Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

My grip is making a LOT of groaning plastic sounds when under load (strong spring, 175mm extension). Anyone experiencing the same?

Mine was doing the same I noticed today when moving the joystick to the left extreme. I also tightened my screws in the grip as they were a little loose and that solved it for me as well.

Interestingly one of the grip screws is really not tightening up, like it is not screwing into anything. But the rest seem to be taking care of it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, how long ago did you order it? I've asked for updates a few time now (the answer has always been 'hopefully next week') and I still don't have mine. Its frustrating...

Replied to your PM - as stated, your order was scheduled to dispatch today :thumbup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4729dbc069efd071ca76547ca10fe6e7.jpg

Is this the new throttle in design? Saw the pic in one of the non-English forums here and wasn't sure what I was really looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Is this the new throttle in design? Saw the pic in one of the non-English forums here and wasn't sure what I was really looking at.

Not really, it is a very very very early concept released at the start of this year. Back then we asked for input on what everyone wanted from the throttle - we used those suggestions to create the final design, which we are very excited to reveal. :thumbup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not really, it is a very very very early concept released at the start of this year. Back then we asked for input on what everyone wanted from the throttle - we used those suggestions to create the final design, which we are very excited to reveal.
When ,

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Not really, it is a very very very early concept released at the start of this year. Back then we asked for input on what everyone wanted from the throttle - we used those suggestions to create the final design, which we are very excited to reveal. :thumbup:

Awesome, looking forward to seeing the big reveal!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Has anyone greased this up with Nyogel 767a yet? Does it improve the stick at all?

I know this damping grease was a nectar from the gods for the Warthog, just curious if it transfers to improving the feel of this stick as well.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Has anyone greased this up with Nyogel 767a yet? Does it improve the stick at all?

I know this damping grease was a nectar from the gods for the Warthog, just curious if it transfers to improving the feel of this stick as well.

I can't imagine it ever needing any type of grease.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The reason Nyogel 767a works so well with the TM Warthog is due to the very large contact area between the moving parts of the gimbal.

The VPC MongoosT-50 doesn't suffer from the same problems as the TM Warthog so I'd imagine any difference would be minimal at best :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The reason Nyogel 767a works so well with the TM Warthog is due to the very large contact area between the moving parts of the gimbal.

The VPC MongoosT-50 doesn't suffer from the same problems as the TM Warthog so I'd imagine any difference would be minimal at best :thumbup:

Good to know, not worth the effort then once I order and receive my T50 base. Thank you!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Has anyone fitted this with the Wheel Stand Pro and it's joystick adapter on the center module? If so, can you please post some details (and preferably pictures) so I can wrap my head around how this would work out? Thank you!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

The groaning of the grip could be fixed by tightening the screws.

But now I have a new issue. After a while, the stick base started to make a "knacking" sound, together with a little resistance to overcome, when moving the stick on the roll axis from the center to the left (right on my installation, since it is backwards). I eventually opened the base, couldn't find anything and put everything back together, after which the problem went away. Now after some hours of use, it came back again. Anyone has experienced the same?

The groaning of the grip could be fixed by tightening the screws.

But now I have a new issue. After a while, the stick base started to make a "knacking" sound, together with a little resistance to overcome, when moving the stick on the roll axis from the center to the left (right on my installation, since it is backwards). I eventually opened the base, couldn't find anything and put everything back together, after which the problem went away. Now after some hours of use, it came back again. Anyone has experienced the same?

Not sure what you mean by "knacking" sound, but my new base makes a clicking type of sound when I move it along the roll axis, a single clicking sound in each direction of the roll axis., every time I move it. My original base ( that I buggered up), did not make this sound.

Don B

Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

After reading through the entire thread, even the most recent pages (where efforts for improvement by Cyph3r and Virpil are apparent) it seems it may be worth waiting a bit for Virpil to get their quality control under wraps...do current owners agree or disagree with this statement?

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

After reading through the entire thread, even the most recent pages (where efforts for improvement by Cyph3r and Virpil are apparent) it seems it may be worth waiting a bit for Virpil to get their quality control under wraps...do current owners agree or disagree with this statement?

I'm very happy with it, the only issues I've had was the cam and cam screws working themselves loose with use which I solved with some Loctite. Five weeks later and they're still solid.

I also took the whole thing apart(sorry Virpil, machining is my thing and I can't resist). Everything was well finished and fitted, no burrs or sharp corners. The bearings and axles fit perfectly with no play. Frankly everything looks overbuilt to the point where it'll outlast me. I'd advise against disassembling it any more than necessary to change cams/springs though, unless you enjoy aligning magnets.

I did also go through a few of the somewhat flimsy cam screws which I believe have been upgraded at this point?

I probably have somewhere between 15-20 hours in now with my new T-50 base.

For me, the issue with both bases has been the quality/fit of the cams, and the cam screws that were used in my first base.

I was somewhat surprised after all the talk about the above since initial release that my new base arrived with installed cams that were not smooth. The extra cams certainly were.

While I definitely feel and hear the roughness of my installed soft center cams, when I am flying I really do not notice it and of course do not hear it. Same with the clicking on the roll axis. I sure wish I knew what is causing this, my first base did not have that clicking sound. This stick has definitely helped my flying and accuracy of hitting enemy AI with my guns and cannons. So it does not seem to be affecting my flying in any way. I guess if I could just stop moving the stick around when not flying I might forget about it LOL. But kind of a habit for me I guess.

I sure hope my cams don't work themselves loose, last thing I want to do is to open her up after what I went through with my first base, although if I did have to I am sure I would be fine - at least would know what not to do.

Based on my experience and reading of some others' experience, it would definitely behoove them to tighten up on the QC of the cams they are sending out with their units. Everything else as far as I can tell is very solid.

To answer your question, at least in my opinion I would not hesitate to order this setup again if I had to do it over knowing what I know today. It is a pure joy to fly with this Virpil setup.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Can somebody who previously owned and used tm warthog with extension pipe, compare the two?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

I came from using a Warthog with 7.5cm extension. It is a decent backup for me should anything happen with my Virpil setup, but for now the Warthog stick is retired. The gimbal system in the Virpil setup is definitely better than the Warthog.

Hard to beat an all metal independent axis gimbal system.

Don B

I'm very happy with it, the only issues I've had was the cam and cam screws working themselves loose with use which I solved with some Loctite. Five weeks later and they're still solid.

I also took the whole thing apart(sorry Virpil, machining is my thing and I can't resist). Everything was well finished and fitted, no burrs or sharp corners. The bearings and axles fit perfectly with no play. Frankly everything looks overbuilt to the point where it'll outlast me. I'd advise against disassembling it any more than necessary to change cams/springs though, unless you enjoy aligning magnets.

I did also go through a few of the somewhat flimsy cam screws which I believe have been upgraded at this point?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll wait for Cyph3r to confirm that they are using new screws. I definitely won't be doing any more assembly/disassembly of the base than what is absolutely necessary. Not my thing at all, I hate tinkering like that to be honest...makes me too nervous I'm going to break something lol

I probably have somewhere between 15-20 hours in now with my new T-50 base.

For me, the issue with both bases has been the quality/fit of the cams, and the cam screws that were used in my first base.

I was somewhat surprised after all the talk about the above since initial release that my new base arrived with installed cams that were not smooth. The extra cams certainly were.

While I definitely feel and hear the roughness of my installed soft center cams, when I am flying I really do not notice it and of course do not hear it. Same with the clicking on the roll axis. I sure wish I knew what is causing this, my first base did not have that clicking sound. This stick has definitely helped my flying and accuracy of hitting enemy AI with my guns and cannons. So it does not seem to be affecting my flying in any way. I guess if I could just stop moving the stick around when not flying I might forget about it LOL. But kind of a habit for me I guess.

I sure hope my cams don't work themselves loose, last thing I want to do is to open her up after what I went through with my first base, although if I did have to I am sure I would be fine - at least would know what not to do.

Based on my experience and reading of some others' experience, it would definitely behoove them to tighten up on the QC of the cams they are sending out with their units. Everything else as far as I can tell is very solid.

To answer your question, at least in my opinion I would not hesitate to order this setup again if I had to do it over knowing what I know today. It is a pure joy to fly with this Virpil setup.

That would drive me nuts having a grinding noise on something new like this, even if I couldn't hear it when flying. I appreciate your feedback.

I'll look to Cyph3r to confirm that the cams on all future builds that leave the factory will be double checked for smoothness to make sure the faulty ones from the early production runs are gone for good.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

A little update on my problem. After the situation became worse (I could now feel a distinct bump when hearing the sound) I opened the base again and could see that the roll cam had some wiggle. I tightened the screws, which solved the problem. After putting the base together again, roll was fine, but now I could notice the same on the pitch axis. I opened the base again and could see that also the pitch cam had some wiggle. The screws were already fully tight but I gave them some more. Putting the base back together the situation improved a bit, but after some minutes of use deteriorated noticeably. Roll is still fine, but I can feel and hear a distinct bump on the pitch axis.

Edit: Ok, join me live as my stick falls apart. I can literally feel how my pitch and roll cams come looser and looser. Time to open the thing up for the sixth time... *sigh*

Edited by MBot

My T-50 has finally arrived yesterday! Ordered on Oct 4th from Amazon EU, arrived yesterday despite *may* issues with the courier.

Everything is quite impressive: desk mounts are sturdy and heavy, the first feeling with the T-50 hasn't been the best, I found it too hard for my tastes. I quickly took it apart, change the default springs with the blue ones and now it's amazing. I did some quick flights on DCS, Il2 and Star Citizen and the precision is incredible compared to the normal, not desk-mounted sticks.

Only two issues at the moment: calibration was a bit off, I used windows' tool to reset it but (as many have already said) it messes up the breaks. Not a big deal, I can wait for the official software to come out and fix it.

Second issue: the trigger is registered as a single button. I hear just one click despite pressing it completely. Am I missing something?

More impressions later on, I'm still struggling to fix the MFDs on the throttle's sides in order to place the CH MFP right in front of the stick :)

t50c.jpg

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Edit: Ok, join me live as my stick falls apart. I can literally feel how my pitch and roll cams come looser and looser. Time to open the thing up for the sixth time... *sigh*

I was wrong on this one. After opening the base again I could see that the cams were still fixed. What I noticed though was that the screws holding the thread for the stick have become completely loose!

attachment.php?attachmentid=170686&stc=1&d=1507979937

After tightening them again, the stick is now perfectly smooth again.

Let me recap: After using the T-50 for two weeks, I had:

-Screws in grip being loose

-Cams coming loose

-Screws holding stick-thread becoming loose

Don't get my wrong, I love the stick and when it works, it is fantastic. But there seem to be serious quality issues.

t-50.jpg.84acbda9b2c8c7c24780d11f19595a8f.jpg

Edited by MBot

My T-50 has finally arrived yesterday! Ordered on Oct 4th from Amazon EU, arrived yesterday despite *may* issues with the courier.

Everything is quite impressive: desk mounts are sturdy and heavy, the first feeling with the T-50 hasn't been the best, I found it too hard for my tastes. I quickly took it apart, change the default springs with the blue ones and now it's amazing. I did some quick flights on DCS, Il2 and Star Citizen and the precision is incredible compared to the normal, not desk-mounted sticks.

Only two issues at the moment: calibration was a bit off, I used windows' tool to reset it but (as many have already said) it messes up the breaks. Not a big deal, I can wait for the official software to come out and fix it.

Second issue: the trigger is registered as a single button. I hear just one click despite pressing it completely. Am I missing something?

They really need to put a big warning with the documentation to not try calibrating in Windows, as it for sure will mess up the brake paddle axis.

I would send an email to Cyph3r at sale@virpil.com. He can get you in touch with their support and they can correct that remotely for you I believe.

Also, yes you should be getting a second button press when pulling the trigger all the way in. You should also feel that second click.

Don B