How (when) to ask ATC permission for startup?

sirrah

Not really important, but I've been meaning to ask this for a while now..

When exactly do I ask ATC permission for startup?

I mean, I would imagine this should be done after running the APU and prior to engine spool up. But, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, the radios ain't working until the main generator is online (after right engine start). So how do I ask permission to startup, with only the APU running?

Second, and perhaps more important question, was this actually part of the start up procedure in the Hornet? And was permission also needed on the carrier deck? (I'd expect the tower would know if aircraft were about to startup, apart from maintenance tests maybe).

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

When exactly do I ask ATC permission for startup?

I mean, I would imagine this should be done after running the APU and prior to engine spool up. But, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, the radios ain't working until the main generator is online (after right engine start). So how do I ask permission to startup, with only the APU running?

Contact Ground Crew and ask the connection of Ground Power. Once connected, right click on the EXT PWR switch (to RESET) it returns by itself to NORM. (On the left console, electric panel)

Then Left Click on the "1" switch (hold for at least 3 seconds, while it does a BIT test), then left click on "2" and "4". Now all the systems have power, including the UFC and the Radios.

Second, and perhaps more important question, was this actually part of the start up procedure in the Hornet?

No, I understand that this permission is more of a russian thing.

And was permission also needed on the carrier deck?

No.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ok, so no permission is needed, thanks :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH