The F-35 Thread

Groove

you always want to get your opponent to come onto your turf and fight on your terms, that's how you stack the cards in your favor. the f-35 is winning battles by simply existing.

If the F-35 ever flies against the Russians, it will probably be in Russian turf.

The US military is deployed in more than 150 countries around the world, in > 800 sites, with over 300,000 of its active-duty personnel serving outside the United States and its territories.

Russia has bases in 10 overseas countries, 8 of which either border Russia, or are geographically close to Russia and were historically part of the USSR.

We tend not to think about it, but the US is more expansionist than Russia, and therefore less likely to have their "opponent to come onto (their) turf"

If you doubt this, wathch this through a couple of times & consider the territorial gains of Russia relative to NATO since the end of WWII.

Remember that since this was made, the West has gained the (territorially very large) Ukraine, and Russia has gained the (territorially very small) Crimean peninsular

picture.php?albumid=1048&pictureid=6996

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an American jet supported by (decades of accumulated) American corporate knowledge on how repairs to such a jet should be undertaken.

Which in this case was: "We'll probably take it back to the factory"

meaning at this stage, in L.M.'s opinion, it's possibly beyond the expertise of the local tech crew...

There's no reason for anyone to take offense from that, it's just a summary of what happened.

That's my last comment on this event.

Cheers.

If the F-35 ever flies against the Russians, it will probably be in Russian turf.

picture.php?albumid=1048&pictureid=6996

please, it's a figurative phrase :doh:

are you so bent on trying to fit things to your narrative you literally can't comprehend what others are trying to say

Which in this case was: "We'll probably take it back to the factory"

meaning at this stage, in L.M.'s opinion, it's possibly beyond the expertise of the local tech crew...

There's no reason for anyone to take offense from that, it's just a summary of what happened.

That's my last comment on this event.

No offence taken, just pointing out that VLO technology isn't new for the US at all, and even the Israelis themselves will be benefiting from that fact.

It is not just stealth that makes the F-35 great.

It is the F-35's ability to ensure true connectivity within the battle field and connectivity to all other assets that have the ability to see, search, hunt targets and are also able to stream data.

The F-35 has instantaneous target information even when out of range, friendly and enemy positions are updated like liquid and unfortunately command coms will be just as good.

Basically the F-35 is a natural extension of what the Apache/OH-58 helicopter laid true.

The F-35 is a massive advance in modern warfare and the Apache E will join the window of truth.

They are an incredible advancement in modern warfare.....the Apache is already in the top ten but the F-35 will earn its right to be within the top 10 along with the maxim machinegun!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Living in Phoenix and having at least an ear to the aviation scene (if not a firm foothold in it), the chatter says the pilots and crews at Luke are both pleased and constantly surprised at how capable the F-35 really is.

Broader public opinion is way off the mark.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

when I look at this airframe.... she looks more beautiful every time I look at her!

Do you know what I mean.

She is a western world babe and believe me, in America the sales man may be king.... but not in Europe and yet she is selling!

In Australia she is selling!

These guys, Europe and Australia do not suffer fools lightly.

This is a Global machine that required multiple nations to invest in its ability!

It is a serious piece of Fu£king kit!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

when I look at this airframe.... she looks more beautiful every time I look at her!

Do you know what I mean.

Completely agree.

So fat and ugly the first time, but those nose-on views showing the humps in the "shoulders" are amazing.

kRlIGRW.png

--gos

Also, these are stealth aircraft that no one has much experience repairing.

If it was a very minor bird strike, the "evaporator"* might do the job.

If it was anything even remotely near something like this:

fighter_plane_after_bird_strike.jpg then you'd probably want to send it back to the factory Reps to check that it's still stealthy after the repairs.

That would probably be true if the damage were caused by a SAM going off somewhere in the vicinity too... :)

*Only $44m, limited numbers available. Not available in shops, ring now for a 30 day free trial and pay only P&H. First 25 purchasers receive a second evaporator free for only the extra P&H

Under the Radar Absorbing Structure (RAS) and the Radar Absorbing Material (RAM) the aircraft should be like any other. So repairing it is not that complicated. RAS is prefabricated and installed like any other structure on the aircraft and there are ways to test the RCS in the field.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Do you know what I mean.

It just has the good old Myspace Angles.

It looks fairly bland from some, but it looks stellar in other.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Under the Radar Absorbing Structure (RAS) and the Radar Absorbing Material (RAM) the aircraft should be like any other. So repairing it is not that complicated. RAS is prefabricated and installed like any other structure on the aircraft and there are ways to test the RCS in the field.

You don't have to convince me - it was Lockheed Martin that said they were considering taking it back to the states to repair, I was just passing on the news.

Cheers.

it was Lockheed Martin that said they were considering taking it back to the states to repair, I was just passing on the news.

That was not what they said though, actually since the incident months ago, i don't recall reading anything about LM transport F-35 back from Israel to USA to repair

The Air Force fears that despite the planned re-use of the evaporator, it is not clear whether it will retain its evasive ability. The IDF confirmed the details and said that at no stage was life threatening to the pilot and are now awaiting the opinion of Lockheed Martin, the manufacturer of the plane, regarding the extent of the damage caused to it.

Edited by garrya

That was not what they said though, actually since the incident months ago, i don't recall reading anything about LM transport F-35 back from Israel to USA to repair

You're quite right, I didn't bother going back to re-read the post and I misremembered.

The quote was:

(...) However, the plane is grounded since the incident and it is unclear when it will resume activity - if at all.

The Air Force fears that despite the planned re-use of the evaporator, it is not clear whether it will retain its evasive ability. The IDF confirmed the details and said that at no stage was life threatening to the pilot and are now awaiting the opinion of Lockheed Martin (...)

Which, as you've pointed out, says that it was the Israeli air force - not Lockheed Martin - that thought the repairs might be beyond the capabilities of their technicians.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

F-35 will be getting AGCAS much sooner than planned. Copy pasta of the internal LM article:

F-35 To Incorporate Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System

by Aero Communications — POSTED ON FEBRUARY 12, 2018

Story Highlights

• The F-35 enterprise recently approved a strategy to accelerate the implementation of anti-collision software five-years earlier than originally planned.

• The Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System (Auto-GCAS) is designed to prevent controlled flight into terrain mishaps by executing an automatic recovery maneuver when impact with the ground is imminent.

• Once the program recognizes the aircraft is likely to crash, it prompts the pilot to evade either a ground crash or a controlled flight into terrain situation. If no action is taken, Auto GCAS assumes temporary control.

MBJHf1L.jpg

The F-35 enterprise recently approved a strategy to accelerate the implementation of anti-collision software five-years earlier than originally planned.

The Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System (Auto-GCAS) is designed to prevent controlled flight into terrain mishaps by executing an automatic recovery maneuver when impact with the ground is imminent. It accomplishes this feat through a predicted trajectory, based on GPS positioning and system altitude, which is compared with an onboard Digital Terrain Database. Once the program recognizes the aircraft is likely to crash, it prompts the pilot to evade either a ground crash or a controlled flight into terrain situation. If no action is taken, Auto GCAS assumes temporary control, engaging an autopilot maneuver to roll the aircraft upright and initiate a 5-G pull, diverting the plane and pilot out of harm’s way. After putting the plane on a safe trajectory, the system returns aircraft control to the pilot.

The anti-collision software was developed at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) at Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio and after years of testing and improvements made to digital mapping technology, the system became operational when it was installed on F-16s in 2014. Since then, seven pilots and six F-16 aircraft have credited AutoGCAS with lives and equipment. As the first recorded save happened just four months after completion of testing, the F-35 Joint Program Office has placed a premium on the quickest possible implementation of Auto-GCAS.

“Our acquisition team is working with the warfighters to ensure Auto-GCAS is in every F-35,” said Vice Adm. Mat Winter, F-35 Program Executive Officer. “Expediting this lifesaving technology into the F-35 fleet by 2019 is estimated to prevent the loss of three aircraft, and more importantly, save the lives of three pilots. Over the service life of the F-35 fleet, having Auto-GCAS is estimated to prevent more than 26 ground collisions from happening.”

25h0UlJ.jpg

Currently, F-35s are equipped with an earlier version of the software that provides pilots with a Manual Ground Collision Avoidance System (MGCAS). With this system, a pilot must be able to hear, see, process, and heed the MGCAS warning, and manually fly the aircraft away from the ground. If a pilot becomes disoriented or incapacitated, he or she may not be able to respond to MGCAS warnings, and their chances of survival severely deteriorate.

"We commend Congress and the F-35 Joint Program Office for their leadership and partnership in advancing new technologies like the Auto Ground Collision Avoidance System (AGCAS) to help save lives," said Jeff Babione, Lockheed Martin Executive Vice President and General Manager of the F-35 Program. "Lockheed Martin originally developed this system in partnership with the Air Force Research Laboratory and NASA – and it has already saved the lives of several F-16 pilots and their aircraft since 2014. We’re proud to support the Department of Defense and our international customers to accelerate the integration of this potential life-saving technology on the F-35."

Now that Auto-GCAS technology is mature and operational on other aircraft, engineers and program managers from the F-35 Joint Program Office, AFRL, and Lockheed Martin were able to confirm this capability was ready to enter a rapid integration process on the F-35.

Implementing this new capability is part of an F-35 modernization, enhancements and improvement program that will build on the foundational warfighting capability in Block 3F and will continue within the established framework of the joint, multi-national F-35 Lightning II program that includes U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, eight cooperative international partners and three foreign military sales customers.

Photos taken by Liz Lutz and Matt Short.

• 2 weeks later...