Air refueling

joojoo

Its certainly possible, not advised however.

I've struggled with AAR since the hornet was released, take all of the autopilot aids out of the equation and work on doing it by hand otherwise you'll find yourself a step behind the ball as the tanker maneuvers.

My recommendation is to set up a tanker at mach 0.64 at around 16,000 and keep connecting and disconnecting, you'll find the sweet spot on the throttle and continue to make small adjustments around that spot.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Hey to all

Is that possible to do an air to air refueling using the ATC? is it more helpful in terms that u can keep your speed steady? just asking.

Thanx

No. It is not helpful in DCS. One of the top AAR hints: there is no magic speed. So if you got used to this fact AAR will be much easier.

IRL though especially with a boom refuelling it could be easily possible (not necessarily allowed IDK?) to use ATC. But in DCS the connection itself is not stabilising your speed.

ook I see could you please tell me the speed in knots? 0.68=?

Mach number is going to depend on a number of factors, so I can't tell you exact speed.

Go into the editor and place the tanker at 16,000 and keep changing the speed until you find the correct Mach 0.64 is what I usually use, its fast enough that you're not stalling the aircraft, but slow enough that you can catch the tanker without burner.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Navy/Marine Corps philosophy during AR is that the pilot flys the probe in the basket while the tanker flys a steady platform. Air force pholosophy during AR is that the boom operator flys boom to the plane while the pilot flys a steady platform.

With that, we don't use auto throttles given it is the pilots job to do some of that pilot sh!t to plug. Nor do i think it would be considered "safe" to do so.

- hope it helps :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

I have found that not keeping a steady throttle helps. I am constantly moving the throttle forward and back half an inch of throw. If I am drifting away I bump it up an inch or two for one pulse, opposite if I am closing too much. The constant motion helps me to average out to smooth speed transitions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One thing I have to wonder...is Drogue drag simulated?

In real life the Drogue generates a significant amount of drag. On MPRS KC-135s and WARP KC-10s the drag of the Drogue on the hose is what deploys it. (This is the Simplified version...I know there are lots of other moving parts and springs)

Anyway as soon as you make "contact" the drogue...along with all of the drag it's generating is NOW firmly attached to YOUR aircraft. Some of that drag should be transferred to the receiver aircraft...how much is up to the propeller heads to decide.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Air force pholosophy during AR is that the boom operator flys boom to the plane while the pilot flys a steady platform.

That's because they're double checking their golf scores from the previous round :music_whistling:

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

That's because they're double checking their golf scores from the previous round :music_whistling:

During my 22 years as a boom operator I lost a boom nozzle one single time to an F-4 out of George AFB.

During the same 22 years I had NUMEROUS Navy receivers beat up the nose of their aircraft, gork up their probes or tear up my Drogue basket trying to get a contact.

I guess that means Air Force Pilots are good enough to play golf AND refuel without breaking their equipment. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

During my 22 years as a boom operator I lost a boom nozzle one single time to an F-4 out of George AFB.

During the same 22 years I had NUMEROUS Navy receivers beat up the nose of their aircraft, gork up their probes or tear up my Drogue basket trying to get a contact.

I guess that means Air Force Pilots are good enough to play golf AND refuel without breaking their equipment. :music_whistling:

George AFB brings back memories.

...because the KC-135 boom adapted drogue (AF to NV adapter) is not a good solution for navy/marine corps aircraft.

Only time i have ever seen a 135 drogue get beat up (or more importantly the right AOA probe, OAT probe, FOD the #2 eng, etc) was when the boom operator "thought" they were "helping" the pilot by moving the boom around during a plug instead of doing exactly nothing. The Ouija board effect doesn't work well during AR.

;) aren't anecdotal stories fun.(in jest)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

That's not true. The front-enders are too busy enjoying our filet mignon and glass of Merlot while George handles the flying. Overhead Mother, once you bait the hook, (drogue), it's amazing how much squid you can catch … :D

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]