Helicopter EC-130 handling in Jurrasic World

My op-ed write-up of Mazranni landing EC-130 in confined space in Jurassic World (2015).

I can see why CFI threw up after landing. I thought that descent rate was a bit higher then EC-130 max, and that would put him into VRS or settling with power condition. Landing in a confined area, without first coming to stabilized hover. THat pedal turn prior to landing as he transitioned from OGE to IGE, could have easily sent him into LTE. He landed on a single skid with motion. A good setup for dynamic rollover, or ground resonance. OK now the worst thing he did. He exited the helicopter prior to proper shutdown and rotors coming to stop. A shutting down turbine can TOT, if not monitored. Rotor blades are dangerous objects when spinning. It is prohibited by FAA regulations , manufacturer's POH, and professionalism for pilot in command to exit helicopter prior to shutdown and rotor stop. A helicopter , even idling , with rotors turning, is considered to be aircraft in flight.

Approach into wind. Stabilize to hover in OGE. Slowly transition into IGE hover. Keep the helicopter pointed into relative wind. Settle slowly onto pad. Have an IF-THEN action plan for power failure at every stage of approach.

I can see why CFI threw up after landing.

A CFI's job is to try and teach the student how to fly.

A student's job is to try and kill the CFI.:music_whistling:

At the following link, see the real life example of how a CFI can effectively manage the cockpit environment so as to best dissuade a student from attempting a maneuver which could endanger the aircraft, it's occupants, and persons on the ground:

:thumbup: