For those on the sideline about buying Normandy...

Mr_sukebe

If you'd asked me just a week ago my view on Normandy, I'd have said that it had great promise but ran like a dog.

Happy to say that not only has the performance been massively improved (probably to the point of being one of the fastest running maps), and also looks lovely with the Speedtrees implementation.

As it's currently on sale, if you don't already have it, then just do it, even more so if you're a helicopter pilot, where the views at low level are now ace.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I second this. After the update, Normandy runs smooth as butter, even in VR. It also visually looks much improved, though albeit it still has some rough spots, particularly the coastline

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear you are seeing an improvement.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Dear Bignewy,

just updated to the new patch but the trees are still swapping colours from light to dark constantly when flying low .....like the textures are turning last minute :music_whistling: (cannot explain otherwise)

can this be fixed with a setting or is this still a lod problem ?

brgds and thanks for the updates

maks

Dear Bignewy,

just updated to the new patch but the trees are still swapping colours from light to dark constantly when flying low .....like the textures are turning last minute :music_whistling: (cannot explain otherwise)

can this be fixed with a setting or is this still a lod problem ?

brgds and thanks for the updates

maks

Have you tried deleting fxo and metashaders files? Also deleting metacache file from maps itself can help.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 3 months later...

I posted already in the DLC maps section (didn't realize this one was separate), but is the open beta required to see the updates in the Normandy map, or was it moved to stable already in a previous update?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

You must have a high-end system to be able to support Normandy.

I don't know which part of hardware is not fine with me (actually I rather think it's the map), but since this update I can't even get 1 FPS, it freezes all the time when I turn the head, then sometimes I have 20-ish FPS for a fraction of a second, and it freezes again. As an example, I just tried with 2.5.6.47224, instant mission / Bf109 take-off.

I suppose it loads information all the time and that it's blocking the whole rendering process. Or it's because I'm on the ground, other DCS maps have also a performance hit at low altitude, but far from this.

In the air it's less dramatic, but it still freezes regularly and it's nothing to do with smoothness. If I go below 1000ft it becomes hazardous again, so as far as helicopter flights are concerned, it's certainly not a good candidate.

It's simple, I couldn't even exit DCS, it remained completely frozen after I clicked (painfully) "Exit". Had to kill it.

It was already sluggish and very demanding at the beginning, now it's become an impossibility for me. I'll probably try it again in a few months if I upgrade to a latest RTX 2080 Ti and an NVMe memory, I think less than that just won't do it.

Nevada and Caucasus are fine, except a few slower spots but even then, it's nothing close to the problems I have with Normandy.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

@aleander - the map overhaul came with Open Beta patch 2.5.5.41256, dated December 18th last year, with a couple of minor hotfixes afterwards. I don't know what exact version number current stable has, but if it's later, the updated content should be there.

@Redglyph - no such fps issues for me in 109 takeoff mission you mentioned (granted, only loading the mission and looking around with a mouse, not actually flying) - 80-few up to 90-few fps @ 1440p with config as in my sig and mostly medium-high'ish settings. Same in cold-start mission. Exiting freezes the DCS, however, I admit, but it seems to be affecting random players on other maps as well. I'd hazard a guess it's escalation of AI-related issues of 2.5.6, because on friday I was using Normandy for solo flight missions a lot without any issues whatsoever. I was the only unit on the map, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@aleander - the map overhaul came with Open Beta patch 2.5.5.41256, dated December 18th last year, with a couple of minor hotfixes afterwards. I don't know what exact version number current stable has, but if it's later, the updated content should be there.

@Redglyph - no such fps issues for me in 109 takeoff mission you mentioned (granted, only loading the mission and looking around with a mouse, not actually flying) - 80-few up to 90-few fps @ 1440p with config as in my sig and mostly medium-high'ish settings. Same in cold-start mission. Exiting freezes the DCS, however, I admit, but it seems to be affecting random players on other maps as well. I'd hazard a guess it's escalation of AI-related issues of 2.5.6, because on friday I was using Normandy for solo flight missions a lot without any issues whatsoever. I was the only unit on the map, though.

Ok, thanks. I have both installed (stable and beta) and did try the Normandy map briefly in stable last night. It was very smooth, I just wanted to be sure I was seeing the best version of it.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

You must have a high-end system to be able to support Normandy.

I don't know which part of hardware is not fine with me (actually I rather think it's the map), but since this update I can't even get 1 FPS, it freezes all the time when I turn the head, then sometimes I have 20-ish FPS for a fraction of a second, and it freezes again. As an example, I just tried with 2.5.6.47224, instant mission / Bf109 take-off.

I suppose it loads information all the time and that it's blocking the whole rendering process. Or it's because I'm on the ground, other DCS maps have also a performance hit at low altitude, but far from this.

In the air it's less dramatic, but it still freezes regularly and it's nothing to do with smoothness. If I go below 1000ft it becomes hazardous again, so as far as helicopter flights are concerned, it's certainly not a good candidate.

It's simple, I couldn't even exit DCS, it remained completely frozen after I clicked (painfully) "Exit". Had to kill it.

It was already sluggish and very demanding at the beginning, now it's become an impossibility for me. I'll probably try it again in a few months if I upgrade to a latest RTX 2080 Ti and an NVMe memory, I think less than that just won't do it.

Nevada and Caucasus are fine, except a few slower spots but even then, it's nothing close to the problems I have with Normandy.

Since today, I'm having the same issues. The Normandy map is no longer playable. It freezes and crashes DCS and sometimes hangs with a painful flickering bright white light. I downloaded the FW-190 module to try and at first I thought it was something to do with that module, but I tried it again with the Spitfire, which I own and I've used the Spitfire on the Normandy map fine previously and it was still freezing and crashing. I think I last flew on on the Normandy map, maybe two days ago and it was fine then, so I don't know what's changed, I haven't altered any settings. I might add, I fly exclusively in VR and even with my middling specs I've previously been able to fly on the Normandy map fine without these issues.

Sorry, I should add, this is on the Open Beta and free flight mode. I tried to fly my Spitfire in free flight on the Stable release and it wouldn't let me, it said I needed WW2 Armour & technics installed. I'm guessing this means the WW2 assets pack? I installed the WW2 assets pack on the Open Beta version but don't have it installed on the Stable. I flew the Mirage 2000 and TF-150 Mustang in free flight on Stable and they ran fine - I was getting my usual 25 - 40 FPS in VR, depending on altitude and terrain. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with having the WW2 assets pack installed that's causing the frame rate issues and crashing? I'm going to install it on the stable version and test again.

Edited by AlpineGTA
Extra testing

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for testing! Perhaps the 8GB of memory on the 1070 help. What type of SSD do you have?

I'm testing that first still on the runway too. Then if that looks possible, I'm taking off and doing a pattern, but here it was just impossible.

I tried again today and it was better, but the weather was completely different. I know there are remnants of the previous flights and that the state is not properly reset between sessions, but I though it was only for the state of the aircraft, nothing else. Strange.

In any case, I tried different settings but the results are so inconsistent from one run to the next, even with the same parameters, that it's hard to pinpoint. With low-res terrain textures it seems to be much better standing still on the runway, but it's still stuttering a lot when flying over the country below 1000ft or so, to the point the sound itself stops now and then for a fraction of a second.

=> this looks to be due to loading too many objects and/or textures from disk

Since today, I'm having the same issues. The Normandy map is no longer playable. It freezes and crashes DCS and sometimes hangs with a painful flickering bright white light. I downloaded the FW-190 module to try and at first I thought it was something to do with that module, but I tried it again with the Spitfire, which I own and I've used the Spitfire on the Normandy map fine previously and it was still freezing and crashing. I think I last flew on on the Normandy map, maybe two days ago and it was fine then, so I don't know what's changed, I haven't altered any settings. I might add, I fly exclusively in VR and even with my middling specs I've previously been able to fly on the Normandy map fine without these issues.

Sorry, I should add, this is on the Open Beta and free flight mode. I tried to fly my Spitfire in free flight on the Stable release and it wouldn't let me, it said I needed WW2 Armour & technics installed. I'm guessing this means the WW2 assets pack? I installed the WW2 assets pack on the Open Beta version but don't have it installed on the Stable. I flew the Mirage 2000 and TF-150 Mustang in free flight on Stable and they ran fine - I was getting my usual 25 - 40 FPS in VR, depending on altitude and terrain. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with having the WW2 assets pack installed that's causing the frame rate issues and crashing? I'm going to install it on the stable version and test again.

It's inconsistent alright. I'm OB too (see the version), but it's been like that for a while, it's not just the latest updates. Since the update of Normandy I would say, it really made it much worse for me, and also quite different from one flight to the next, even if they're in the exact same conditions.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thanks for testing! Perhaps the 8GB of memory on the 1070 help. What type of SSD do you have?

I'm testing that first still on the runway too. Then if that looks possible, I'm taking off and doing a pattern, but here it was just impossible.

I tried again today and it was better, but the weather was completely different. I know there are remnants of the previous flights and that the state is not properly reset between sessions, but I though it was only for the state of the aircraft, nothing else. Strange.

In any case, I tried different settings but the results are so inconsistent from one run to the next, even with the same parameters, that it's hard to pinpoint. With low-res terrain textures it seems to be much better standing still on the runway, but it's still stuttering a lot when flying over the country below 1000ft or so, to the point the sound itself stops now and then for a fraction of a second.

=> this looks to be due to loading too many objects and/or textures from disk

It's inconsistent alright. I'm OB too (see the version), but it's been like that for a while, it's not just the latest updates. Since the update of Normandy I would say, it really made it much worse for me, and also quite different from one flight to the next, even if they're in the exact same conditions.

Have you deleted (and to be on the safe side, emptied trach can) the folders fxo and metashaders2 in the saved games/DCS.openbeta resently?

Should be done after each update.

(if you still have the metashaders folder, without 2, it definitely should be removed since it's not in use anymore)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I installed the WW2 assets pack on the Stable and tried again the Spitfire, the Mirage and the Fw 190 and, apart from the occasional stutter when I was flying close to the B17 in my Spitfire, which I put down to my PC specs, it was fine. So for me at least it seems to be an issue with the OB. Hopefully future updates to the OB will fix it.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Have you deleted (and to be on the safe side, emptied trach can) the folders fxo and metashaders2 in the saved games/DCS.openbeta resently?

Should be done after each update.

(if you still have the metashaders folder, without 2, it definitely should be removed since it's not in use anymore)

Thanks, I didn't know that. I deleted them and tried again, but I couldn't see any difference, and the performances made it impossible again to do anything.

I've waited for 2-3 minutes without moving the aircraft, just looking left and right, it would move for 10 degrees then freeze for 2 to 10 seconds. It was slightly better after 3 minutes, but still happening randomly.

I checked Caucasus and Nevada, smooth. Normandy just needs a lot of optimizing, apparently. Or a powerful system.

Edited by Redglyph

• 2 weeks later...
I checked Caucasus and Nevada, smooth. Normandy just needs a lot of optimizing, apparently. Or a powerful system.

I have a overclocked 5960x and 2080ti FE, and it STILL runs like a dog in VR. 38fps with all the options turned down? Really... So no, I can safely say it's nothing to do with the power of one's system.

Further, it's at most two thirds of a map anyway: one third sea, one third an acceptable-if-slow representation of Normandy, and one third a down right embarrassing representation of south-east England. I live there, and to see randomly-placed woodland, no rivers, no railways or roads, and even major settlements completely omitted from the map... And what on earth are these random cliffs mid terrain (see screenshot)?! Unnacceptably sh12 for a paid-for product. No, buy the Kurfürst and wait for the DCS Channel map to come out.

I know I've written a bit of a sh12post here and I apologise, but seriously, compare this with any competitor's products (even those outside of DCS) and it's a bit of a joke to charge for a map of this quality.

9pr4o8hhaoq41.thumb.jpg.ba790920c334662be08c14e8a84151d7.jpg

^ Well, to be honest the UK coast was not planned to be there at all at first, and was thrown in shortly before release in '17 with a caveat, that it would be extremely simplified representation only to have a few airfields on the left side of the map, without any other features or plans to add them in the future for that matter. So we've got exactly what we were told we would get, nothing more.

That being said, if the map still causes severe performance issues for some users as it seems, it's not a recommended full-price purchase with ED's Channel map on the horizon.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

This map is very nice for WW2 scenarios. I have zero issues with it.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

Bad download?

Wonder if I should re-download the trial Normandy Map? I'm experiencing terrible frame rate issues. Was about to remove the map from my library, but decided to check the forum for a fix. I haven't purchased yet, and will not if the current experience continues.

I don't see too much difference in performance playing on Normandy compared to the rest DLC map.

But I noticed that there are specific mission for specific aircrafts where those "huge and going high alt" smoke effetcs are presented (for the sake of D-day immersion I guess) and with those the performance drops a lot.

Are you sure your FPS issues are not due to these custom missions and its visual effects? Have you tried the performance of Normandy with a custom mission built by yourself without these effects?

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home