :)

:)Yep if you' got a lot of those ole original floppies(5 1/4") then you are getting on.I used to love the sound the drive would make , loading those disks.:clap_2:

When I was a kid, I used to play F-14 Tomcat on the Commodore 64 with my dad. One of us would fly, the other one would control the keyboard.

I recently told him that after 30 years, we are finally going to have a proper simulation of the Tomcat soon! :thumbup:

Here's a video of the C64 version, but it doesn't show the sim part unfortunately:

And this is DOS version, which was brought out later and looked better:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I had a Vic20 without any flight sims for my first PC but you can bet I spent a load of hours of the good old Tandy 1000HX playing F-15 Strike Eagle, F-19, and A-10 Tank Killer.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

When I was a kid, I used to play F-14 Tomcat on the Commodore 64 with my dad. One of us would fly, the other one would control the keyboard.

I recently told him that after 30 years, we are finally going to have a proper simulation of the Tomcat soon! :thumbup:

Here's a video of the C64 version, but it doesn't show the sim part unfortunately:

And this is DOS version, which was brought out later and looked better:

Used to play that too with the guy next door. Veeeery oldschool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I grew up on the Ti994/a in Jr. High and moved up to a used apple II+ with 5 1/4" floppies in high school. 3 1/2" floppies didn't come out for awhile. But I always remember my friends dads TRS-80 II with 8 inch floppy.

I envied those floppies. Never did get one.

floppy-drives.jpg

Of course my first flight sim was from SubLogic.

Edited by aileron

You missed out in your 20s then!!!

You'll feel old when some hottie that your thinking obscene thoughts about at a bar calls you sir when you try to talk to her.

:D ... yeah, I’ve been there already :) its a good thing that I now prefer women over 40, they are now one of the great pleasures in life (DCS being the other).

I grew up on the Ti994/a in Jr. High and moved up to a used apple II+ with 5 1/4" floppies in high school. 3 1/2" floppies didn't come out for awhile. But I always remember my friends dads TRS-80 II with 8 inch floppy.

I envied those floppies. Never did get one.

Of course my first flight sim was from SubLogic.

My first flight sim was by Sublogic as well, I see you had the fancy color one. My TRS-80 Model 1 only had green screen. Had to load the program from a tape drive (Floppies were to high tech and expensive.) Whopping 16k of ram in that puppy and still had loads of fun!

:joystick:

My first flight sim was by Sublogic as well, I see you had the fancy color one. My TRS-80 Model 1 only had green screen. Had to load the program from a tape drive (Floppies were to high tech and expensive.) Whopping 16k of ram in that puppy and still had loads of fun!

:joystick:

Naaa... I had the green monitor as well, that's not my video. I just threw it up there for nostalgia. Though I did have the apple II floppy drives by then. Though on the Ti994/a I was stuck with cassettes.

Nice to see so many that started out in its infancy. I was just watching the ZX Spectrum flight sim and was cracking up that its was more advanced than sublogic yet not. We had such big imaginations back then to fill in the void. :)

My first flight sim was LHX Attack Chopper (1990)

LHX_Attack_Chopper_screenshot.png

The Irony in all of that is that I am not so fond of choppers today :D

Then I played F22 Lighning 3

I remember looking at Flanker (some version) but my PC could not handle it so I never played any Flanker game before LOMAC

Edited by wizav

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where does the line form? :D

Looks like it may get long.........

Dam, I played every single one of these.......:cry:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

The original F-15 Strike Eagle on the Atari 800 was my first!

Bombing triangles on the ground was never so fun. :joystick:

I would play that at my grandma's every time I would visit. Come to think of it, maybe I should have played bridge with her instead.